[solved] FM3 won’t connect to computer & FM3-Edit

Had no problem with the FM3 USB for months, then this week it will not connect.
Nothing has changed! I have contacted G66 Support and will wait to see if they can sort it for me.
I have the latest Fractal firmware and software installed and I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
I know thats old but it has worked fine for months.
I have reinstalled both usb drivers and FM3 edit and restarted a million times with no luck.
I have tried other leads as well.
If I get to the bottom of it I will post my findings.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Had no problem with the FM3 USB for months, then this week it will not connect.
Nothing has changed! I have contacted G66 Support and will wait to see if they can sort it for me.
I have the latest Fractal firmware and software installed and I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
I know thats old but it has worked fine for months.
I have reinstalled both usb drivers and FM3 edit and restarted a million times with no luck.
I have tried other leads as well.
If I get to the bottom of it I will post my findings.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
only thing I can think of is outside of your usb port being bad is the cable as well as uninstalling the drivers then reinstalling them (again), the readme file for the download says that there are two files to install, (FM3_USB_Audio_Setup_4.86.0.exe and FM3_USB_Serial_Driver_Setup_1p1.exe) you might try installing each package separately between boots, (just a hunch) do you see the FM3 in device manager? also you might make sure no other audio device (or usb) is connected while troubleshooting, finally Fractal Bot if not run inside of F-Edit will prevent edit from working so be sure FB is not running.

Hi DaveO
Thanks very much for your advice, I'll persevere with it and try what you said.
Hopefully I can get to the bottom of it. G66 have asked me to try another computer so as to rule out mine which I aim to do.
I'll hopefully post a successful outcome.
Many thanks
Tim

Fractal Bot if not run inside of F-Edit will prevent edit from working so be sure FB is not running.
Since Fractal-Bot is now embedded in FM3-Edit and Axe-Edit III, it makes sense to not use the stand-alone version. The embedded version will always be up to date when the editor gets updated, and using it avoids the chance of a USB connection conflict with *-Edit.

I have tried everything! still no joy getting my FM3 to connect to my computer, or anyone elses!
I have tried 3 computers, 3 leads and reinstalled all software and drivers with multiple computer restarts.
It appears that the FM3 usb is dead as it wont even finish installing the driver that requires you to unplug and reconnect the lead to complete the installation.
I give up, looks like it will have to be returned to G66 for possible repair.
How will I be able to live without it! Lol

Just want to give a big thanks to G66.eu for getting my FM3 mended so quickly. After no connectivity from the usb port and trying everything myself to sort it out it had to go for repair.
It ended up having a new main board fitted which is pretty major and I lost all my settings and IRs. Luckily I had a recent back up of everything so make sure you do regular back ups as you just don't know if it will happen to you in some way or other.
G66 are using a firm in Scotland for repairs so it didn't have to be sent back to them which resulted in a 10 day turn around.
Very happy to have it back and it's working great again.
So if you have a problem that you can't sort out after trying everything you can, don't doubt yourself as I did as there might be a fault with the unit.
All sorted now so happy days ahead.

Good to know I’m not the only one. Not a hitch ever with FM3 and Windows 10, but lately it’s been off and on in terms of being connected…. All since 4.01. I reinstalled Fm3 Edit but that didn’t do anything. I’ll maybe roll back to 4.0 if I can get it reconnected.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Just want to give a big thanks to G66.eu for getting my FM3 mended so quickly. After no connectivity from the usb port and trying everything myself to sort it out it had to go for repair.
It ended up having a new main board fitted which is pretty major and I lost all my settings and IRs. Luckily I had a recent back up of everything so make sure you do regular back ups as you just don't know if it will happen to you in some way or other.
G66 are using a firm in Scotland for repairs so it didn't have to be sent back to them which resulted in a 10 day turn around.
So if you have a problem that you can't sort out after trying everything you can, don't doubt yourself as I did as there might be a fault with the unit.
Glad its sorted dude

After a successful repair to my USB port by G66.eu it has failed again, after further discussions with them they are sending me a new unit.
This again although annoying is great service from them.
The main thing that came to light was an email from one of their technicians regarding power source damage to the USB port, here is the email -

Hi Tim,

sorry for all the hassle.
Two units with an USB issue.
🙁

Normally these units work flawless.

Over the time we learned that - in certain circumstances (especially live situations) the USB chip can be killed
when FM3 and the computer don't use the same power sockets. Different power sockets (herby circuits) often offer different electric potential.

Two unequal potential will compensate as soon as they can. Even if they "use" a plugged USB cable. This is dangerous.

For the same reason one must not use a FM3 connected to a power stabilizer (like Furmann ) with a computer that isn't part of that circuit.
That also can kill the USB chip or and the Computer. It most likely will.

So always be sure that your computer and FM share the same circuit.

Best regards

Knut

I thought this was worth sharing as I was very surprised by these findings.
Apparently don't use power sockets or extensions with their own USB ports either!
I am not sure this is what caused my faults but it is something to think about in the future.
Not sure if it applies in the US as much as the power is different but it might do.
Hope this is helpful info and might save you any problems.

Cheers
Tim

Mine is going in for service as soon as the local guy says go. At least in my case, if I move the USB cable around for a bit, it will connect… but that’s not a great solution… not to mention sometimes the screen comes on just white and hangs if I turn it on with the USB plugged in.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Mine is going in for service as soon as the local guy says go. At least in my case, if I move the USB cable around for a bit, it will connect… but that’s not a great solution… not to mention sometimes the screen comes on just white and hangs if I turn it on with the USB plugged in.

Sean Meredith-Jones
Hi Sean
I hope they sort it out for you when it goes in for service.

My unit behaves strangely at times and I have to power it on with the USB cable unplugged. After it completely reboots, then I plug USB in and it works.
Thank you. This solved my issue. I had just updated to FW 4.01, and updated Fractal-Bot and FM3-Edit as well. After updating the Firmware, I was unable to get FM3 to display under Input / Output in Fractal-Bot, and FM3-Edit was unable to connect to the FM3.

After simply disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable, rebooting my Mac, finally your suggestion of booting up the FM3 with the USB cable disconnected, reconnecting after full boot, I was able to connect via Fractal-Bot and FM3-Edit!

Last edited:
FYI, if you have to replace a USB board on your dime it’s not cheap. W/parts and labor, it’s like “should I just buy a new one?”

I was bored out out of my gord back in May as we were still locked down. It was an impulse buy to occupy my mind from just about going insane as someone was selling it used semi locally and the warranty was up. I was up for a drive regardless. Live and learn I guess.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Last edited:
FYI, if you have to replace a USB board on your dime it’s not cheap. W/parts and labor, it’s like “should I just buy a new one?”

I was bored out out of my gord back in May as we were still locked down. It was an impulse buy to occupy my mind from just about going insane as someone was selling it used semi locally and the warranty was up. I was up for a drive regardless. Live and learn I guess.

Sean Meredith-Jones
Sorry to hear that Sean, makes me wish I had paid extra for the 3 year warranty.

Thank you. This solved my issue. I had just updated to FW 4.01, and updated Fractal-Bot and FM3-Edit as well. After updating the Firmware, I was unable to get FM3 to display under Input / Output in Fractal-Bot, and FM3-Edit was unable to connect to the FM3.

After simply disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable, rebooting my Mac, finally your suggestion of booting up the FM3 with the USB cable disconnected, reconnecting after full boot, I was able to connect via Fractal-Bot and FM3-Edit!

The FM3 manual on p. 23 says:
Important: If you are using a USB-C to USB adapter on a newer Apple computer, plug the USB-C adapter into a the port on your Mac first, allow it several seconds to “wake up” and then connect a USB cable and FM3 into the adapter.

The Wiki says:
Directly connecting the USB-B port on a device to a computer with an onboard USB type C port, like a modern MacBook, with a single cable, can cause issues. The connection may drop, especially after the computer awakes from sleep mode, and may require a reboot to work again. It helps to power up the computer first, then the device(s). In many cases it helps to add a multiport adapter to the USB-C port, to make things work.

Exactly what happened to me. It went to the same repairer and he fitted a new main board. Excellent service from G66.

Back
Top Bottom