[Solved] All 3 Footswitches Read "59 Bassguy" After FW Update

Scented Meat

Power User
Turning the Value knob changes presets as expected, and FM-3 Edit shows full preset list as expected, but with the Preset Layout active all 3 footswitch windows show 59 Bassguy, no matter what preset I'm on, and regardless of whether I bank up (by holding FS3) or down (by holding FS1). I tried re-installing the FW. Same result. Incidentally, when I switch to the Scenes Layout, the Scenes appear appropriately in the selected preset, so it seems to be just a Preset Layout issue.

IMG-1245.jpg

check your Bank Size. sounds like it's set to 1.

tap Home, Knob E for Setup, FC Controllers (tap Enter), Page Right to Config, and check Bank Size. it should probably be set to 3.

check your Bank Size. sounds like it's set to 1.

tap Home, Knob E for Setup, FC Controllers (tap Enter), Page Right to Config, and check Bank Size. it should probably be set to 3.
hmm actually it seems something else is happening. let me figure it out.

It is set to 3. Thanks for investigating. I should mention that last night (my first with the unit), before the FW update, it behaved as expected in Preset Layout.

ok.

Default Bank Size is 3.

Default switch setup for Layout 1 is Preset > Select in Bank > then the appropriate number per switch - Preset 1 for Switch 1, 2 for 2, etc.

it seems that if you change the Bank Size to less than 3, this also changes the Footswitch setup for any switch that is set to Preset > Select in Bank.

starting with Default Layouts, change the Bank size from 3 to 1. now look at the Preset switches in Layout 1 and they all now say

Preset > Select in Bank > Preset 1

using Switch 2 as an example

Before changing Bank Size (it is set to 3):

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 12.11.44 PM.png
this is as expected.

without touching any Footswitch setup, changing the Bank size to 1:

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 12.11.56 PM.png
this automatically changed to "Preset 1" in Bank.

i understand why this may be happening: if you tell a switch to look for Preset 2 in the Bank, but the Bank is only 1, there is no Preset 2 for it to reference.

it seems that adjusting Bank Size lower than what any switches may be setup for, those switches will be forced to change due to the logic i just described. i would assume this happens with FCs and Axe-Fx III as well.

@BryantP any ideas?

the fix for this would be to set Bank Size to 3. then either reload Default Layouts if you use those as is, or to manually adjust each Preset Footswitch for the correct Preset number in Bank as shown above.

It is set to 3.
can you check your Switch assignments to see if they all say "Preset 1" as i show in the above post?

when i loaded 1.02, my switches did not all change to show Preset 1 of the bank.

i'm flashing back down to 1.01 and then up to 1.02 as i've been through other iterations along the way. hopefully this isn't something affecting every update. will confirm in a bit.

Okay I went back through the few Setup changes I made just before I updated the FW, one of which was to set PC Mapping to "ON". When I turn it "OFF", this problem disappears, and Preset Layout behavior normalizes. I don't know if that's to be expected. That fixes one problem, but creates another, in that I was planning to keep PC Mapping on (as I do with the Axe-FX III) for external MIDI control of program changes using my laptop.

Again, thanks for looking into this, Chris!

i can confirm that in 1.01, changing Bank Size from 3 to 1 makes any "Preset in Bank" switches change to "Preset 1" which logically makes sense.

i'm now updating from 1.01 default settings to 1.02 and i'll see if it's somehow forcing this change or something.

Okay I went back through the few Setup changes I made just before I updated the FW, one of which was to set PC Mapping to "ON". When I turn it "OFF", this problem disappears, and Preset Layout behavior normalizes. I don't know if that's to be expected. That fixes one problem, but creates another, in that I was planning to keep PC Mapping on (as I do with the Axe-FX III) for external MIDI control of program changes using my laptop.

If you're going to have PC mapping on, then you need to map presets. The default is 0. I'll give you three guesses which preset that is :)

ok well yes, if you turn Preset Mapping on, by default all PC#s are sending Preset 1. that explains why all switches show "preset 1" because that's all that's mapped at first.

so yeah, that's normal behavior.

i guess i've discovered another situation, which hasn't been a problem that i've seen since the FCs launched. so perhaps it's a non-issue.

oh well 45 minutes of thinking and firmware flashes to learn... something.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest checking. Glad you found it!

ok confirmed that updating from 1.01 to 1.02 does not cause this issue.

definitely isolated to the Preset Mapping being turned On with default settings of Preset 1 only selected.

glad this is sorted! thumbs up

@Scented Meat can you update this thread and your other to say Solved? there should be a "thread settings" button near the top right of each thread for you. thanks.

so something like [Solved] All 3 Footswitches Read "59 Bassguy" After FW Update

Back
Top Bottom