[solved] Preset I Purchased Won't Open, On Latest FW

Hi, I recently purchased a preset, and when I load it into Axe Edit III, it looks as if it is loading but just shows up as "Empty". I just updated to the latest FW (12.14) but still no luck.

I have tried:

• Opening it via Import Preset
  • Dragging the preset into Axe Edit
  • Dragging it into Manage Presets tool

When I drag it into the Manage Preset tool, I drop it into an empty spot. The preset number shows up in red, and when I click Save, it turns black. Then when I close preset Manager, the preset is no longer there and it goes back to Empty

Any suggestions?

mr anonymous – I’m curious about how you came to the Axe-FX III, and the Fractal community here on the forum. I’m (honestly!) not trying to be snide … there’s kind of a Rip Van Winkle quality to your experience.

It doesn’t seem like you could have spent much time on the forums, or you would have noticed all the talk about Cygnus (firmware v16). Did you wind up getting your Axe-FX on something of a whim, without much research, or pick up a used unit from a friend? Again – I’m not trying to give you a hard time – I’m just curious about how this wound up happening to you. I’m glad you asked for help here on the forum.

And you might not know it, but Admin M@ put a titanic amount of work into the presets for the new system … if you haven’t realized it yet, you’ll need to load those, too.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-factory-presets-16-04.174230/

Not to mention that you should make sure you have the very latest versions of AxeEdit, FractalBot, any USB drivers, etc. Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited:
mr anonymous – I’m curious about how you came to the Axe-FX III, and the Fractal community here on the forum. I’m (honestly!) not trying to be snide … there’s kind of a Rip Van Winkle quality to your experience.

It doesn’t seem like you could have spent much time on the forums, or you would have noticed all the talk about Cygnus (firmware v16). Did you wind up getting your Axe-FX on something of a whim, without much research, or pick up a used unit from a friend? Again – I’m not trying to give you a hard time – I’m just curious about how this wound up happening to you. I’m glad you asked for help here on the forum.

And you might not know it, but Admin M@ put a titanic amount of work into the presets for the new system … if you haven’t realized it yet, you’ll need to load those, too.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-factory-presets-16-04.174230/

Not to mention that you should make sure you have the very latest versions of AxeEdit, FractalBot, any USB drivers, etc. Good luck, and have fun!
Hi, thanks for the info. I did not know about the new factory presets, as like you guessed, I haven't spent much time on the forum yet. I will be sure to install them.

I got the Axe FX 3 last year, and found a preset that has been pretty much my go-to, so I just kinda set it to that and never really updated the firmware properly.

What happened is whenever I open Axe Edit, there is a prompt to update. I would usually just hit Cancel as I was afraid that I would screw something up. Everything was working great so I just left it as is. When I got the new preset, I decided it's time to update, so I hit OK, thinking this prompt would update my firmware. It turns out that was just the update for Axe Edit software, which downloaded an installer.

So after that was done I thought I was on the new firmware, not realizing I needed to download Fractal Bot and update that way.

Just a stupid error on my end lol.

I've been with Fractal for a few years now, I had a brain (or Brian) fart last week - I have some purchased presets that were made with 16.04 - I had downloaded it but then moved. Most of the presets weren't working and then I looked at my Axe and discovered that I was still on 16.01 or something. In my mind I had updated to 16.04 but in all the moving, apparently did not. Once I installed, everything was outstanding. So, I guess I'm just saying that we all mess up sometimes. Welcome to the forum @mranonymous. Have fun with literally theee best modeler on the market.

So after that was done I thought I was on the new firmware, not realizing I needed to download Fractal Bot and update that way.

Not stupid at all; we all start at square one, and there’s a lot to learn about these great tools.

As you spend time on the forums, you’ll find that everyone has questions, and that everyone is eager and happy to help. The quality of this community is an invaluable part of owning Fractal gear, and you’ll find that with pretty much any issue you have, someone else has faced the same thing, and can offer good advice or resources to get things done.

And you never know who is going to step in and help! (you won’t believe how the new factory presets sound and feel to play … )

Not at all! I remember asking beginner questions. Cliff himself helped me.

In fact, I was just thinking yesterday about the text of those "Update" prompts.

There's definitely a little room for improvement in them, I think. For instance, someone who relies on Axe-Edit or Fractal-Bot will not know about the new factory presets, since there are never any prompts about this.

Maybe there could be a "Product Announcements" link in each editor to a forum thread for that editor's product. This would grow serially with the most important news and updates for that specific product.

Last edited:
I've been with Fractal for a few years now, I had a brain (or Brian) fart last week - I have some purchased presets that were made with 16.04 - I had downloaded it but then moved. Most of the presets weren't working and then I looked at my Axe and discovered that I was still on 16.01 or something. In my mind I had updated to 16.04 but in all the moving, apparently did not. Once I installed, everything was outstanding. So, I guess I'm just saying that we all mess up sometimes. Welcome to the forum @mranonymous. Have fun with literally theee best modeler on the market.

Oh yikes! Yeah these things happen. Thank you for the encouragement, all is working perfectly on my end now too after the update

Not stupid at all; we all start at square one, and there’s a lot to learn about these great tools.

As you spend time on the forums, you’ll find that everyone has questions, and that everyone is eager and happy to help. The quality of this community is an invaluable part of owning Fractal gear, and you’ll find that with pretty much any issue you have, someone else has faced the same thing, and can offer good advice or resources to get things done.

And you never know who is going to step in and help! (you won’t believe how the new factory presets sound and feel to play … )

Yes thank you, the forum has been quite helpful

I am going to install those new presets now, just backing up my old ones and I will be excited to hear what you guys came up with!

Hi, thanks for the info. I did not know about the new factory presets, as like you guessed, I haven't spent much time on the forum yet. I will be sure to install them.

I got the Axe FX 3 last year, and found a preset that has been pretty much my go-to, so I just kinda set it to that and never really updated the firmware properly.

What happened is whenever I open Axe Edit, there is a prompt to update. I would usually just hit Cancel as I was afraid that I would screw something up. Everything was working great so I just left it as is. When I got the new preset, I decided it's time to update, so I hit OK, thinking this prompt would update my firmware. It turns out that was just the update for Axe Edit software, which downloaded an installer.

Total respect for this! Someone who to the amazement of the rest of us spends their time making music not sitting around on the forum talking about Coke v Dr Pepper while waiting for the next update to start the whole cycle again (and I include myself in the guilty) :)

Back
Top Bottom