[SOLVED] Cab-Lab "Live Mode" not working with Axe-Fx III

Oh, and if it helps trouble shoot any on your end additionally, here's what my Cab-Lab 3 Settings -> Audio Settings... look like

View attachment 51114

And the patch I'm using before activating Live Mode... oh, and my USB Input Level is set to -8.00 dB for whatever that's worth.

using your patch and usb settings, same result -- not sure what's wrong. I even disconnected every device, reflashed the 2.03 firmware, and reset the globals

okay, dumb mistake -- somehow I didn't give privacy permissions to access audio inputs which is generically labeled as mic access

AxeII doesn't seem to work with Live Mode either.

But I might be doing something wrong.
I can't even seem to get any audio into Logic now via USB anymore either.
S/Pdif I/O via TotalMix/RME Babyface seems to work so I can still play my AxeII via my monitors.
But with the RME set as the Input device in Logic I can't get any audio into Logic via the S/Pdif feed either.
So, no USB audio or S/Pdif audio available in Logic.
I assume that if I plugged in the XLRs into the RME that everything would work as expected, but haven't tried that yet.

I have to admit that I don't often even hook my Axe up to Logic very often.
I use it mostly for practicing and occasional live gigs.
So every time I do hook it up to Logic I have to relearn how to do a bunch of stuff.
But I don't recall ever having this much trouble.
Something seems off.

OK.
I've got it all working now.
This business about allowing certain apps access to Mac's "Built-In Microphone" in Security & Privacy Preferences seems to be involved.
This appears to be some new fangled "feature" from Apple in the new OS (Mojave).
I've never had to allow these apps (Logic, etc.) or audio devices access to the mic before.

Logic even has an audio Prefs item for "Allow Access" for the selected audio I/O devices now that wasn't there before.
I guess it's only visible when the audio device in use does not have permission to access the mic.
It takes you to MACOS Security and Privacy Prefs.

Oddly, the only app that I can't seem to allow mic access for is CL3.
But everything still seems to be working with Live Mode now.

I also had to restart my iMac and my Axe to get things working.

Oh, and if it helps trouble shoot any on your end additionally, here's what my Cab-Lab 3 Settings -> Audio Settings... look like

View attachment 51114

And the patch I'm using before activating Live Mode... oh, and my USB Input Level is set to -8.00 dB for whatever that's worth.

Do you have no issues when setting the Axe-FX Buffer to 64 samples (1.3 ms)?

I cannot even set it to 126 samples (2.7 ms). I have to leave it at the default of 256 (5.3 ms) and there is audible latency.

I don't understand it. Doesn't the latency depend only on the Axe-FX? In that case, why I cannot set it lower than 256?

Or perhaps it relays on the computer processor? I am using an Intel i7 6700HQ 2.6 GHz (ASUS GL552VW) with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

BTW: this issue is solved, so I've changed the title from BUG to SOLVED. Now I will open another bug thread for the issue of having to reduce the USB-1/2 volume around -8.5 dB to equalize the levels.

Last edited:
Do you have no issues when setting the Axe-FX Buffer to 64 samples (1.3 ms)?
Yeah, no problems here today with 64 samples... might even try to lower it another stop next time and see how that goes. I've generally been running my DAW and Native Instruments software at 128 samples, Cab-Lab 3 was the first time I tried going as low as 64 samples, and was pleasantly surprised to find that I still wasn't hearing any audio stream artifacts.

I think internally my III's USB Buffer Size is set to 128 samples under the I/O Setup section as well (not sure how the two settings interact really).

That's running on an Intel i7 4960 HQ 2.6 GHz, in a 2014ish era MacBook Pro, so should be pretty comparable CPU performance I'd think... latest update of macOS Mojave... might be down to differences in USB drivers between the two OSen?

On the II, I definitely couldn't seem to get away with anything below 256 samples w/o it artifacting, some days I'd even have to go as high as 512.

I am going to invoke @Admin M@ to ask if he can add some light on the issue of the Axe-FX III latency with Cab-Lab Live Mode not working below 256 in one of two computers with similar processor (different OS)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom