[SOLVED] My Guitar sounds incredibly fuzzy, flabby, and frankly awful with modern high gain tones - what can I do to fix the sounds?

I got this unit a couple months ago, and while I've been thrilled with the functionality and ease of use, I have not been thrilled with the results of my high gain sounds. I've been trying to go through The Black Dahlia Murder's catalog and I've needed a really heavy 5150 type tone, so I've been trying to use the Djentlemanly preset as it's a pretty close approximation to what I want. However, it doesn't sound close to other sounds I've heard.

Here's a recording of me playing on the Djentlemanly preset:
Warborn using Djentlemanly

Compared to what it's supposed to sound like:
Djentlemanly example

Here's a recording of me playing on the Recto 1 preset on the red scene:
Virally Yours on Recto 1 Red

Compared to what it's supposed to sound like:
Recto 1 Red example

I'm using a Charvel San Dimas 2 with a Seymour Duncan JB. I'm going directly into the Axe-FX III and recording into a MacBook. Recording quality notwithstanding, I can assure you the tones I recorded sound like this through my headphones (AKG K7xx) and studio monitors (JBL LSR305 MK II). I looked through some basic "setting up your Axe-FX III" tutorials and nothing has fixed it. Is there something simple I'm missing?

New unit or 2nd hand?

Reset the system parameters.

Make sure that Input 1 / Instr in I/O is not below 5%.

Brand new unit - I just reset the system parameters and re-loaded factory presets before recording these. I adjusted the Input 1 to around 20% based on my guitar having a JB.

I would consider that Mariposa to be an unusual sounding guitar, with high output bright sounding pickups, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you "should" sound like that. Also, when Cooper made that video I believe there was a mixup with the factory presets and some factory presets, including Djentlemanly, were changed by Fractal Audio shortly after he made that video. If you look at the preset screenshots in the video, they don't match the factory presets that were available at the time. Plus, that's pre-Cygnus. And there's the fact that Cooper has amazing technique :). So, while it may be possible to achieve that tone, I don't think it's realistic to get it using the Djentlemanly factory preset.

I would consider that Mariposa to be an unusual sounding guitar, with high output bright sounding pickups, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you "should" sound like that. Also, when Cooper made that video I believe there was a mixup with the factory presets and some factory presets, including Djentlemanly, were changed by Fractal Audio shortly after he made that video. If you look at the preset screenshots in the video, they don't match the factory presets that were available at the time. Plus, that's pre-Cygnus. And there's the fact that Cooper has amazing technique :). So, while it may be possible to achieve that tone, I don't think it's realistic to get it using the current Djentlemanly factory preset.
I think that’s potentially fair, but listen to just the Recto 1 Red clip I posted without doing a comparison. It sounds worse than the Spider II I had when I was 13. What’s going on there? JBs have fairly decent midrange but when I palm mute it sounds horrible. I can record clips of me making custom patches and using custom IRs but they all sound like this - either so flubby that you can’t make out any low end notes, or so sizzly that you’d rather not hear the guitar.

I find tightening up the lows by cutting at least below 80hz and sometimes more really helps. Also when the main amp volume is on 10, reducing it helps. You can always add more gain if needed after lowering the main. And are you using the same guitar, amp and cabs, monitors, as Cooper?

When in doubt, try another guitar, just in case. Make sure your guitar is properly setup and sounds good with an amp. I have found some presets sound harsh to me with my system, playing out EV Zx 112P’s being full range, I dial back some highs. Your monitoring system has a huge impact on what your hearing. Also look at levels, input and output in the Axe Fx, make sure you aren’t overloading. Lastly, it may be good to plug into a PA system and turn it up some, headphones and small monitors depending on what they are may limit listening etc. can u record an amp sound u do like? Good cables connecting it all.

Last edited:
I have found that the amp block input EQ has been a very powerful tool to eliminate flab on high gain tones. Try turning up the high pass to somewhere around 250 Hz.

Watch Leon Todd's YouTube videos on dialing in high gain tones. He shows alot of good tips on the subject. Good luck

Sounds like you're getting some comb filtering. Possibly due to signal on the USB going back into the unit and mixing. I would disconnect the MacBook and see how it sounds through headphones/monitors.

ok i deff hear something not right with the recto patch. the djent patch sounded ok though. not like the video you linked but usable.

Thanks for all the replies - I unplugged from the MacBook to see if it would have any effect and it didn't. Comparisons aside, the reason I'm so concerned by this is the fact that the Recto preset sounds like that. Are the presets just not worth my time and I should make my own patch? Is something wrong?

I understand that there are tons of adjustments that can be made - better EQing, messing with cabs, low/high cuts, etc, but the presets so far have been nearly unusable.

I've attached the two presets to see if there's anything wrong with them.

Attachments

• Djentlemanly.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Recto 1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies - I unplugged from the MacBook to see if it would have any effect and it didn't. Comparisons aside, the reason I'm so concerned by this is the fact that the Recto preset sounds like that. Are the presets just not worth my time and I should make my own patch? Is something wrong?

I understand that there are tons of adjustments that can be made - better EQing, messing with cabs, low/high cuts, etc, but the presets so far have been nearly unusable.
Honestly factory presets but more so user presets from axe exchange are really tailored to the setup of the guy making them and usually don't work for me without making alot of adjustments to fit my taste/my rig. I will say the factory presets are ALOT better IMO since they went back thru them for the latest firmware and require alot less adjustment on my end to sound great. That being said I still prefer my main preset I made from scratch and spent alot of time dialing in. Can't recommend Loen Todd and Marco Fanton YouTube videos enough tho. Those guys have saved me countless hours.

Build your own patch. Using presets can be a bit odd because they were made on another system with different guitars. Find a good IR that you like and can see yourself building things around. The Stock ML Sound Lab, Dr Bonkers, and York Audio IRs are a good place to start. Also, check out the EQ tab in the amp block. Pull some frequencies out and see if that sounds better or worse. Repeat until you have a tone you are happy with. I usually start by pulling out the mids that muddy everything up. Come back the next day and see if you still like how it sounds, then you will know you are on the right track. Dialing in tones takes a little while until you get used to your guitar, monitors, and the IR you are using. After a while it will come as 2nd nature.

Back
Top Bottom