[Solved] No sound from Mac through FM3 [Out 2]

what doesn't work?

The problem reported in the original post.

I'm still not able to get USB audio over output 2.
  • Yes, I have Output 2 Copy set to "None".
  • No, I do not have an Output 2 block in the grid.
  • Yes, I configured the Audio settings for my iMac as shown by Matt earlier in this thread.
I do not have any problem getting USB audio from output 1.

The problem reported in the original post.

the conditions in the original post won't get USB audio to Out 2:
FM3 connected straight into my MacBook Pro via USB

Y cable out of Output 2 into a headphone amp. I have sound out from the FM3 when I'm playing guitar through it.
I have Output 1 copied to Output 2.
When I play a YouTube video the Analog Out and USB In meters are in fact lighting up but no sound. (on the Mac, FM3 is selected as the In/Out device) Any ideas?

by default, USB audio does not go to Out 2. Copy Out 1 to Out 2 does not also copy the USB audio. so the Original Post may be irrelevant by this point of the discussion.

from there,
I'm still not able to get USB audio over output 2.
  • Yes, I have Output 2 Copy set to "None".
  • No, I do not have an Output 2 block in the grid.
  • Yes, I configured the Audio settings for my iMac as shown by Matt earlier in this thread.
the Mac settings are a bit tricky. i had to fiddle with them a bit before it worked. i'm not at my gear now, but be sure to click "Apply" before you hit Done in that Mac Audio setup screen or it won't change over. and be sure to turn the Out 2 knob up. this should work, as you're telling the computer to route its audio through the 2nd USB "Channel" of the FM3.

note this will only get USB audio out of Out 2, and no guitar/FM3 sounds. as you alluded to, having Copy Out 1 to Out 2 or having an Out 2 block will mute the USB audio to Out 2 even after doing the Mac Audio Setup settings.

@cberry - as noted by @Scented Meat : Copy Out 1 to Out 2 will NOT move the USB audio signal. On the Mac, however, you can route audio to out 2 using these instructions:
  1. Open Audio MIDI Setup.
  2. Select the FM3 device from the list, then click Configure Speakers.
  3. Make sure that the Configuration is set to “Stereo” and then select the desired left and right channels.
  4. Click Done to finish.
  5. View attachment 66438

@Admin M@ It looks like you started to type a step 5 and that's the one piece of information that's missing in these instructions.

5. On the FM3 in the Setup > I/O > Audio menu, change the DIGITAL I/O CONFIGURATION USB 3,4 Playback Destination value to "OUTPUT 2"

USB Audio through Output 2 is working for me now.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me out to get to this setting please? "Output 2 Copy set to "None"."

I can't get USB audio in + out of my mac either. I've gone into mac audio settings and chosen the FM3 as the in + out. I have no out2 block. Obviously the computer is recognizing the FM3. The mac settings say that that the device has no input/output controls, so i can't turn volume up or down, and obvious I'm getting no sound from headphone jack from the FM3. It's like it sees it, lets me choose it, but won't let sound in or out.

Any suggestions would be so welcome. I've read hours of forums today and I'm completely stumped!

I am having the same issue. I wish the USB playback of my MBP to be routed to the level of Output 2 while the playback of my Guitar is controlled by Level 1. Thanks Fred

Back
Top Bottom