[SOLVED] My Guitar sounds incredibly fuzzy, flabby, and frankly awful with modern high gain tones - what can I do to fix the sounds?

Hopefully, there is a special kind of hell for musicians that intentionally
rip-off their fellow musicians.

I know a guy who turned to flipping and sold his soul when he did. He'd rip
off old ladies from the vintage gear they didn't know they had from a deceased
husband or son. I ended up having to tell him he literally turned into a piece of
shit just to get a "deal," or acquire something he would then flip to someone else
at an enormous markup.

Sometimes it is not capitalism. It's just greed combined with a disconcerting lack of character.

This video and the subsequent discussion here has been sorta a revelation for me, and as a result I have restrung 3 of my fave axes (been-thru-it -all 1977 SG beater, Silver Sky, and lovely Nystrum P90 offset) with 8-38s (slinky, but I will experiment), all 9 or 10s before, and I LOVE IT, especially as my ancient hands are increasingly arthritic My new battery-powered string winder also eases the pain…so thanks to all above…the III now is not unlike a very high-end modern component sound system, where the pristine A/D and algorithmic transparency, show bare naked every nuance of input, which can go either way for ya, and this string change does indeed make the synergy of gui tar and III sweeter to my ears as well as my digitsI

This video and the subsequent discussion here has been sorta a revelation for me, and as a result I have restrung 3 of my fave axes (been-thru-it -all 1977 SG beater, Silver Sky, and lovely Nystrum P90 offset) with 8-38s (slinky, but I will experiment), all 9 or 10s before, and I LOVE IT, especially as my ancient hands are increasingly arthritic My new battery-powered string winder also eases the pain…so thanks to all above…the III now is not unlike a very high-end modern component sound system, where the pristine A/D and algorithmic transparency, show bare naked every nuance of input, which can go either way for ya, and this string change does indeed make the synergy of guitar and III sweeter to my ears as well as my digits
I changed to 8s or 8.5s instead of 9s or 10s also, because of wrist/hand issues. Got the benifit of playing with less tension and longer practice sessions. I don't know how it changed my tone but, i can play better since the change.

I'm even more mad now because I just looked up how much the guitar would be worth if I still had it
Unless it's something you stole (got a fantastic deal), and it ended up becoming a really rare & valuable item, the appreciation usually doesn't even keep up with inflation. I don't feel that gear should be used as an investment.

Unless it's something you stole (got a fantastic deal), and it ended up becoming a really rare & valuable item, the appreciation usually doesn't even keep up with inflation. I don't feel that gear should be used as an investment.
Agreed. Gear makes a lousy investment. But we must give the man a break. He just discovered how much he was robbed of.

husband or son. I ended up having to tell him he literally turned into a piece of
shit just to get a "deal," or acquire something he would then flip to someone else
at an enormous markup.

Sometimes it is not capitalism. It's just greed combined with a disconcerting lack of character.
Damn straight! And some of them don't even make sense to me. (The flippers who buy a new item that's still available, & mark it up. So you have no warranty, since it's now technically used.)

Those people that find these great deals on vintage gear left by someone who has passed away, typically justify it with the attitude of, well, it's an arms-length transaction, and it's not up to me to tell you what it's really worth.

I traded a vintage JTM45 a couple decades ago at GC, and didn't know what I had, and what I had left on the table, until years later. They made me an offer, and I took it. My bad. But I'm certainly not justifying what some people do in the name of "making a living," or whatever they call it.

at an enormous markup.

Yep, that is specifically not capitalism. At least, not unless you add some modifier which subverts the noun, like "bassackwards capitalism" or "anti-market capitalism," or maybe just "capitalism for flaming a**holes."

The whole argument for capitalism, by those that make it, is that it's not a whole social or cultural or political or philosophical system (and was never meant to be), but it's merely a set of economic best-practices which only work within the context an otherwise-healthy society and culture and legal system. (Any Gordon-Gecko-wannabee who says "capitalism" is his "whole life-philosophy" is like someone who says a carburetor is his whole vehicle.)

And what makes them "best-practices" is that normally, mutually-agreed exchanges of goods & services make people better-off on both sides of the trade (otherwise, at least one side wouldn't agree to do it). Thus, the more often these mutually-beneficial exchanges happen, the more that "better-off-ness" increases within the economy overall. A simple-but-powerful idea.

But obviously that idea completely fails if the person who's "agreeing" to an exchange is either...
(a.) too ignorant to know whether it makes him better-off or worse-off;
(b.) too deceived-and-defrauded to recognize whether it makes him better-off or worse-off; or,
(c.) too addicted (or otherwise compelled) to care whether it makes him better-off or worse-off.

In cases like those, it will often happen that the "mutually-agreed" exchange makes one side worse-off, which defeats the whole purpose of those best-practices. And this, of course, is why those practices only make sense in the context of a legal system which (for example) prosecutes false advertising...and in a society where most of the participants aren't actively seeking to shaft their customers good-n-hard.

It all works pretty well in a world populated by fairly-decent persons, who treat every trade-interaction as an opportunity to do someone else a good turn, and who think that "an informed customer is my best customer," and such-like.

But guys like the one you describe are "the reason we can't have nice things." They go 'round peeing in everybody's pool, and grinning about it. So, yes, I suspect there is a "special hell" for people like that...somewhere alongside the special hells for "child molesters, and people who talk at the theater."

special-hell.gif

Last edited:
Yep, that is specifically not capitalism. At least, not unless you add some modifier which subverts the noun, like "bassackwards capitalism" or "anti-market capitalism," or maybe just "capitalism for flaming a**holes."

The whole argument for capitalism, by those that make it, is that it's not a whole social or cultural or political or philosophical system (and was never meant to be), but it's merely a set of economic best-practices which only work within the context an otherwise-healthy society and culture and legal system. (Any Gordon-Gecko-wannabee who says "capitalism" is his "whole life-philosophy" is like someone who says a carburetor is his whole vehicle.)

And what makes them "best-practices" is that normally, mutually-agreed exchanges of goods & services make people better-off on both sides of the trade (otherwise, at least one side wouldn't agree to do it). Thus, the more often these mutually-beneficial exchanges happen, the more that "better-off-ness" increases within the economy overall. A simple-but-powerful idea.

But obviously that idea completely fails if the person who's "agreeing" to an exchange is either...
(a.) too ignorant to know whether it makes him better-off or worse-off;
(b.) too deceived-and-defrauded to recognize whether it makes him better-off or worse-off; or,
(c.) too addicted (or otherwise compelled) to care whether it makes him better-off or worse-off.

In cases like those, it will often happen that the "mutually-agreed" exchange makes one side worse-off, which defeats the whole purpose of those best-practices. And this, of course, is why those practices only make sense in the context of a legal system which (for example) prosecutes false advertising...and in a society where most of the participants aren't actively seeking to shaft their customers good-n-hard.

It all works pretty well in a world populated by fairly-decent persons, who treat every trade-interaction as an opportunity to do someone else a good turn, and who think that "an informed customer is my best customer," and such-like.

But guys like the one you describe are "the reason we can't have nice things." They go 'round peeing in everybody's pool, and grinning about it. So, yes, I suspect there is a "special hell" for people like that...somewhere alongside the special hells for "child molesters, and people who talk at the theater."

Dude. You are definitely not a "Dipwad." :)

I wasn't expecting that. Wow. Cheers. :)

I have thought it kind of interesting that "to capitalize" can also
be thought of as "to take advantage of." Capitalizing on a situation
can also mean maximizing one's personal gain regardless of outcome
on others. Sorry, sucker!!

Dude. You are definitely not a "Dipwad." :)

I wasn't expecting that. Wow. Cheers. :)

I have thought it kind of interesting that "to capitalize" can also
be thought of as "to take advantage of." Capitalizing on a situation
can also mean maximizing one's personal gain regardless of outcome
on others. Sorry, sucker!!
Ayn Rand: long-term self interest versus short-term self interest - which makes a huge difference. Ivy league MBAs redirect long-term thinking into “quarter by quarter”stock performance. 🤪

I thank my lucky stars that Fractal is the company focused on long-term benefits and happy customers using the best FAS has to offer.

Back
Top Bottom