Solved a weird USB / sound issue (USB multi charger)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
For some time I've had some kind of "clicking sounds" coming through my studio monitors and headphones. Couldn't find the source.

I finally tracked and traced it down: it's directly caused by a USB multi charger.
This device provides 4 USB-A ports plus a USB-C port with enough power for a laptop to run on.

The remarkable thing is: this hub isn't connected to my audio gear at all !
In fact, it's meters away and connected to a different wall outlet.
Still, just plugging this hub into the outlet starts the noise.
And the number of connected USB devices determine the rate of the clicks.

I guess this must be EMI or something.

I normally don't "shame"companies, but I reported the issue and they didn't get back to me, so here it is:

It's a Xtorm USB Power Hub Cube Pro, aka: Xtorm Worx Desktop Multi Charger 60W.

Last edited:
Probably. But wouldn't matter if it's EMI (I think).

For some time I've had some kind of "clicking sounds" coming through my studio monitors and headphones. Couldn't find the source.

I finally tracked and traced it down: it's directly caused by a USB multi charger.
This device provides 4 USB-A ports plus a USB-C port with enough power for a laptop to run on.

The remarkable thing is: this hub isn't connected to my audio gear at all !
In fact, it's meters away and connected to a different wall outlet.
Still, just plugging this hub into the outlet starts the noise.
And the number of connected USB devices determine the rate of the clicks.

I guess this must be EMI or something.

I normally don't "shame"companies, but I reported the issue and they didn't get back to me, so here it is:

It's a Xtorm USB Power Hub Cube Pro, aka: Xtorm Worx Desktop Multi Charger 60W.
Now you’ve got me about ready to tear my entire rig (and home audio system) apart. I’ve had an EMI problem since moving into this place a few years ago. I’ve learned to block it out, as I don’t do much recording, but it’s absolutely driven me nuts.

I was leaving more towards a ground issue given that any time 220 device kicks on, it’s Hum City.

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom