[SOLVED] How can i get a more dynamic feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get dynamics dial in your amp how you like it and place envelope filters on input trim and master volume adjust them to only change subtlety check out my patch on the axe change the most dynamic patch ever
Placing an envelope on the MV can also change the tonality of the entire amp. Plus what are ya supposed to do with non-MV Amps. Personally I wouldn’t use this method nor have I ever felt the need to take any extra steps to coax more dynamics out of a properly setup & dialed in amp/patch. Furthermore, I would be remiss if I didn’t question this idea coming from the person who said, “...and probably don’t have that dynamic of a picking technique or just no picking technique,” as a response on this topic, yet is suggesting using envelopes on both Input Trim & MV. Hmm..

Try attaching the amp gain control to input one with an envelope, to where if you play soft it's clean and the harder you hit the higher the gain knob goes. That's dynamics!

Try attaching the amp gain control to input one with an envelope, to where if you play soft it's clean and the harder you hit the higher the gain knob goes. That's dynamics!
Yeah, then attach another one to the Boost Level. Lol.. oh can always throw in a volume/filter/drive block(s) and tie one to that too if you’re really looking for something special.. :D

I must have a defective Axe or soemthing, because I don’t need to do anything special to get dynamics. Just select a model, stock preset even, like say the Plexi 100watt, and darn if it isn’t amazingly dynamic. Pick light, clean and chimey, hit harder, starts to roar. Great “hair” on edge of breakup tones too.

All the dynamics etc is already modeled in.

I must have a defective Axe or soemthing, because I don’t need to do anything special to get dynamics. Just select a model, stock preset even, like say the Plexi 100watt, and darn if it isn’t amazingly dynamic. Pick light, clean and chimey, hit harder, starts to roar. Great “hair” on edge of breakup tones too.

All the dynamics etc is already modeled in.
I'm sure if you send it in, Cliff will fix it ;)

okay, thanks phil, your comments are constructive!

I'll try to clarify more what i seek:
The sound it just not responsive enough. Let's say: When you hook up a decent guitar to a amp everybody knows: a fender bassman. You get a feel and dynamics that is reponsive and reacts to your playing. Kinda makes you not want to stop playing.

Maybe it's me noticing something other players already have gotten used to or compromised with... but i can't believe the flag ship of modellers doesn't have it in it.

You can say, stop playing digital and use your real amp. Ok but that does not explain why a unit as the multiamp achieves this.
So I'm convinced it can be dialed in the AXE FX III and there is something I'm overseeing.

My conclusions so far: (correct me if I'm wrong)
- I think there is something i can optimize with the output setting or input setting.
- Or i have to route a output to my mesa 20:20 amp and to the cabinet with no speaker sims to get a more responsive feel and maximize the cabinet-respons ? But off course i want to get rid of tubes a go fully digital!!!

Furthur info about my setup line:
I use a Tom anderson Drop top SSH guitar, and fender strat custom shop mainly. So not some shitty guitar.
With the III I feel it takes little tweaking now compared to the II. Picking the right IR is key. Adjust the Negative Feedback for more amp in the room feel and increased dynamics. Other than that adjust the B/M/T and Presence to taste. Fairly easy to get a great sound IMO. Try some different amp types too to get one that "feels" right.

Placing an envelope on the MV can also change the tonality of the entire amp. Plus what are ya supposed to do with non-MV Amps. Personally I wouldn’t use this method nor have I ever felt the need to take any extra steps to coax more dynamics out of a properly setup & dialed in amp/patch. Furthermore, I would be remiss if I didn’t question this idea coming from the person who said, “...and probably don’t have that dynamic of a picking technique or just no picking technique,” as a response on this topic, yet is suggesting using envelopes on both Input Trim & MV. Hmm..
Well you have to dial in the envelope filters to be doing verry littleand it is a great improvement but you probably don’t know how to dial stuff in

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I personally have not experienced missing dynamics on the AX8 or the Axe FX III (when I came to play it), but got the feeling that the IR will change the perceived dynamicness of my preset. Must have something with masking...

Anyway, it's just interesting what power language and writing has. And anonymity. Gosh, a forum is not to call people names, you know @Tpj1333

It's something I experience in everyday conversation - a way to win arguments is using diffamation and yelling. At least old Schopenhauer knew it, so I believe that's no news.

Anyway, lots of interesting information here.

I find this “quest for amp in the room” ultimately weird.

Is there another musical instrument where performers seek to hear it totally differently from the audience/record listeners?

Isn’t it actually a good thing that with modelers we can finally monitor ourselves hearing the sound we actually deliver, instead of some ghost unicorn thing that doesn’t even exist as far as the outside world is concerned?

Interesting thread. I personally have not experienced missing dynamics on the AX8 or the Axe FX III (when I came to play it), but got the feeling that the IR will change the perceived dynamicness of my preset. Must have something with masking...

Anyway, it's just interesting what power language and writing has. And anonymity. Gosh, a forum is not to call people names, you know @Tpj1333

It's something I experience in everyday conversation - a way to win arguments is using diffamation and yelling. At least old Schopenhauer knew it, so I believe that's no news.

Anyway, lots of interesting information here.
There was never an argument

Is there another musical instrument where performers seek to hear it totally differently from the audience/record listeners?

To be fair, yes: virtually any monitor mix, whether for IEM or other monitors. But I take your point. Amp in the room may be a disguised way of saying “I want to feel the POWER and a lot more bass and an immersion in the sound, and not worry about whether that affects what the soundman can deliver.” But as has been mentioned before, this box can provide that best of both worlds scenario. It just takes some gear and effort.

Well you have to dial in the envelope filters to be doing verry littleand it is a great improvement but you probably don’t know how to dial stuff in
Hmm, interesting spin you put on that. I’m not the one who needs to add an envelope to my patches or any amp I’ve ever dialed in to get the Dynamics out of it. I don’t need that crutch. If ya know how to find the sweet spot and when the amp is running under or past it’s capabilities then ya don’t need an envelope. Nor a specific guitar such as a Tele as you just suggested.

Contributors are kindly requested to take notice of the forum rules and refrain from personal attacks.

I haven't read the thread nor do I intend to in its entirety, but just as a sort of 'out there' tip: one thing I do occasionally is turn off the noise gate to improve the 'authenticity' of the amp modeling experience. It is very easy with a digital unit to gate a signal too hard and not accept any noise at all where we would on an IRL amp. A gate can actually really affect response in some situations and back in the day I had a more natural tolerance for some noise because I had no other option.

Proper gain staging and stuff in your preset is another non-intuitive one that doesn't involve deep parameters.

you probably don’t know how to dial stuff in
Do you see how you are telling everyone they don’t know what they’re doing? That you are one of the few or only ones on this entire forum or thread that does know? That everyone is wrong but you?

Do you really believe that’s true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom