[SOLVED] How can i get a more dynamic feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leslie1975

Hi all

How can i get a more dynamic feel (like the real stuff feels)?

I'm struggling to get a real feel out of my axe-fx III.
I hate to say that i use a DV Mark multiamp that easily dials in a real feel that i (and everybody that checks it out) like very much. It's like a real tube amp feel. period. (i must say that i don't use the cab sims in that lineup , they only apply to the mixing table - however that feel is also great)

Off-course as a loyal AXE-FX user (i previously owned the ultra, AXE FXII XL+ and now the AXE FX III) i can't believe that the axe-fx can't deliver a similar real 'feel'.

After spending a lot of time tweaking i can't get the result i want. I also bought the fremen presets and other stuff to be sure i have a good programming base. None seems to do the trick. They sound great but don't feel great. I'm sure everybody knows what I'm talking about.

I hope that someone can give me hints to achieve a real good dynamic feel out of the axe. A bit the amp in the room effect. Maybe i should consider leaving the cab-sims out of the equation therwfore. I don't know.

--
FYI : my setup (and possibilities) is the following:
I use 2 yamaha DRX12 active monitors (L+R), also have a Line 6 Powercab+ and have a mesa boogie 20:20 amp with a stereo cabinet (Palmer loaded with wgs speakers, or a stereo bogner 4x10 with special designs or a marshall 4x12 1960B - the kind of cab does not matter i wil lset the eq matching the cab)

Output 2 goes to the mixing tabel (or my DRX speakers at home for programming the sounds), output one to the mesa end amp and cabinet or to the powercab.

---
I'm sure there can be something done and hope any of you players out there can help me solve this riddle.

The only things i found out yet are the dynamic setting per amp , and playng around with the input gate. that improves the attack mosty but also decreases the soundquality. I'm hoping on a more overall solution.

i use a DV Mark multiamp

i don't use the cab sims

A bit the amp in the room effect.
what speakers do you use with your Mark Multiamp when you get the "real stuff feels"?

"Amp in the room" is literally the speaker sound bouncing off the walls in your room in that moment. quiet speakers in front of you can not make it sound like sound is coming from behind you, there's just no physical way that can happen.

Try to use the same chain as with the multiamp, just replace that one with the axe fx.
Sounds like you habe a few too many variables ATM

FWIW: I initially bought the axe 3 thinking that I’d use it as an FX unit with my Mesa Mark IV.
I was so impressed with the “realness”, I haven’t switched on the actual amp in quite a while...

Also: don’t rely on factory presets; make your own. Start simple and expand from there...

what speakers do you use with your Mark Multiamp when you get the "real stuff feels"?

"Amp in the room" is literally the speaker sound bouncing off the walls in your room in that moment. quiet speakers in front of you can not make it sound like sound is coming from behind you, there's just no physical way that can happen.

Hi, it's the resopns in dynamics i lack and that is what i'm searching for. I use the same room, the same speaker. Trying to obtain a basis of likable feel.

Try to use the same chain as with the multiamp, just replace that one with the axe fx.
Sounds like you habe a few too many variables ATM

FWIW: I initially bought the axe 3 thinking that I’d use it as an FX unit with my Mesa Mark IV.
I was so impressed with the “realness”, I haven’t switched on the actual amp in quite a while...

Also: don’t rely on factory presets; make your own. Start simple and expand from there...

thanks for your reply. I already made my own presets and used fremen's. Sound grreat but all lack a bit of real feel. Therfor it must have something tot do with the input and output settings. I just changed the output to +4db and maximized the input to the edged of clippig (that is input 1/instument set oon 100%. That's already a but different.

Very importamt, my forum here is about FEEL not sound, that is ok, just the respons feel i get. Kinda hard to explain. Compare it with the dynamic of a good responsive tube amp. thats what i wanna get approximatly (a fair compromise having in mind)

Lol, umm, I think you are going to find that, “Nobody knows what you’re talking about.” In fact, the Fractal stuff responds so much like the real world counterparts that it models it’s downright mind boggling. Personally I couldn’t wish for anything more and I wouldn’t even consider buying an Amp anymore, nor have I for years.
I’m not going to entertain the, “Amp in the room,” debate, if you’re looking for that info, it’s been discussed to death, resuscitated, kicked & beaten to death repeatedly here, just do a search, grab a coffee & a pack of smokes & start reading.
Ya got parameters you can use to change the feel in the Dynamics Tab (Input Dynamics & various forms of compression) in the Amp Block & Power Supply Tab (Sag), just to name a few..
Maybe try thumbing through the Wiki as to what all the deep parameters do? Just a thought..

Ok, try to describe the dynamic response you are looking for.
(You said “like a real tube amp” but you compare it to a solid state unit.)

Is it too compressed/not compressed enough? Are we talking high gain, mid gain, edge of break up? Clean?

I'm in too.
I have a lot of great amps (Suhr, Friedman, Two rock,...)
All models sounds good but the feel is way more compressed.
I have tried all IR's possible, power amp + real cabs (Seymour Duncan 700, friedman cabs,...) the sound is there but the feel is more compressed and high frequencies are a lot more open with real amps.
if I plug my guitar in my SS100 Friedman the feel is amazing with a lot more life.

I tried the amp+loadbox with OX and Axe FX3 like an IR player and I still prefer my real amp (and the amp doesnt need tweaking to feel great).
I really hope a better dynamic response from the Axe FX.
Speaker compression, ... tends to give a more compressed sound too.

Try ramping up the speaker compliance, see how that feels

Try hotter bias, lower Variac settings, more sag.

Possibly even a transformer mismatch...

All of that will lead to more compression and a spongier feel

Lol, umm, I think you are going to find that, “Nobody knows what you’re talking about.” In fact, the Fractal stuff responds so much like the real world counterparts that it models it’s downright mind boggling. Personally I couldn’t wish for anything more and I wouldn’t even consider buying an Amp anymore, nor have I for years.
I’m not going to entertain the, “Amp in the room,” debate, if you’re looking for that info, it’s been discussed to death, resuscitated, kicked & beaten to death repeatedly here, just do a search, grab a coffee & a pack of smokes & start reading.
Ya got parameters you can use to change the feel in the Dynamics Tab (Input Dynamics & various forms of compression) in the Amp Block & Power Supply Tab (Sag), just to name a few..
Maybe try thumbing through the Wiki as to what all the deep parameters do? Just a thought..

All my amps feel great and I dont need to change any settings inside... no tubes swap
For me, if the model is like the real amp = no need for tweaking.
And in my case, in a AB switch, the real amp is way more dynamic.
I like the Axe FX (it's a really great tool and FX are good ) but I 'm not in the "marketing" opinion saying this is like the real thing.
Few years ago the Ultra and the II was already like the real amp ;)
And firmware updates are still going on.

Maybe some people are satisfied with the feeling, that's great but (and I m not the only one) I still find the real deal more dynamic.

Try ramping up the speaker compliance, see how that feels

Try hotter bias, lower Variac settings, more sag.

Possibly even a transformer mismatch...

All of that will lead to more compression and a spongier feel

All that settings compress the sound... so it will not sound more dynamic with more sag ;)

PS I’m not trying to convince you “it feels like the real deal”; I’m just trying to help you get as much out of it as possible (if I can)

The solution could be as simple as turning down the master volume

This x 9757888688

The master volume has a pretty narrow sweet spot, maybe 15% of the knob travel to sound it's best (more in non master volume amps), if you don't start with the tone and gain at noon first and dial the master in first, starting from zero and stopping where it "feels" right, anything you do from that point forward won't "feel" right either. The "feeling" is most likely dynamics (compression), coming from the power section. You can make up for feeling later, with the output dynamics processing, but it won't be what you're used to hearing from an amp.

Last edited:

OFF COURSE I ALREADY SPENT HOURS SEARCHING THE FORUMS, TWEAKING, EVEN BUYING PRESETS ;-) Does not do the trick ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom