Solo boosting volume

gotw

How do you boost your volume for solos with the AX8? The TC Electronic Nova System has a volume boost, that raises the volume *after* the distortion stage so you get more volume, not more compression/break-up/sustain. I don't see something like this on the AX8, but maybe it doesn't need it. Can you just trigger an identical scene that has a louder master volume on the amp model? Is there a better way on the AX8 to boost volume for solos?
Thanks

I use a filter block set to a 3db boost as the last thing in my signal chain. Assign it to a footswitch.

Use the search, there was a discussion about doing this as a global function, but I think it ended up being a feature request.
Thanks! I did search for 'solo boost' but nothing jumped out at me.

Filter block, that's awesome. So simple. What a nice feature.

Since I don't use scenes, I like to do volume solo boost with Scene 2. I just increase the global out volume in Scene 2 by 3 or 4 db at the end of the chain and then assign an AX8 switch to toggle between Scenes 1 & 2. Use could also do this with a filter block or make any other solo block adjustments you like (increase drive, etc). I like the scene method because I use switch 1-4 as global presets and scene 5-8 as effect block toggles and don't have to waste the 4 effects block switches on volume boost. I re-assigned Function switch 3 to toggle scene 1&2 on short press (and tuner to Function Switch 2 since I don't use scenes any other way). Works great for me.

Since I don't use scenes, I like to do volume solo boost with Scene 2. I just increase the global out volume in Scene 2 by 3 or 4 db at the end of the chain and then assign an AX8 switch to toggle between Scenes 1 & 2. Use could also do this with a filter block or make any other solo block adjustments you like (increase drive, etc). I like the scene method because I use switch 1-4 as global presets and scene 5-8 as effect block toggles and don't have to waste the 4 effects block switches on volume boost. I re-assigned Function switch 3 to toggle scene 1&2 on short press (and tuner on long press). Works great for me.

Ah, very cool. I will try both...when I get my unit. :)

The delay and reverb tails keep going with it last in the chain. Be sure to set the filter block bypass mode to mute fx in.

If the chain is Delay->Reverb->Filter, then when you turn off the filter (3 dB boost) the delay/reverb trails will also drop abruptly by 3 dB. If the filter is before the delay/reverb, there is no volume drop on the trails. The same is true if using the scene master volume to change the volume.

Why don't you just make the mid boost in the filter block or the volume boost in the GEQ?
That's definitely an efficient way of doing it but I like having them independent of each other. I want the option to kick in a volume boost for fills with an instant access switch while in my rhythm scene without having it add the mid boost as well.

Back
Top Bottom