[SOLVED] Arduino sysex problem

Thank you very much for sharing it!

I haven't updated the code for my Arduino Midi Controller for a while (the link is at my signature) but looking at your cool ideas makes me to want to review it
Ha, yes I remember seeing your binder project, such a cool idea!

At least for debugging, I would consider building this sort of thing using an async state machine pattern. You know at certain times you are expecting to query for multiple things. So you issue each request one at a time and wait for a response and then reenter the state machine and resume where you left off. The good thing about this is you can change it to do as many concurrent commands as you want later on by simply looping over the state machine up to your pending request limit (of course, no limit is maxint).

With MIDI, you’re usually better off not being super aggressive about doing too much at once. That’s been true since the dawn of MIDI.
thanks Tim, that's essentially what I had to do to fix it: send as many sysex commands, as you want, but then block and read them in one by one, updating state as you go. Next loop, there is fresh data to display.

Thanks! Although I already think it is too small!!! I want a 3.5" instead of 1.8"

For the floor version a bigger display would be cool. But, how about this for a product idea...

Take the existing screen size (or smaller) and package all of this up into a 'Snark Tuner' like clip on. Then having something like the MD-BT01 plugged into the Axe-Fx, you could have it also talk to the Axe-Fx via midi over bluetooth and see all of the info by glancing over at your headstock.

Or, this module could bluetooth to the floorboard and just copy what the floorboard screen is doing. Otherwise you need to buy two MIDI Merger boxes and split the in's/out's of the Axe-Fx midi to allow both the MD-BT01 and wired MIDI connections.

On a side note, I currently have my FCB1010 connected to my Axe-Fx over CAT5 with a custom breakout box. The breakout box and my MD-BT01 connect to the Axe-Fx via two MIDI Merger boxes. I can then have both the FCB1010 and my iOS devices (TouchOSC / FracPad) control the Axe-Fx all at the same time. Works great.

Sounds great! I was chatting to my brother-in-law about this, he mentioned how cool it would be to run the floorboard over bluetooth... I shot him down, said it was impractical.... now a headstock version, that might be cool. I happen to have bought a bluetooth module when I got my teensy... hmmmmm :)

The MD-BT01 works well. For myself, I would say it's responsive enough to use Fracpad to change scenes/presets during a gig if my FCB1010 ever crapped out (not sure about tap tempo though). Usually I'm 10-15 or more away from my Axe-Fx when playing. I've also used Fracpad in combination with my FCB1010 to provide a display for the Axe-Fx. When I change scenes via my FCB1010, Fracpad updates it's display almost instantly. I thought about getting a small phone mount for my headstock just for the purpose. But with an iPhone Plus, it's a little too large and would probably look dumb. Thus, the thought of a smaller screen showing the basic info that you clip on. I did order a FC-12 so probably will not spend as much time on this stuff now. My problem is, I start finding it more interesting to play with electronics and coding than playing guitar :)

Back
Top Bottom