[solved] FM3 Wah setup help needed

JFunk1

Hi, new to the forum, first pose. I've read more than 10 posts about issues setting up a wah expression pedal on the site trying to find my issue and can't. Just got my FM-3, love it, stoked. I'm trying to setup my wah using a Yamaha FC-7 which has the TRS plug. I'm trying to do it on the FM3 itself, I haven't used the FM3 Edit software yet. I've got it to pick up the pedal and it shows movement in the modifier section, however, the sweep is very small. I looked again at the calibration and with my pedal all the way back the "range of motion" in calibration puts it as probably around 20% on the graph. However, if the wah all the way back is at a 45 degree angle, just moving my pedal to a 35% degree angle puts the calibration all the way to 90-95% on the calibration and the rest of the sweep has no effect. In other words, a very small portion of the full sweep of the pedal is counting as the entire sweep. If I go into the wah control modifier it's the same result. All the way back (45 degrees) the wah is off and just pushing down a little bit (to roughly 35%) says the full sweep is done. In the modify section do I need to change certain numbers for start (0), mid (50), end (100), slope (50), or scale (1.000)? Off value is at 5%. I imagine there's just some numbers I need to tweak to change the allowed sweep range, but have no idea which. Sorry for the long explanation. Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help! It's greatly appreciated!

IIRC the Yamaha pedal has a non-standard connection or pot.

My FC 7s do not work with the pedal jacks on the back of the fm3. I have to route them through my midi board in order to use them

Are you certain about that?

Looking up the device here it clearly shows a TS connector, not a TRS:
I see that your version has the TS connector, but I can verify mine is TRS, maybe it's an updated version? I've had it for probably 2-3 years though. I'll try to post the pic with this, but it kept rejecting my message saying "it was spam like." Not sure why. I can verify my FC7 is TRS though.

Attachments

• IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Are you certain about that?

Looking up the device here it clearly shows a TS connector, not a
I'm thinking maybe the inside jack connecting to the pedal itself might not be TRS though being as I cannot see the actually jack head. Maybe just the outside head is TRS, perhaps that's the reason..... Thanks for your input.

Depends on which ad you look at. From Sweetwater:

View attachment 77316

I think the FC7 uses reverse polarity. Swapping the tip and ring connections should get you up and running.
Hmmm... Interesting. The link I posted is Yamaha's product page. Go figure - it had only a single picture, too ;)

Pretty bad when the retailer does a better job.

Depends on which ad you look at. From Sweetwater:

View attachment 77316

I think the FC7 uses reverse polarity. Swapping the tip and ring connections should get you up and running.
I'm don't know how to do electronic/electrician type stuff lol, so I just bought a TRS to TRS cable that I'll try with my Hotone Soul Press expression/wah/volume pedal.... If that doesn't work I'll have to research your method or buy a new expression pedal that is verified to work with the FM3 lol. No worries. Thank you for the help!

Thanks for everyone's help. The Yamaha FC-7 must have issues. Luckily, using a cable with TRS on both ends plugged into my Hotone mini Soul Food expression pedal worked. All is good now. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom