Wish Solo mode for channels

Experiment with these:
  • In the modifier itself, for each instance, you can specify whether it works on all channels of that block, or only one specific one.
  • In Controllers > CS per Scene you can define whether a CS is On/Off/Last. "Last" uses the last setting it was set to when the scene switched. It might continue across presets, I haven't tested that.
There was another thing to try but I got called to do some "honey-do"s and forgot what it was.

Oh, I remember now…
  • Scene Ignore in a block might be your friend.
  • Also, as a bonus, experiment with Controllers > Scene Ctrl 1+2 as that'll add some additional controls.
These things are fricken flexible, but sometimes it takes some fiddling to find the right combination.
Also Scene Controllers 3 and 4 ;)

Experiment with these:
  • In the modifier itself, for each instance, you can specify whether it works on all channels of that block, or only one specific one.
  • In Controllers > CS per Scene you can define whether a CS is On/Off/Last. "Last" uses the last setting it was set to when the scene switched. It might continue across presets, I haven't tested that.
The first should work (I read in the manual, but haven't still try). The second no, CS should be always on but with different values.

There was another thing to try but I got called to do some "honey-do"s and forgot what it was.

Oh, I remember now…
  • Scene Ignore in a block might be your friend.
  • Also, as a bonus, experiment with Controllers > Scene Ctrl 1+2 as that'll add some additional controls.
These things are fricken flexible, but sometimes it takes some fiddling to find the right combination.
Scene ignore... uh, that's hurt my brain. It reminds me what Cliff said when someone asked for a second level controller... :)
Scene Ctrl 1+2 and 3+4... that's something only an evil mind can ask for... :D:grin:

I had a (kinda) similar wish a very long time ago for 2 selectable (via scenes or modifiers) 'Basic/Ideal' and 'GEQ' pages ('1' and '2') in the Amp block. Since the advanced parameters didn't change, I thought that this wouldn't have any gap.
The more I dive into the modifier, the more I realize how brilliant is the "channel variation" idea.
You don't have to mess with "n" different pages of editing, the parameters remains editable (no need to go in the modifier page). I fear the need of on stage adjustment. I have yet to try if encoders work in perform pages...

I trust Cliff to select the parameters that allow istant noiseless change (I remember drive/gain can cause scratchiness)!

You could just tie multiple parameters to one control switch. Delay, volume, gain, drive block. Hit the control switch to go from solo back to your base.
I try, doesn't work. I need each channel have it's own modifiers. (we can set modifier for ALL channels of for A/B/C/D only, but one and only modifier per patch attached to a parameter).

While I was trying different ways to achieve "solo mode", I think about the easiest wish user interface.

Fractal already have bright switch and bright cap, to name one similar function (a switch that make use of a value if enabled).

We have to be able to select the channel, and the parameters, and set the values.

Something like a "scenes manager" in each block: a "channel manager"...?

Channel number: <> Variation switch: <>
Name Values
Parameter 1 <> | base <> | variation <>
Parameter 2 <> | base <> | variation <>
Parameter 3 <> | base <> | variation <>
Parameter 4 <> | base <> | variation <>

The "variation" can be attached to a modifier (and the base parameter too). The graphics & function should be similar to perfom page, drag and drop. The base column are the original values (it's possible to edit from this page or the traditional ones, used when variation switch is OFF); the last column are the values when variation switch is ON (editing only in this page)

(I call base and variation, but could be rytm/solo, A/B, X/Y or whatever. The key point is the binary approach, that work with a footsw or a button: on or off, high or low....).

Numerical example...

Channel number: <1> Variation switch #1: <on>
Name Values
Parameter 1 <amp level> | base <4> | variation <4>.
Parameter 2 <drive level> | base <value4> | variation <5>
Parameter 3 <master> | base <9> | variation <10>
Parameter 4 <high> | base <5> | variation <5,5>

Enough ramblin'. What do you think? Doable? Complex? Unworth?<>
:)

What do you think? Doable? Complex? Unworth?<>

Doable? Sure. A good idea? I don't know, but there will always be limits on how much can be done in a single preset. You can do a lot with modifiers, scene controllers, and channels, but at some point you have to recognize that it's not practical to try to cram every sound you might ever want into a single preset.

While I was trying different ways to achieve "solo mode", I think about the easiest wish user interface.

Fractal already have bright switch and bright cap, to name one similar function (a switch that make use of a value if enabled).

We have to be able to select the channel, and the parameters, and set the values.

Something like a "scenes manager" in each block: a "channel manager"...?

Channel number: <> Variation switch: <>
Name Values
Parameter 1 <> | base <> | variation <>
Parameter 2 <> | base <> | variation <>
Parameter 3 <> | base <> | variation <>
Parameter 4 <> | base <> | variation <>

The "variation" can be attached to a modifier (and the base parameter too). The graphics & function should be similar to perfom page, drag and drop. The base column are the original values (it's possible to edit from this page or the traditional ones, used when variation switch is OFF); the last column are the values when variation switch is ON (editing only in this page)

(I call base and variation, but could be rytm/solo, A/B, X/Y or whatever. The key point is the binary approach, that work with a footsw or a button: on or off, high or low....).

Numerical example...

Channel number: <1> Variation switch #1: <on>
Name Values
Parameter 1 <amp level> | base <4> | variation <4>.
Parameter 2 <drive level> | base <value4> | variation <5>
Parameter 3 <master> | base <9> | variation <10>
Parameter 4 <high> | base <5> | variation <5,5>

Enough ramblin'. What do you think? Doable? Complex? Unworth?<>
take a step back and look. this is very complex as described.

channels already do this. to have a sub-channel of a channel with specific parameters selected by the user, per channel, per scene, per preset... it's just a lot of steps. when there are a lot of "pers" it is becoming complex.

more channels would be the easiest implementation of more sounds.

selecting just a few parameters per channel per scene probably won't save much memory compared to the interface that needs to be built to do these things and store the changes.

there are 512 or more presets with 8 scenes each, 4 channels in most blocks. that's a lot of data. you may have to split up your preset that does everything into a few presets with the different tones. this would free up scenes and channels for doing your solo boost with different specifics per tone.

take a step back and look. this is very complex as described.

channels already do this. to have a sub-channel of a channel with specific parameters selected by the user, per channel, per scene, per preset... it's just a lot of steps. when there are a lot of "pers" it is becoming complex.
I see. But I think add a lot of functionality to any player.

more channels would be the easiest implementation of more sounds.
It's no the same. Footswitch is the main instrument to recall different sounds. More channels, more taps, more switches. With the "alternate channel" you can halve the number of button or tap. On stage it means a lot.

selecting just a few parameters per channel per scene probably won't save much memory compared to the interface that needs to be built to do these things and store the changes.think

there are 512 or more presets with 8 scenes each, 4 channels in most blocks. that's a lot of data. you may have to split up your preset that does everything into a few presets with the different tones. this would free up scenes and channels for doing your solo boost with different specifics per tone.
Well... that's true! But is also true for every parameters or page in the axexf! Do you remember when I asked Cliff someway to activate multiple block at the same time? Most people was against it. The result of discussion was the implementation of X/Y, later scenes. Cons argument was the same: you have already controller, you have plenty of memory slot, use MIDI...

I think actual architecture of data is a waste: 512x8x4xsongxsectionsx whatever you like! I made a wish for better use. Maybe next generation will get rid of scenes and use only presets, channels, songs & sections in a session like approach. And song will contain more info (key, tempo, bypass block, levels...). So we can use "song" instead of "scene". Much more user friendly...

I see. But I think add a lot of functionality to any player.
A lot of functionality can also mean a lot of setup and additional design. The “cost” of designing something new needs to balance with what it gives and how many might use this. To me this is just “asking for more” than what we have.
It's no the same. Footswitch is the main instrument to recall different sounds. More channels, more taps, more switches. With the "alternate channel" you can halve the number of button or tap.
How would you engage this alternate channel? With a footswitch? Seems the same either way. You could just Toggle between 2 channels that already exist. Switch 1 Channel A or B. Easy.

