[Solved] Recording XLR while playing live

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
This is way premature. Except that it happens repeatedly, so I must be doing something wrong.

I’m rehearsing in my studio. Full band. Drums, bass and keyboards. I’m leading the rehearsal and playing through my AX8 and a pair of XiTone wedges. I’m not using humbusters but I guess I should. I have them. I also take a couple of XLRs out from the AX8 and plug those into the patch bay to my interface to my DAW.

The problem: I get massive hum. Not so much in the XiTones, but on the recorded AX8 tracks. Actually hardly any single.

Premature because I haven’t done any troubleshooting. But i don’t know why this should be. I’ve given these to FOH abd haven’t heard a complaint but maybe they just haven’t told me. Sometimes they also take the direct from the XiTone. Maybe this is why?

I’ll troubleshoot a little later. Nothing really important at the moment. Normally if I’m reakky recording I’m in the control room and using my Axe III. No problem with that. There isn’t a setting I need to do in the I/O menu?

Question #2:

How do I take a clean DI for later reamping? This is what I want -

2 outs XLR for recording.
1 clean mono out for re-amp.
2 1/4” for the XiTone wedges.

the XLR shouldn't have hum. hardly any signal seems like more of a concern. do the XLR cables work for sure?

Can you bypass the patchbay you mentioned and go direct to the Audio Interface? Just to rule out the patchbay as being the issue seeing as it seems the only likely thing missing when you play live and have no problems with the XLR feeds to FOH.

Can you bypass the patchbay you mentioned and go direct to the Audio Interface? Just to rule out the patchbay as being the issue seeing as it seems the only likely thing missing when you play live and have no problems with the XLR feeds to FOH.
patchbay is not the right term. It’s snake box used to get the mics into the control room. And no i can’t bypass it. https://www.redco.com/REDCO-16ch-XLR-Dsub-Input-Box.html

I could test it in the control room just to eliminate.

Try the ground lift switch for the XLRs at the rear.

Try the ground lift switch for the XLRs at the rear.
Yeah, I know. That's not it.

BTW to answer my own unanswered question, the "OUT 2", FX send, is used for the dry DI send. I have to set it up with the FXL block like the II?

I wrote the problem solved post this morning but I didn’t post it. Then it got lost. There seems to be a faulty input 19. I don’t know whether this is the snake box or a dsub or somewhere in a cable along the way. I’ll ferret it out over the weekend. Luckily I have 34 channels I/O so I don’t NEED to use 19. I just want everything to work perfectly. But it appears not to be AX8. I didn’t think it was.

Back
Top Bottom