Wish Solo mode for channels

Smilzo

Fractal Fanatic
For each channel, I wish a "solo mode", a simple variation of the channel with a few parameter setting for a solo sound.
When "solo mode" is off, channel use base parameters. When on, "solo parameters" are used.

The main use is with FC/midi pedalboard/ switch (control) to go from the rithm to solo and back in any scene we are. Solo mode could be a flag stored in the preset setting (or scene setting, if someone want to save a scene in solo mode...?).

The number of parameters could be around 4: in the amp and drive input level, output level, mid and tremble. In the delay block, level, mix, feedback.
Maybe better, let user choose the target parameter and solo value (I wish to tweak presence, rather than tremble or input level!). I think 4 parameter are enough: what do you think?

A Mode within a Channel within a Scene within a Preset ...

I don't know ... wouldn't that take up more CPU?

For each channel, I wish a "solo mode", a simple variation of the channel with a few parameter setting for a solo sound.
When "solo mode" is off, channel use base parameters. When on, "solo parameters" are used.

The main use is with FC/midi pedalboard/ switch (control) to go from the rithm to solo and back in any scene we are. Solo mode could be a flag stored in the preset setting (or scene setting, if someone want to save a scene in solo mode...?).

The number of parameters could be around 4: in the amp and drive input level, output level, mid and tremble. In the delay block, level, mix, feedback.
Maybe better, let user choose the target parameter and solo value (I wish to tweak presence, rather than tremble or input level!). I think 4 parameter are enough: what do you think?
You could just tie multiple parameters to one control switch. Delay, volume, gain, drive block. Hit the control switch to go from solo back to your base.

To me his ask seems more like the Kemper morph feature
Morphing involves sweeping continuously between two different sounds. That’s not part of what the OP asked for. That Axe-Fx has morphing capability, as well as what the OP originally asked for, as you noted above.

Morphing involves sweeping continuously between two different sounds. That’s not part of what the OP asked for. That Axe-Fx has morphing capability, as well as what the OP originally asked for, as you noted above.
True, but I think Kemper owners often use morphing to do what the OP is asking for (I suspect that might be where he got the idea). They'll assign a few boosted parameters to the 2nd position and use a switch to jump back and forth. It's actually a pretty clever idea. I don't know if that was part of the original intention of the morphing feature. If it was, they probably wouldn't have called it morphing :).

True, but I think Kemper owners often use morphing to do what the OP is asking for (I suspect that might be where he got the idea). They'll assign a few boosted parameters to the 2nd position and use a switch to jump back and forth. It's actually a pretty clever idea. I don't know if that was part of the original intention of the morphing feature. If it was, they probably wouldn't have called it morphing :).
Thank you for clarifying better. Like I said, this can be achieved with control switches. But (and I could be wrong) those can only be applied per channel. I think what OP is getting at being able to do it per scene. Hopefully OP can chime in again lol.

Yes I used morphing in the Kemper for this and it worked great. It would be amazing to have something similar on the FM3.
I’m not really sure how to explain but how was morphing different on the kemper vs fractals capabilities to produce something similar? I can’t really put my finger on it. Fractal can basically do it or come veryyyyyyyy close, but kemper morph still feels like somethings a hair different

just use one channel for the non solo, and another for the solo.

if that makes you run out of channels, then this wish is really just for more channels. shrug

I’m not really sure how to explain but how was morphing different on the kemper vs fractals capabilities to produce something similar? I can’t really put my finger on it. Fractal can basically do it or come veryyyyyyyy close, but kemper morph still feels like somethings a hair different

With this kind of thing, the answer is almost always "Yes, you can do it on the Axe-FX, or at least something close, but it's more complicated." However, in return for putting up with that complication on the Axe-FX, you do get the benefit of more flexibility. Sometimes it's easy to see that's a good trade-off. Sometimes not.

In any case, I think the spirit of this wish is: provide a simple way to perform this common task.

With this kind of thing, the answer is almost always "Yes, you can do it on the Axe-FX, or at least something close, but it's more complicated." However, in return for putting up with that complication on the Axe-FX, you do get the benefit of more flexibility. Sometimes it's easy to see that's a good trade-off. Sometimes not.

