[solved] Popping noise on headphones when powering up/down FM3

arborman7

This question is regarding the headphone version of the FM3.
Sorry, I tried to search if anyone else was running into this issue but I could not find any information.
Is anybody else noticing a loud popping noise on the headphones when powering on/off the FM3?

Thanks,

I don't have the headphones version but this is pretty common in most applications when some sort of monitoring device is connected, headphones included.

That is most likely expected behavior, although I don't have experience with the FM3 so I can't confirm. It does this with the Axe Fx II and III.

You would have similar results from powered speakers plugged in to the outputs.

The general rule for devices like this is to turn off powered speakers (or amp) first and turn them on last.

For headphones you can equate that to "unplug/plug"...

Turn volume completely down on unit before turning on & shutting down. You magically will no longer hear any popping:cool:

Thanks for the replies. The reason I brought it up is because the popping is occurring even with the output 1 turned all the way down so I thought it was a bit strange. Please disregard this as a non-issue. I just tried it on my Axe Fx 3 and noticed the exact same behavior. I didn't notice this before as I rarely use it with headphones.

The popping noise still happens even if output dials are turned all the way down.

If this can be fixed with firmware, it should be.

Even a lot of high-end audio and studio equipment do this. Power on sequence, speakers last (plug in headphones). Power off sequence, speakers first (pull headphones).

Back
Top Bottom