To have 4 tones and 4 lead versions of those tones with the current functionality, you’d need 8 channels. So the issue is we don’t have enough channels as is. If we did have 8 channels, someone would use them all up and want 16. And so on. With 4 parameters available in “Solo mode” someone would want 8 parameters. It’s never ending, so an end needs to be determined.

I’m all for more channels and scenes, but until then I make what I have work for me.

Well... that's true! But is also true for every parameters or page in the axexf! Do you remember when I asked Cliff someway to activate multiple block at the same time? Most people was against it. The result of discussion was the implementation of X/Y, later scenes. Cons argument was the same: you have already controller, you have plenty of memory slot, use MIDI...
I don’t recall the full conversation, but many players asked for a way to activate multiple blocks at once since the Standard and Ultra days. I do t recall many being against it. The solution then with the MFC or midi was to assign the same CC# to the blocks you wanted on and off at the same time. I’m sure you were part of the conversation, but many players needed this solution.

Even with Scenes now, people are still asking for more ways to activate multiple blocks without using Scenes. There will always be a request for more - which is great - but at a certain point, more cannot be given.

I like and understand the idea of Solo/Lead modes. There are already many ways to do this now.

This version is creating a new version of a block channel that is more complicated than just adding more channels.

It’s a good idea in general, but to me it’s very complicated. There are so many layers of the hierarchy. Make a preset, make scenes, make channels, now make a solo version of the channel with just a few parameters.

A solution for now would be to make a preset for Clean, another preset for Crunch, etc. then your clean preset has 8 scenes and 4 (or 8 with 2 amps) amp channels to use for your solo modes. Same with crunch and the other tones.

Instead of cramming more features into a single preset slot, make more presets, which makes more channels and scenes available.

just my thoughts on this one.

@chris have a look at my preset, if you like, I already use 8 scenes, 4 rytmh 4 lead. I also duplicate the preset 3 times, reordireng scenes just to switch easier from FM3 footsw. Good ideas are welcome!

Just as a bonus, variations should give "instant switch": zero gap, zero delay. There should be no type or parameters that require "stationarities". I remember Cliff told us that he could make a switch within the same amp type faster, but axefx doesn't know if next channel is the same type. If the variation is limited to a subset of value (and in my wish... yes!), then instant switch approach is doable.

By the way, this is just a wish. I prefer to have ONE astonishing sound, over thousands of good one. I can play a show with one crunch and one guitar. Channels, drivers, delays, etc... (real or virtual) are welcome helpers. Sometimes I play hours just the crunch channel. FW 6/21 are so godd, if Cliff choose to drop 511 preset for a tone search... go for it! :cool:

Last edited:
So…back to the simple request, a solo boost. 😏
No, I keep the alternative/variation/you name it channel approach wish! Maybe for the next gen Fractal. It helps a lot to make a wish: I worked on external controller on FM3, shared patches, think about alternative, resurrect old wishes that could achieve similar result (more channels, independent modifier per channel, so on). Maybe Cliff will create a new imaginary function, CCSM (Cliff Chase Solo Mode)...! :D

No, I keep the alternative/variation/you name it channel approach wish! Maybe for the next gen Fractal. It helps a lot to make a wish: I worked on external controller on FM3, shared patches, think about alternative, resurrect old wishes that could achieve similar result (more channels, independent modifier per channel, so on). Maybe Cliff will create a new imaginary function, CCSM (Cliff Chase Solo Mode)...! :D
I really get it Smilzo, I tried to have several kitchensink presets for different guitars and genres to avoid making a preset per song. And the only thing I couldn't fix was different solo settings. I wanted to have several options as a kitchensink and when solo section those items (blocks and settings) and hoped it could be done with scene ignore. But scene ignore is not per channel but per channel block. And when a block has scene ignore it also will behave this way in the preset. I was hoping to have 1 scene for solo, but scene ignore will not work. Of course I could make 8 scenes with different solo sections and use the songlist feature. But this will give a gap to switch stuff.

