SOLVED: Any issues with Axe FX III (2.03) with a MMGT22 (4.2.3) ?

Daveis

Inspired
I updated my GT22 to 4.2.3 tonight. I did a factory reset of the GT22 and tried to "Get Preset Names". It just freezes until I cancel. Yet, I am able to select presets and scenes just fine. Tap Tempo Button does change the tempo on the Axe, but it no longer blinks. It's like communication from GT to Axe is working, but return messages aren't. Anyone see this? I am using crappy monoprice 5-pin midi cables. Just ordered some btpa replacements just in case that's the problem.

Also, is it possible to permanently harm the midi port on either the GT22 or Axe3 by briefly trying to plug a 5-pin cable from the Axe3 5-pin midi IN to the GT22 7-pin midi out port?

Last edited:
@Daveis that's definitely not supposed to be there. Looks like your MIDI cable failed.

Yup, that outer ring is just friction secured on a monoprice cable. I inserted the cable maybe a total of 3 times before that happened. I used a pliers to pull that metal ring out of the GT22 and then tried another monoprice cable I had laying around. I've reported the issue to Ron at RJM just in case it's a software problem. I hadn't used the GT22 for a number of weeks until tonight when I got around to updating firmware.

Edit: I tested both midi cables with a Behringer CT100 cable tester's "intermittent" feature and both cables checked out. Then later on tonight I thought what would happen if I just swapped the cables. One is 15 foot long and the other is 10 foot long. Amazingly it now works. I am able to import all presets into the GT22. So if this is a cable quality issue then one 15 foot cable is bad. The other 15 foot cable is marginal. And only the 10 foot cable I was originally using is good.

Last edited:
I remember reading about a guy that had a sign on his office wall that read something like, "it's Always A Cable" and about how many times he was right. I was working a Taj Mahal gig and the first note he hit was silent! I grabbed another cable, and ran onstage to the snake and changed out the cable ! Bingo ! Even got an applause!! I honestly don't know what I would have done next since the Promoter had a very limited amount of gear and the only redundancy were extra cables, tossed in a box and all untested! I few months later he gave he his cable tester and said it was broke that I could have it for parts or fix it! IT HAD A DEAD BATTERY !! No wonder his cables sucked!!! Really these testers make testing fast and are handy but you can do the same with a DMM. I just got my FX3MK2 Wednesday and am still reading the manuals and trying to decide how to connected which choice to power the GT-22, Effects Gizmo and the FX3. How to route the cables,,,,which cables and just as important how to route it all. I may go for the Besttronics rig from the FX-GT22???

Back
Top Bottom