(Solved) Axe Fx bricked by Q5.01 bug

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
I open this thread just to report the problem I (and @acidfrost) had, probably caused by the bug in that revision
Hi Cliff, installed the update and noticed the same bug, so I tried to change the default modeling version to see if it was related but as soon as I changed that setting the display and controls got stucked, I couldn't even change preset thru axe-edit. Audio was still working though.
I turned off the unit and when turning it on again It doesn't boot anymore, tried power-cycling several times with no luck :(
Do I need to contact g66 support to have a new eeprom?
Here's what it looks likeView attachment 35840
Do you guys know if g66 provides the recovery eeprom for MK 1 and 2? Or do I have to contact Fractal support for this?
And does someone who already had this issue know how long they usually take to ship it?
Thanks

Last edited:
If this was any other big company you would have been weeks before you heard anything back and then you would have had to
ship your box back to them and maybe you would get it back 3 months later. I am new to Fractal this year but I am amazed at
the great and immediate service.

If this was any other big company you would have been weeks before you heard anything back and then you would have had to
ship your box back to them and maybe you would get it back 3 months later. I am new to Fractal this year but I am amazed at
the great and immediate service.
And they would have charged you an arm a leg and your first born.

Does this 'battery pull' trick mean you don't need the backup eeprom?
Yes.. Anyway I suppose that worked just because the firmware wasn't corrupted but only the global settings, removing the battery basically does a "factory reset" erasing all presets and system settings.

This gets me thinking - How many years should we rely on these batteries before replacing them as part of a studio maintenance ritual?
Thanks
Pauly

This gets me thinking - How many years should we rely on these batteries before replacing them as part of a studio maintenance ritual?
Thanks
Pauly
I'd say that if you periodically backup your presets and system settings and keep a spare battery around you'll be covered ;)

Thanks
Pauly

If it makes you feel any more secure my Digitech GSP5 battery was still functional when I fired the unit up on a lark earlier this year. :cool: I got around 1988, I think. Can't remember if I have ever replaced it, although I would have to think I'd have to have done it at least once (28 year battery? Call the Guinness Book of World Records!). Needless to say though I am certain said battery is older than either my II or my Ultra (maybe more than both combined).

Many devices will still work with a dead CMOS battery. They simply lose their saved system settings whenever turned off. Between 5 to 10 years is not uncommon for your average CR2032 CMOS battery. They have a low self discharge rate of around 1% per year, plus any current draw from the system board, which is usually very low. System settings in the Axe II can be backed up to flash memory and via Fractal Bot, so even if the battery does die, you won't lose anything than can't be recovered. Flash memory is non-volatile and is supposed to be able to hold its data for up to 10 years or more without needing to be refreshed or powered in any way, but time will tell how accurate that is.

So it's a 2032 - cool I have a bundle of them in stock. Next time I add or remove something from that rack, I'll backup, then stick a new battery in the Axe FX.

Thanks
Pauly

If it makes you feel any more secure my Digitech GSP5 battery was still functional when I fired the unit up on a lark earlier this year. :cool: I got around 1988, I think. Can't remember if I have ever replaced it, although I would have to think I'd have to have done it at least once (28 year battery? Call the Guinness Book of World Records!). Needless to say though I am certain said battery is older than either my II or my Ultra (maybe more than both combined).

Oh, I have a 1988 machine too: Nintendo Game&Watch multi screen...the batteries are eternal, you will like the name of the game:

s-l1600.jpg

Nintendo-Game-Watch-1988-Gold-Cliff-Multi.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom