SOLVED: Presets sound crap after firmware.

You might also want to reinstall the firmware. Every once in a great while everything sounds weird after a firmware update. Doing a reinstall has helped me and others in the past. But most likely the other suggestions are the answer.

i've never had to do major retaking between any fw update.

when someone starts using terms like things sound "horrible" and "terrible" it makes me think they are either over reacting in big way or something got bunked up.

My presets with the VH4 and HBE100 no longer sound great after upgrading from 16.02 to 16.04. They sound fizzy and don't feel the same at all. Not sure what changed, but I haven't been able to get them back to the way they were before.

Posted with TapTalk for iPhone, please forgive the spelling errors.

There were no changes to those models between 16.02 and 16.04.

Cheers for all replies and ideas, if it is the power amp modeling being bypassed, why? I havent touched settings, all I do is update and listen. I havent even written a proper patch yet. This is very nearly a stock factory default setting which sounded great, and after firmware some patches are low in volume, some scream, the Marshalls sound like handryers..all after doing exactly what the firmware instruction says, I will try some of the ideas tomorrow..thanks again everyone

I am having this problem also. Most of the presets with a drive added sound squashed or heavily compressed. I have reloaded the latest firmware and checked the power amp modeling and updated amps all presets and reduced cpu usage to the 70+ percent range. Nothing distorted sounds good (kind of like a busted speaker). Have been upgrading since 9.02 with all the upgrades and have not had a problem that I was not able to fix.

For me, all of my patches are based on the amp and cab by themselves and then a minimal amount of effects that I turn on if needed for a song. In other words, there is no drive engaged to get my sound...nor a compressor, nor an EQ...nor any other effect. I've never had a bad experience per se with new FW once I reset the block and get levels right. I feel bad for those that have these issues though...that would stink and make me gun shy about upgrading constantly.

One basic thing you guys must do is to state what FW you had before update. It's very hard to know if it's something wrong, or just need for a redo of presets.
And much more difficult to help.

Some guys go from FW10.xx --> 16.04.1 (you have to redo things)
Some guys go from FW16.02 --> 16.04.1 (you should not have to do anything) Please try to download it again and reinstall the FW.

Also concider that "terrible" etc says nothing about what changed or how it sounds.

Describe it a little better, post preset and/or provide a clip.
We can solve thing MUCH faster.

Last edited:
Cheers for all replies and ideas, if it is the power amp modeling being bypassed, why? I havent touched settings, all I do is update and listen. I havent even written a proper patch yet. This is very nearly a stock factory default setting which sounded great, and after firmware some patches are low in volume, some scream, the Marshalls sound like handryers..all after doing exactly what the firmware instruction says, I will try some of the ideas tomorrow..thanks again everyone

We may think of it as the holy grail but the Axe-Fx still is a computer. And stuff can happen.
Just reset the system params (Utility menu) to make sure everything is working like it should.

Ahhh....geeessss...Yek....how can you burst my bubble like that! All this time I thought I finally found the holy grail now you come out of the woodwork telling me it's a freakin COMPUTER!!! Next thing you’re going to be telling me there's no Santa Clause! :cry :cry

We may think of it as the holy grail but the Axe-Fx still is a computer. And stuff can happen.
Just reset the system params (Utility menu) to make sure everything is working like it should.

Reactions: yek
Seldom has it happened for me, but it has , that things aren't right after an update . The first thing I do is back up and do a reset , if that doesn't work (usually does),check the global settings, Power amp modeling, cab modeling to make sure they are on , sometimes switch off and back on , most allways one of these is the culprit. If not Re install FW. If that doesn't fix it . start deleting blocks to see which one is borking things. It's been quite some time since I've had a problem, everything has worked great here for the last several FW updates ,and mine sounds better each time , The best tones I've had!! 16.04 sounds incredible here!!!

Also ,if by chance you have active pickups, try a new battery , this has caused numerous problems (such as this)in the past!!!

Dude! thats exactly what I've got..mine sound like speaker has blown on most gain channels

But what did you do in the meantime to try to solve this?
Continuing complaining doesn't help you or us with assisting you.

Did you reset the unit?
Did you reset the amp block?
Did you bypass all blocks except amp and cab?
Did you check the global params?
Etc.

But what did you do in the meantime to try to solve this?
Continuing complaining doesn't help you or us with assisting you.

Did you reset the unit?
Did you reset the amp block?
Did you bypass all blocks except amp and cab?
Did you check the global params?
Etc.

+1 not seeing any follow up info ????

Dude! thats exactly what I've got..mine sound like speaker has blown on most gain channels

Sounds to me that you are clipping the outputs. Are the bottom two red lights coming on ?
Out 1 clip / Out 2 clip ? with many of the most recent fw updates I found the factory presets were clipping the outputs . Simply go into the amp block and turn down the level.I can tell right off a preset is clipping outputs , strum guitar = blown speaker sound = red lights = Turn down "level" . Pain to have to edit every preset one by one but a simple fix.

BTW the Dizzy VH4 silver ,amp Is the high gain bomb \m/

There were no changes to those models between 16.02 and 16.04.

Thanks - I read that they weren't changed, but there is still a significant tone change in my presets. Besides the reverbs, were any effects changed?

I can't really explain how they have changed aside from saying they are fizzy, darker and lack the clarity they used to have.

Thanks - I read that they weren't changed, but there is still a significant tone change in my presets. Besides the reverbs, were any effects changed?

I can't really explain how they have changed aside from saying they are fizzy, darker and lack the clarity they used to have.

Try to deduce the possible causes.

1 - Check the parameters in Global and I/O > Audio. In case of doubt: reset them (Utility menu).
2 - Start a blank preset, add just an Amp and Cab. Make sure to initialize (reset) amp and cab. Now dial those blocks in using the same values as in your existing preset. Verify the settings in the grid input (impedance, noise gate) and grid output (levels).
3 - Does it sound the same, better or worse?

Mine are not built around Marshall tones, but everything I have sounds the same or noticeably better. I don't have any pure factory presets at all now. No worries here.

Back
Top Bottom