*SOLVED* Beeping Noise

UPDATE
Alright everyone, the beeping is solved. For those who said they also had this issue with the Mastermind GT, you have to download the MMGT editor, go to devices and turn off "poll state".

Yeah, that's what Fractal Audio already wrote in post #9......

And as stated above, you'll lose important functionality this way.

Yeah, that's what Fractal Audio already wrote in post #9......

And as stated above, you'll lose important functionality this way.
I'm pretty dense when it comes to all this stuff. So until RJM told me specifically "go into devices and turn poll state OFF", my brain didn't process the information.

My preset, scene and block switching all still work. The issue now is that if I switch anything via the Axe Edit, it doesn't translate to the board. The tuner on the board also doesn't work now. I refuse to believe that for the switching to work properly, that I have to deal with that god awful beep. But it seems unsolvable at this point.

It looks like I will have to turn poll state on when I'm working via the Axe Edit and then turn it back off when I'm done I guess.

You now know the source of the noise. Now you just need to figure out how it's getting into your audio signal.

Do you have any audio cables running close to the RJM? Are your MIDI cables running close to any audio cables or pedals? Separate anything MIDI from anything audio as much as you physically can. If your MIDI cables are shielded, then take a look at the shielding on your audio cables. If you have effects pedals near the RJM, try moving those around. Go through your entire signal chain one component at a time and try to determine where the noise is getting in. You'll likely find some device or cable at which the noise is missing or quiet before but audible or loud after. Sometimes all it takes is physically moving things around a bit to get rid of the interference. If you've got cables or pedals on one side of the RJM, try them on the other side.

You can use the Axe FX to help too. Is the noise louder with high gain patches. If so, then it is likely getting in somewhere before the amp and/or drive blocks. If you are using an FX loop setup, mute those blocks and see if the noise stops. IF so, you know the noise is getting in somewhere in the loop. Does the noise get louder if you turn the output knob up on the Axe FX. IF so, the noise is being amplified by the Axe and is getting into it somewhere. If not, then it might be getting into the cables between the Axe FX and your monitors or power amp. Divide and conquer.

You now know the source of the noise. Now you just need to figure out how it's getting into your audio signal.

Do you have any audio cables running close to the RJM? Are your MIDI cables running close to any audio cables or pedals? Separate anything MIDI from anything audio as much as you physically can. If your MIDI cables are shielded, then take a look at the shielding on your audio cables. If you have effects pedals near the RJM, try moving those around. Go through your entire signal chain one component at a time and try to determine where the noise is getting in. You'll likely find some device or cable at which the noise is missing or quiet before but audible or loud after. Sometimes all it takes is physically moving things around a bit to get rid of the interference. If you've got cables or pedals on one side of the RJM, try them on the other side.

You can use the Axe FX to help too. Is the noise louder with high gain patches. If so, then it is likely getting in somewhere before the amp and/or drive blocks. If you are using an FX loop setup, mute those blocks and see if the noise stops. IF so, you know the noise is getting in somewhere in the loop. Does the noise get louder if you turn the output knob up on the Axe FX. IF so, the noise is being amplified by the Axe and is getting into it somewhere. If not, then it might be getting into the cables between the Axe FX and your monitors or power amp. Divide and conquer.
For what it's worth, I connect my RJM to my Axe via a phantom power box, using a single shielded midi cable running bidirectional midi. I run this cable next to my guitar cable (and other audio cables) in a 10 m long snake. I have no unnormal issues at all.

I have also tried cheap midi cables, and those worked just as good. So I don't know why some people are having so bad luck when it comes to stuff like this.

I dont have this problem but then im using a homemade 6pin xlr with a psu (connected in the axe end) also my cable is really thick and very well shielded..

I dont have this problem but then im using a homemade 6pin xlr with a psu (connected in the axe end) also my cable is really thick and very well shielded..
Turn the volume up on your guitar, place the pickups close to the RJM. Do you hear anything?

My preset, scene and block switching all still work. The issue now is that if I switch anything via the Axe Edit, it doesn't translate to the board. The tuner on the board also doesn't work now.

This checks out. Because the "polling" is the floorboard "polling" or "asking" the fractal what scene it's currently on. If your board sends the scene change then it knows it changed. But if something else changes it the board won't knw unless it asks.

I refuse to believe that for the switching to work properly, that I have to deal with that god awful beep. But it seems unsolvable at this point.

It is solvable. Get a properly shielded Midi cable and/or run that Midi cable far away from your audio cables.

If I had to guess the problem is probably lack of shielding or a ground loop somewhere close to the RJM or MIDI cables. Perhaps an instrument cable has been accidentally swapped with a speaker cable somewhere. The lack of shielding would let all kinds of noise in.

UPDATE

Alright everyone, the beeping is solved. For those who said they also had this issue with the Mastermind GT, you have to download the MMGT editor, go to devices and turn off "poll state".

I had reached out to RJM and Jim was exceedingly helpful and was helping me troubleshoot via email into the evening hours. Turned poll state off and BOOM, a year's worth of headaches was gone.

Thanks for everyone's help throughout this thread.
Ron and his wife are definitely aces, no doubt about it.

Last edited:
You can also get a FC12 and an FM3 and still have $200 left over for the cost of a Mastermind GT22, so it's not exactly an even comparison.

That's like telling someone with a Corvette with squeaky brakes to replace it with a Cruz hatchback. The FC-6/12 isn't a universal MIDI controller, only works with newer FAS gear, doesn't have Set List or Song mode or a Channel menu and weighs a ton.

I know… I almost feel sorry for your Corvette drivers.

I think you can get either Italian Girodisc or Brembo upgrades and run some Pagid pads, but that’s still gonna be very squeaky.

But for some of us, squeaking brakes is a tell/badge of honor amongst those who know. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom