SOLO 100 = AWESOMENESS

I think that the SOLO 100 sounds best with cab #45: Red Wire's Soldano V12. Like most of you I run the Master high and Input Drive rather low. With low Treble and Presence settings I can leave the Bright switch turned on.

Do you leave the mic position on R121 as it is on the factory preset?

I don't get the love for the F188 stock cab (XL and XL+). Seriously, I don't.
It sounds rather shrill, thin and raspy to my ears, when compared to cab #57 (also a G12H), which I like a lot.
As a MKI owner this is partly why I was curious to know the recipes used in the new factory CEL based cabs. I feel Celestion are a little late to join the commercial IR party and what I hear from their audio samples on their website does not sound much different to what's already available out there from other established IR vendors (or indeed already built in to the Factory Cabs). Are we heading for a 'boutique' market in Cabinet/Speaker IRs? Seems quite absurd to me .... just how boutique can a few milliseconds of a mic'd capture be?

But that is way off topic here and a discussion maybe for another place and time.

Eddie's settings:
"Normal preamp at almost 8, overdrive preamp at around 7, bass at 8, mids at 3, treble at 4, normal master at around 5, overdrive master at around 6, and presence at 5. It appears the bright and crunch switches are in the up position, but can't say 100%"

I found this post today & pulled out my 1990 SLO100, dialed in these settings & recorded.
Honestly, it's a little too much bass but otherwise it's 95% VH FUCK tone.
Then I dialed in the Axe & it's exactly the same. Great SLO tone in the box

It sounds rather shrill, thin and raspy to my ears, when compared to cab #57 (also a G12H), which I like a lot.

I think that the SOLO 100 sounds best with cab #45: Red Wire's Soldano V12. Like most of you I run the Master high and Input Drive rather low. With low Treble and Presence settings I can leave the Bright switch turned on.

BTW, Warren Hayes uses V30s.

I find the Bright switch harsher than my settings. But I did give it some gas at 4K with the GEQ too. It still sounds less harsh on my setup this way vs. the Bright switch.

upload_2017-5-28_11-31-12.png

Ah...I forgot about the 4K boost. ;)

I tend to baseline my presets a little dark and then add 4K.

Also, this year we are playing a lot louder, so I dialed my presets back to the dark side, they still sound maybe a tad BRIGHT, when cranked up loud though.

Very dull sounding at bedroom levels.

@barhrecords - I have tried your settings - surprised how good they are sounding with bass/mids on 10?! Haven´t add the 4K boost.

More direct and punchy as default settings - I like this sound a lot with Greenbacks G12M - a simple SM 57 IR from CabIR or OH.
works great with SC and HB-PU.

Is this your solosound or boost this additional with a drive?

@barhrecords - I have tried your settings - surprised how good they are sounding with bass/mids on 10?! Haven´t add the 4K boost.

More direct and punchy as default settings - I like this sound a lot with Greenbacks G12M - a simple SM 57 IR from CabIR or OH.
works great with SC and HB-PU.

Is this your solosound or boost this additional with a drive?

I know the settings were very unconventional for me too... but worked. I would have never thought to dial it in like that by ear.

That is my rhythm tone.

I boost with a GEQ after the cab block:

upload_2017-5-28_14-22-42.png

I did notice just now I have a PEQ always on after the Cab block too.

So my chain is Amp -> Cab -> PEQ -> GEQ (for boost)

PEQ is:

upload_2017-5-28_14-24-8.png

upload_2017-5-28_14-24-28.png

upload_2017-5-28_14-24-46.png

I found this post today & pulled out my 1990 SLO100, dialed in these settings & recorded.
Honestly, it's a little too much bass but otherwise it's 95% VH FUCK tone.
Then I dialed in the Axe & it's exactly the same. Great SLO tone in the box
Awesome, thanks for the report!!
How do you replicate the master and "overdrive master" as separate controls? Is the latter analogous to master trim?

Edit: oh, and that last 5% is in the pitch block detuning with a voice 6-9 cents above and a second 6-9 cents below ;)

Is this for the lead or crunch channel - rumors said Knöpfler and Clapton have used the crunch channel?
These are the settings Mark Knopfler used in the On Every Street tour:
settings-oes-tour.jpg

He used both the crunch and lead channels it seems and a lot of bass. I'll have to try them, I still haven't tried the soldano models.

BTW, Warren Hayes uses V30s.

I bought several celestion irs when they appeared (with the 50%) as a lot of people was raving them and I don't like them at all: anemic and brittle at least at rehearsal/gig volumes (maybe good at low levels). I much prefer all the ownhammer and the ML fender cab pack I have.

THANKS so much for that !

Now ..., I don't own Cab Pack 3 ....

But, based on OH's coding this IR is one of Scott Peterson's mixes using the Celestion G12L "blackback" ... ?

THANKS so much for that !

Now ..., I don't own Cab Pack 3 ....

But, based on OH's coding this IR is one of Scott Peterson's mixes using the Celestion G12L "blackback" ... ?
Yes, blackback is the key, Factory 147 is blackback, sounds much brighter but can work.

Back
Top Bottom