Solo boost volume

petitjoufflu

Hi,

I have an AX8 and need a simple way to boost 3 or 5 DB each sound of my preset/scene...

I try to make a volume effect in each preset but it is too long and complicated to do for a lot a preset.

In fact, I see 2 ways :
  • one switch button dedicated to a general boost for the output
  • using a pedal for volume with no 0/100 scale but 80/100 scale for exemple (one position for rythm, the other for solo)

how do you guys manage easily boost solo volume ?

You could use an EQ. Either strategically boost frequencies that will help your sound stand out, or slightly raise all of the frequencies in the guitar range.

Raising a few key mid frequencies with an EQ is how I've always boosted my solos so they stand out above the mix.

I put a null filter at the end of all of my presets. I set it for bypass when the preset is called up. I set the filter for the desired boost and assign the filter to the same foot switch in every preset. When I need boost I just step on the foot switch. Step on it again to disengage the boost. Easy peezy.

in fact I look at one way very easy to manage volume, I don't want to modify each preset...

DB boost will happen at the preset level, so you'd have to modify each one... You can set the global parameters of your Filter block for a quick add and footswitch config, but I'm not sure of a way to do this globally for each preset.

Filter boost at the end of the signal chain works the best for myself! How many presets would you have to modify the headroom on?

I love Control Switches for this purpose. They can be attached to any modifier and to bypass or engage any block. I typically have one attached to the Boost Switch of the Amp block and the Level of the Cab block. It can also be set to Latching or Momentary depending upon how long the phrase is.

Add a filter block to each preset. Do it once and you’re done. Almost all gear these days use the Preset concept so you have to do it this way.

I initially - when I got my FX8 about 18 months ago - used a Volume block to boost solos, but since adding an AX8 to my Fractal stable a few weeks (and reading ever more forum hints and tips) have been putting a Filter block (often two these days) at the end of the chain and add dBs to taste. Personally, I think that works a treat.

Hi,

I have an AX8 and need a simple way to boost 3 or 5 DB each sound of my preset/scene...

I try to make a volume effect in each preset but it is too long and complicated to do for a lot a preset.

In fact, I see 2 ways :
  • one switch button dedicated to a general boost for the output
  • using a pedal for volume with no 0/100 scale but 80/100 scale for exemple (one position for rythm, the other for solo)

how do you guys manage easily boost solo volume ?
5db on lead scene

after drives, amps, and compressors, but before delays and reverbs, since you want the tails of those to ring out naturally.

If you dont want to bother with a block in every preset, you could just buy a boost pedal and put it after your AX8. (Personally, I prefer to do it on a preset basis)

An advantage in doing it in each preset is that you can dial in the level as needed - one set boost of say 5db may not always be right.

Some may - or may not - agree, but using scene controllers for your amp’s drive parameter can also do the trick. Well worth checking out Leon Todd’s YouTube vid on using scene controllers.

Some may - or may not - agree, but using scene controllers for your amp’s drive parameter can also do the trick. Well worth checking out Leon Todd’s YouTube vid on using scene controllers.
the main issue with this method is Drive doesn't always increase volume.

Even before i’d finished my post I thought “but the drive alone won’t always boost the volume to a desirable level (and especially when it comes to SOLO volume boosts), so I might be throwing out a bit of a red herring to the seagulls”, as it were. And i’m actually, 90% of the time, using filter blocks (i’m Increasingly using two at the end of the chain to give me different boost options in different scenes) but i’ve been using scene controllers on the Plexi(s) to noticeably increase volume - and some dirt/ crunch) - to good effect... especially for rhythm and/ or riffs. But in terms of specific SOLO volume boost I am a huge fan of the Filter Block(s).

in fact I look at one way very easy to manage volume, I don't want to modify each preset...
Once you add the filter you can copy it to every preset and it will appear on every scene. Activate it on the scene for soloing.
You might need to tweak the actual boost value but that's a given any way you do it.

Back
Top Bottom