SOLO 100 = AWESOMENESS

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
I have to say - for whatever reason I have not really ever gone to this model in the past. Whether it was because I thought it might be too gainy or have too much highs. I don't know.
Recently I have been listening to a lot of Warren Haynes and found that the SLO 100 is an amp he uses a lot. So I thought - hey I have one of those in the AXE - time to re-visit this model. I looked up his settings and recreated them in the axe - and bam - there it was - the tone I have been looking for !
I love it when this happens - when I'm listening to an artist and I'm able to look up the amps used and re-create the tone in the axe. Isn't technology grand ?!?! :)

Yes, the SLO model is so legit. The FAS model is so much better than any other emulation I have heard or played and the amp itself is a total classic.

Two or three firmwares back, there was a rework to how cathode follower based amps respond. IMO it did a world of good for the Solo 100, which never felt quite right to me before that.

What cab did you use?

You mind posting where you found his settings?

Thanks man

I don't use a cab block since I use a real cab.
I just googled Warren Haynes settings for SLO 100 - there a bunch of images and some threads out there. Based on everything I read and have seen, these are fairly accurate.
These are the settings I used from a Soldano forum:

SLO current settings:

Pregain 4
Bass 7
Mids 5
Treble 5
Overdrive Master 6
Presence 6

He has his modified with a "Haynes "switch - which apparently is like the bright switch. Which is on by default - I switch it off.

Eddie's settings:
"Normal preamp at almost 8, overdrive preamp at around 7, bass at 8, mids at 3, treble at 4, normal master at around 5, overdrive master at around 6, and presence at 5. It appears the bright and crunch switches are in the up position, but can't say 100%"

I don't use a cab block since I use a real cab.
I just googled Warren Haynes settings for SLO 100 - there a bunch of images and some threads out there. Based on everything I read and have seen, these are fairly accurate.
These are the settings I used from a Soldano forum:

SLO current settings:

Pregain 4
Bass 7
Mids 5
Treble 5
Overdrive Master 6
Presence 6

He has his modified with a "Haynes "switch - which apparently is like the bright switch. Which is on by default - I switch it off.

I've done the same with warrens settings through the years with my axe and the slo model, and it really is uncanny how close it is now! Thought it was good before. But awesome now... makes ya wanna play 'Blind man in the dark' lol thats the riff i always go to when i pick the slo while noodling. Good post!

I've done the same with warrens settings through the years with my axe and the slo model, and it really is uncanny how close it is now! Thought it was good before. But awesome now... makes ya wanna play 'Blind man in the dark' lol thats the riff i always go to when i pick the slo while noodling. Good post!

yeah - that's a great riff - and one of my favorite govt mule records - lots of good stuff on that one !

The SLO 100 is my only dirty amp model right now.

I haven't been able to knock it out of the rotation since Quantum first hit the scene.

I recently switched to F188 for my cab. Played an outdoor show Monday with it. Incredible.

The Soldano in previous FW´s was to sharp and to gainy to me. Increasing now the Master helps a lot - I also like Rhythmchannel in the Axe!

I play it with Greenpacks from OH, I prefer the Scott Peterson Mixes - although I´m a fan of single Mics.

What´s the special on stock cab 188 on the XL? What Speakers?

The Soldano in previous FW´s was to sharp and to gainy to me. Increasing now the Master helps a lot - I also like Rhythmchannel in the Axe!

I play it with Greenpacks from OH, I prefer the Scott Peterson Mixes - although I´m a fan of single Mics.

What´s the special on stock cab 188 on the XL? What Speakers?

F188 is one of the new Celestion Creamback mixes.

I've always thought the SLO sounded pretty "swampy" I guess would be the word, like there's a chewiness you can't dial out that either people love or hate. Maybe it's because there's a certain high end clarity or tightness it just doesn't have.
That element is basically its signature as far as I can tell though. From my experience, it's great for leads, not so great for rhythm. Maybe I just haven't spent enough time dialing it in for that, but for leads it's pretty great.

It dialed in different than what I was expecting but I've never owned a real Soldano.

In my preset the bass is maxed for example.

Haynes: It's something that Mike Soldano does to give it more low midrange and more bottom end at a low pre-amp gain. The way he designed those amps was the more you turned up the pre-amp, the fatter the sound got, because most people like that high-gain sound. And I called him up about 10 or 12 years ago and said, 'I'm having trouble getting enough bottom out of this head.' And he said, 'That sounds impossible. How can that be? Where's your pre-amp set?' And I said, 'Two-and-a-half or three.' And he said, 'Oh, well most people run their pre-amps way up.' And I said 'Yeah, I just don't want all that pre-amp gain.' And he said, 'Well, I can make it where you get a lot of bottom at a low pre-amp gain.'

So he put a little switch in there where I can have it stock or I can have it at my mod. And since then a lot of other guitar players that use Soldanos have requested that same modification, there are dozens of guitar players around the country that have that same mod done to their amp.

Was in a small bar a few years ago.

One guitarist played an SLO100 with the 4x12...the sound was GLORIOUS. There was gain, but you could hear every single detail of every note. I still chase that tone (it might have helped that it exfoliated my skin due to volume.) I've come close, but will try F188.

Back
Top Bottom