In any case, I think the spirit of this wish is: provide a simple way to perform this common task.
I agree. But wouldn’t the simple way be to just use a control switch or expression pedal to control any and all modifiers? Only difference would be that it’s on a per channel basis and not on a scene to scene basis

I agree. But wouldn’t the simple way be to just use a control switch or expression pedal to control any and all modifiers? Only difference would be that it’s on a per channel basis and not on a scene to scene basis
Yes, you would use control switches to do this on the Axe-FX. The Kemper method is a little simpler to set up. And it’s easier to change the transition time, but both methods work well to do the job.

So to implement this on the FM3/9 or fc6 I envision the switch hold function to enable the “morph“. Let’s say for this example that the morph would be a transition to 4db boost on the amp output level. How would you set this up?

tnx for the response!
To clarify: no morph request!

I already wished more channel. The problem is memory. That's another story.

I have 5-6 main sound I use to cover all my 100+songs. They are "my" sound for pop, rock, metal. Each sound ideally have a "solo" sound: sometimes I use compressor, sometimes drive, sometimes the eq of amps. The tweaking to solo/boost clean amp doesn't work with metal or rock. Also, I like to tweak delay for lead sound (like LT). I can't use one lead scene, I must use 5-6. So I duplicate scenes and tweak the duplicate. Problems: If I change patch, there's gap. I I stay in the same preset, I am limited to 8 scenes. I try duplicate patches, with various combination (demential, you know!). I try CS, but it's not that intuitive and bullet proof. I have several cable, jack and switches failed, I don't want to mess things during a song (it ok for tuner).

To explain the mode... do you know amp with dual master? You set master A and B, and recall them with footswitch. Same here.

The wish: instead of adding more channels/scenes (with thousands of parameters, hence Kb!) let add a few parameter (I think 4 are a good starting point for a discussion). Hence, some bytes worth.

CPU-wise, I'm not Cliff, but it's a simple step when you change state: if "on" then input gain:=solo gain (and so on for the 4 parameters) (it takes 1/100th of the load needed for a standard channel change, istantaneous!). I think this may solve any problem of lag user may have with scenes changes...

Why "solo mode". Because when I play, I don't think "I have to activate master B", but I think "I need to solo/to cut/lead".

I share my wish, any suggestion criticism are welcome. that OUR wish, and any contribution add value and lead to better idea tha original!

I think Fractal setting are engineering oriented. We have scenes, channels, preset, CS, setlist, songs... general purpose instrument. But it lacks simplicity (in a guitar player way), like a tubescream or a lead channel. Activate the TS or the lead channel. Tweak a few knobs, there you are. The "solo mode" replicate reality: few knobs, (like a tubescream or a lead channel of 5150) and a switch to activate.

It has to be simple, intuitive, light. But powerful.

So to implement this on the FM3/9 or fc6 I envision the switch hold function to enable the “morph“. Let’s say for this example that the morph would be a transition to 4db boost on the amp output level. How would you set this up?
Go to amp setting, set "solo output level" to desire level. Assign the FM switch to "solo mode function". Holding the switch. Done with 4 db? Yes, save. No, tweak "solo output level" until 4db reached. Save. Done.

I like CS to morph sound (like a wha, or a swell, or mix ambient and direct sound). There's no need to morph, I need two different sound. :)

I suspect CS load more the CPU. It cicle the reading many times a second, and calculate the new value in real time. Solo mode should be almost no load. It's On or Off. Neither between. If it's on, then recall few parameters and use them. There should be zero difference in solo mode CPU wise. If you add CS, you add a load to CPU.

Last edited:
Basically, he’s asking for twice as many channels, but restricting them to pairs of channels.
I think a little more. Yes, It's like having twice the channel (and somehow, with limitations, twice scenes). No, it's not restricted to a pairs of channels. All channels have solo mode. The number of parameters you can variate is limited. I think each block should have the mode (if it make sense for amp, delay, modulation, drive, reverb... I guess for i/o block, enhancer...).

When you active "solo mode", all the active channel is "turned on" (that is, make use of solo parameters).
It does no sense to "store" the activation on/off. It's a function, I will use FM/FC/external or CS to set status. But I Think many player could use automation and recall solo mode in scenes, presets, channels or songs. Does it make any sense?

I might add that "solo mode" could be used to "double" the scenes/channels, without any need to boost level or so. Ie: rotary, set the rate low and more bass and use in a chorus. It's just variation of a channel parameters. No fancy ramps, istant change. In the wish I ask for a limited number of parameters "user selectable" because a variation could be useful in many ways, other than solo. But "solo" in more axe-friendly than "limited user scene variation" mode. I hope so!

Back
Top Bottom