Solutions for using Axe-Fx as an in the room amp?

I saw a bunch of pictures in the rig thread of people with what looked like floor monitors, I assume this is to use the axe fx as a regular amp in the room with them?

obvious concern bein with the cab and mic emulation and such being neutral enough. I assume any old PA type solution would work?
Any old PA type solution will work. A GOOD PA-type solution will work well and sound good.

Personally I use a couple of Yamaha DXR12s. They do OK, but they have some low-mid accuracy issues that I find a bit annoying. I am considering moving up to something like the JBL VTX. It's a lot more money, but you get what you pay for.

Any old PA type solution will work. A GOOD PA-type solution will work well and sound good.

Personally I use a couple of Yamaha DXR12s. They do OK, but they have some low-mid accuracy issues that I find a bit annoying. I am considering moving up to something like the JBL VTX. It's a lot more money, but you get what you pay for.

The "small" JBL VXT series model weighs 88 pounds. I'll bet that they sound good, but yikes that is as heavy as most 4x12 cabs.

Reactions: ESW
The "small" JBL VXT series model weighs 88 pounds. I'll bet that they sound good, but yikes that is as heavy as most 4x12 cabs.
True - but the DXR12 is already over 40 lbs. At least with one good monitor I don't have to carry a vocal monitor and a guitar cab. I'm looking around to see what else there is at that level of sound quality - maybe there's a smaller, lighter option, but I sort of doubt it. It appears that the higher mass is critical to getting accuracy in the low end.

True - but the DXR12 is already over 40 lbs. At least with one good monitor I don't have to carry a vocal monitor and a guitar cab. I'm looking around to see what else there is at that level of sound quality - maybe there's a smaller, lighter option, but I sort of doubt it. It appears that the higher mass is critical to getting accuracy in the low end.

Let the bassist handle the low end.

I have used a few power amp / cab setups with the AxeFX, and the best results I've gotten so far is using a XiTone FRFR monitor-style powered cabinet. That cabinet it pretty lightweight, sounds amazing in both monitor configuration and when sitting on its side like an amp cab (in my backline), and because it's FRFR, it's not coloring my tone at all. I just send an XLR feed to the front of house, knowing that they're getting the same sound that I am hearing onstage. Flat response / full range is the key that unlocks the power of the AxeFX; that way your tone is entirely controlled within the AxeFX, and you get the benefit from all the work that went into those cab / mic models.

What type of cab and speaker do you use onstage? Are you making any adjustments to the signal chain going to your cab versus what’s going to FOH?

Depending on the venue size. I only run mono to cabinets on stage and I generally run mono to FOH as well.
Small gigs: I use either a mesa boogie 1x12 Thiele with Eminence legend speaker
Medium: Port City 2x12 regular size with scumback m75s
Large: Port city 2x12 Oversize with scumback M75s.

I don't send cab sim IRs to the real cabinets so I split off the shunt in the preset to go to output 3 before the cab block. Going to output 3 I have a graphic EQ block that has a bump in the low end that I'll turn on or off depending if I need that extra thump. Depends on the venue acoustics. 80% of the time I don't need it.

Since my current band runs "silent stage" with the bass player running direct, the bass is running through my monitor.

Then let the bassist buy a monitor that is meant to handle bass frequencies.

Asking something to do a job its not designed to do is setting up a bad time.

Then let the bassist buy a monitor that is meant to handle bass frequencies.

Asking something to do a job its not designed to do is setting up a bad time.
He is hearing his bassist thru his own monitor... Changing the bassist's monitor won't help ;)

He is hearing his bassist thru his own monitor... Changing the bassist's monitor won't help ;)

Is there an option for the bassist to have his own separate monitor? Do you have any method of finding out the lowest frequency your bass player uses, and making sure the monitor you buy fits that spec? I don't know if the RTA block would go that low, wasn't checking low end when I used it on a bass preset.

Either way, 24dB/octave cut at 120hZ on the guitars should help clear things up, not sure if that's in use currently. Guitars live around 5k IIRC, everything else is someone else's toes.

Is there an option for the bassist to have his own separate monitor?
What are you talking about?

He can have whatever he wants on his side of the stage (though he uses IEMs). I need my own monitor for vocals, bass, keys, and my own guitars (including acoustics). I don't trust house gear for this purpose.

I think I had a misunderstanding of the issue.

I still stand by checking the low frequency and max spl of whatever speakers you're looking at.

My dirty secret is that I tried JBL EON 610s, and while they are not brilliant (Cliff reckons they are too shrill) you can make them work by killing the high top end with the Bluetooth EQ editor. I know this should be done in the cab block but it seems like a problem specific to the speaker. I actually got a matrix FR10 to upgrade, but I had gotten used to the JBL and the singer preferred it 🤷‍♂️.

RSI means my number one consideration is weight. Presonus Eris monitors go ok for clarity at home, but sonic accuracy is just not a priority for me on stage especially with a bassist and drummer. We’re just a pub rock band, no stadiums! 😁 I’ve never tried a really good monitor like a CLR so I don’t know what I’m missing. I guess I’m saying that being ‘stuck’ with the EONs due to having to look after my busted muscles, you can make lots of things work if you’re not aiming for perfection and just need stage monitoring.

Back
Top Bottom