[solved] Per-preset lay-out

Have had my FM3 for a week now, coming from AX8. On the AX8 I had a preset set up specifically for each song (pretty much), with specific effects / scenes / XY switching / control switches etc. assigned to particular footswtiches. Moving to the FM3, I decided to try and bring it down to ca. 5 presets, e.g. acoustic, clean, crunch, rock and perhaps something else. Then within those presets I'd like to use scenes, effects, channels, control switches etc. to get different sounds for different songs sharing that same preset.

Am I right in thinking that the way to do that is to use the Per-Preset lay-out with all switches using overrides? Otherwise the Per-Preset lay-out isn't actually per-preset at all, as the assignments are the same regardless of what preset you select. It's probably because I'm new to the FM3, but I find this somewhat confusing. It seems to me the "Per-Preset lay-out" is actually a "Custom lay-out" which allows you to assign switches to do certain things across ALL presets. Please correct me if I'm wrong, still have lots to learn...

Confess I don't understand it either. There's so much this unit can do that it sometimes borders on a visual programming language.

Per Preset is a great way to setup the footswitches. It's simply a matter of assigning the effects, scenes or controllers you want for each footswitch in the preset. Haven't delved into per preset overrides, I've been able to do what I need just assigning switches 'Per Preset'.

Per Preset is a great way to setup the footswitches. It's simply a matter of assigning the effects, scenes or controllers you want for each footswitch in the preset. Haven't delved into per preset overrides, I've been able to do what I need just assigning switches 'Per Preset'.
I guess whether you need overrides or not depends on how different your presets are. It’s great to have the option of creating our own lay-out that you can use across presets, it allows for consistent use of fs while using very different ‘gear’. Only thing I don’t get is why FAS decided to call that “per- preset”, because that’s not what it is (unless you do use overrides).

Thanks! I think that answers my question and it seems the answer is: yes, the only way to get a real Pre-preset assignment of foot switches is to use overrides. It just seemed counterintuitive as the manual labelled this as “exceptional”...
That’s not true. Use per preset placeholders on a layout, and you need to define the functions per-preset. There is a default layout with all placeholders.

Overrides are an option for changing one or a few (or all) switches on a layout that doesn’t have per-preset placeholders.

That’s not true. Use per preset placeholders on a layout, and you need to define the functions per-preset. There is a default layout with all placeholders.

Overrides are an option for changing one or a few (or all) switches on a layout that doesn’t have per-preset placeholders.
Ok now my brain hurts. I’ll have to read this 10 times to understand what you mean... quite a steep learning curve, or is that just me?

agree...the Per Preset is confusing....
Whether using an override or using Per-Preset switches in a layout, the basic premise is that it is letting you define that switch specifically for just that preset. This is handy for engaging effects, channel-switching them, or control-switching parameters or bypass states (mong other things) that may not exist universally in all of your presets. Maybe you have a preset with a flanger added for one particular song. You can use a per-preset switch or override to switch it or poke at settings or switch its channels. A different preset may have an unusual second drive pedal. Same deal....

Ok now my brain hurts. I’ll have to read this 10 times to understand what you mean... quite a steep learning curve, or is that just me?
Go to default layout 6. These are all placeholders. When you add the functions to the PerPreset area, those will appear on the switches. Overrides not needed.

There are 2 parts to per-preset switches: assigning the switches to a Placeholder - this tells the switch what to do - look at Placeholder 1 for the function. This is already done in default layout 6.

Then assign the actual function in the preset, like Delay on/off - this tells the Placeholder what to do.

so PP#1 corresponds to the 1st left foot-switch ? or it goes wherever .......
It goes wherever you assign PP#1. In the default layout, it happens to be switch 1.

Just like External Controllers, #1 doesn’t automatically mean pedal jack 1. It’s wherever you assign it.

Last edited:
so PP#1 corresponds to the 1st left foot-switch ? or it goes wherever .......
It goes wherever you define a switch in a layout as being a receptacle for PP#1.

It can also go wherever you override a switch in a layout with that particular PP#1 setting.

Tutorial videos are really helpful and awesome, however,
in my humble opinion, no lesson for either Stand-In Hold
function and Per-Preset setup that were not clear in Manual.
Greatly appreciated for a tutorial video on these themes...

Back
Top Bottom