For this the only alternative seems to be a Control Switch assigned to the items that should be in the solo.

Question to all: Is Control Switch per scene or per preset?

Reason for asking is: if I have 8 presets with 8 different amps that I use for different songs can I implement items how can I set CS for this so that the FX for the specific amp. It was stated that CS will fix this. But I guess this can be fixed per preset, not per scene. I.e. that the control switch is selecting everything in the preset not in a specific channel.

(I'm trying to find some easy way to have less presets (maintenance) and have alway's a SOLO option related to a specific setup and NOT have a GAP (so all items are within the preset).

I am setting this up right now. Basically I have two variations on the Marshall SV20, one for Strat/single-coils and another for Humbuckers. I will probably setup another for slide guitar so that leaves one channel left for other stuff like solo boost. I am going to try and setup a controller to toggle/morph to a slightly louder volume either on the amp channel volume or Outputs.

I am setting this up right now. Basically I have two variations on the Marshall SV20, one for Strat/single-coils and another for Humbuckers. I will probably setup another for slide guitar so that leaves one channel left for other stuff like solo boost. I am going to try and setup a controller to toggle/morph to a slightly louder volume either on the amp channel volume or Outputs.
I will start soon as well creating my FC12 & Setlist stuff inclusing kitchensink presets. Maybe we can share idea's (syx files) ;)

Most of the players are satisfy by a 2 channels amp, or a stompbox with 2 state. Axefx give more than that, but we need to break Fractal architecture: Midi CC & modifiers are continuous (they need curve, damp, so on) not on/off. And were born at a PRESET level than somehow integrated into scenes and channel. But they remain preset controller.

1) Solo per channel with modifier is doable only if the controller device allow different values for scene (something even axefx can't achieve now).
2) Solo per channel with modifier will be doable if modifier will be moved to channel level (hence 4 times actual resources).
3) Solo per channel w/out modifier will be doable if some parameters will be added (hence, more resources).

I must stress out that "solo" is a catchy word to describe a "variation". The wish approach is useable in any situation when 2 state need to be switched, ie an input block set for 2 different guitars. A virtual capo set for a semitone/2 tones down.

Another question arise from the last consideration: do we wish activation of solo mode for a single channel/block, or for scene/globally?
Say we have solo mode, we set a virtual capo, with -1 tone, and amp boost (+3bd). When we switch on solo mode, both of them will be loaded? Or we wish a way to control each block (or channel) separately?

In my initial thought, activation is "global". If we want to use solo mode for a single block, some more filters and functions must be added!

I really get it Smilzo, I tried to have several kitchensink presets for different guitars and genres to avoid making a preset per song. And the only thing I couldn't fix was different solo settings. I wanted to have several options as a kitchensink and when solo section those items (blocks and settings) and hoped it could be done with scene ignore. But scene ignore is not per channel but per channel block. And when a block has scene ignore it also will behave this way in the preset. I was hoping to have 1 scene for solo, but scene ignore will not work. Of course I could make 8 scenes with different solo sections and use the songlist feature. But this will give a gap to switch stuff.

For this the only alternative seems to be a Control Switch assigned to the items that should be in the solo.

Question to all: Is Control Switch per scene or per preset?

Reason for asking is: if I have 8 presets with 8 different amps that I use for different songs can I implement items how can I set CS for this so that the FX for the specific amp. It was stated that CS will fix this. But I guess this can be fixed per preset, not per scene. I.e. that the control switch is selecting everything in the preset not in a specific channel.

(I'm trying to find some easy way to have less presets (maintenance) and have alway's a SOLO option related to a specific setup and NOT have a GAP (so all items are within the preset).
Control Switches are global.

What you assign them to is per-preset.

Back
Top Bottom