SOLO 100 = AWESOMENESS

So he put a little switch in there where I can have it stock or I can have it at my mod. And since then a lot of other guitar players that use Soldanos have requested that same modification, there are dozens of guitar players around the country that have that same mod done to their amp.
If that isn't a description of the Bright switch in the Axe, nothing is.

I recently started listening to polyphia and found out that they use the SLO 100 for leads. looked in that manual for how to set it well, have master around 9.6 and input gain usually lower than 1.16... can get some really nice split coil tones as well as lead in any position

I find that the SLO sim isn't very forgiving, but it'll do a lot of different things if you dial it in carefully. Like anything in the Axe, a lot of it depends on the IR you choose.

The slo100 amp of any amp was designed for live use . Had one. Amazing live and loud . At home...not so much

Yes I used to play an SLO 100 for almosr 20 years before the Axe FX and it was very loud but great. For little pup gigs it was painfull in the ears, as the SLO 100 starts really to sound with MV al least on 5, which I couldn't do in a pub. Inspired by this thread and the Warren Haynes settings in post #6 I did a little recording last night with those settings. Sounds nice and warm with the "Bright" switch off. I left the factory ir's in it but would love to know how it would sound with F188. I suppose more open and clear. Mind you I had a couple of beers last night and struggled a bit with the fast riff in the last solo....:D

I own an SLO100. They have such an aggressive mid range. The only other amp I own that has that sort of mid range bark is my 68 small box 50w plexi has. If you don't like that kind of mid range, it's near impossible to dial out. I think they are great sounding amps.
I did a tone match a couple of years back (so it's so may firmware updates ago) and I got it so close to a recording I had done previously with the SLO100. Need to revisit this amp model when I have time.

Original SLO on the solo.

AxeFX SLO on the solo.

Here are my settings.

These work for my Strat with many different IR's.

upload_2017-5-27_7-33-7.png

Cranked up loud, those settings are glorious. Wonderful gain feeling but really on the clean'ish side.

These originated from some Clapton settings I found on the internet.

I am giving it a 3.5db boost at 4K with the amp block GEQ also.

I own an SLO100. They have such an aggressive mid range. The only other amp I own that has that sort of mid range bark is my 68 small box 50w plexi has. If you don't like that kind of mid range, it's near impossible to dial out. I think they are great sounding amps.
I did a tone match a couple of years back (so it's so may firmware updates ago) and I got it so close to a recording I had done previously with the SLO100. Need to revisit this amp model when I have time.

Original SLO on the solo.

AxeFX SLO on the solo.

Yeah Vinny its very close - the real SLO sounds a bit thicker or fat but the AXE TX version has something nice too in a good way.

Here are my settings.

These work for my Strat with many different IR's.

View attachment 40027

Cranked up loud, those settings are glorious. Wonderful gain feeling but really on the clean'ish side.

These originated from some Clapton settings I found on the internet.

I am giving it a 3.5db boost at 4K with the amp block GEQ also.

Is this for the lead or crunch channel - rumors said Knöpfler and Clapton have used the crunch channel?

I don't get the love for the F188 stock cab (XL and XL+). Seriously, I don't.
It sounds rather shrill, thin and raspy to my ears, when compared to cab #57 (also a G12H), which I like a lot.

I think that the SOLO 100 sounds best with cab #45: Red Wire's Soldano V12. Like most of you I run the Master high and Input Drive rather low. With low Treble and Presence settings I can leave the Bright switch turned on.

BTW, Warren Hayes uses V30s.

Last edited:
The 100 was my go to on the ultra, then I stuck to the HBE for the longest time with the II until cliff posted his Plexi50 dimed patch, which was my latest go to for the last 2 years now I believe.

But I just checked, and yes, the SOLO 100 does kick some excellent ass right now, might have to put the Plexi50 patch off the side for the time being.

Thanks for bringing this up to my attention, much appreciated :)

Yes I used to play an SLO 100 for almosr 20 years before the Axe FX and it was very loud but great. For little pup gigs it was painfull in the ears, as the SLO 100 starts really to sound with MV al least on 5, which I couldn't do in a pub. Inspired by this thread and the Warren Haynes settings in post #6 I did a little recording last night with those settings. Sounds nice and warm with the "Bright" switch off. I left the factory ir's in it but would love to know how it would sound with F188. I suppose more open and clear. Mind you I had a couple of beers last night and struggled a bit with the fast riff in the last solo....:D

Yes - thats exactly what I like about it - warm - kind of mid range-y, but still has the clarity and definition I like with some nice break up !
Sounds great Tony !

The 100 was my go to on the ultra, then I stuck to the HBE for the longest time with the II until cliff posted his Plexi50 dimed patch, which was my latest go to for the last 2 years now I believe.

But I just checked, and yes, the SOLO 100 does kick some excellent ass right now, might have to put the Plexi50 patch off the side for the time being.

Thanks for bringing this up to my attention, much appreciated :)
Any hints on that Plexi 50 patch? Settings, any boosts?

I've always thought the SLO sounded pretty "swampy" I guess would be the word, like there's a chewiness you can't dial out that either people love or hate. Maybe it's because there's a certain high end clarity or tightness it just doesn't have.
That element is basically its signature as far as I can tell though. From my experience, it's great for leads, not so great for rhythm. Maybe I just haven't spent enough time dialing it in for that, but for leads it's pretty great.
You might try backing the PI down to about 50 in the power amp section of the amp block.

Was in a small bar a few years ago.

One guitarist played an SLO100 with the 4x12...the sound was GLORIOUS. There was gain, but you could hear every single detail of every note. I still chase that tone (it might have helped that it exfoliated my skin due to volume.) I've come close, but will try F188.

Yes I rember that very well - before my SLO I've played only Marshall and the SLO was unforgiving when I did not get the note right. I got forced to play accurate. Was quite hard at the beginning. But I loved the sound of it.

Back
Top Bottom