Solid state amps

Entasis

Inspired
The only solid state amp model we have at the moment is the Jazz 120. Say I wanted to approximate another solid state amp, should I start with that model? Are there dials that I can turn to "minimize" the tube qualities of one of the clean amp models? Should Cliff add a crystal lattice knob in the amp block? ;)

In principle, at least for jazz, solid state amps are supposed to be transparent; should I eschew the amp block altogether? Replace it with a GEQ or Comp block? I know I should be listening first and foremost, but, pardon my naïveté, I don't know what I'm listening for... I have never been good at dialing in clean sounds.

Any leads on getting something akin to the following amps would be appreciated; thank you!
Acoustic 134​
Lab Series L5​
Polytone Mini Brute​
Henriksen​

I mentioned a while back that I have a Pearce G1 guitar amp, purchased
late 80's or so. I'd be happy to send it off to Fractal to model if they are interested.
The Pearce is a nice amp, with built-in compressor similar to the L5.

I also just got a Lab Series L5 from a friend. It's in pretty rough shape,
so it's off to my amp tech for a Winter project.

I thought it belonged in discussion too--that's where I posted it originally and a mod moved it here.

My lack of understanding of all the stuff that goes on inside amps and how all the knobs in the III interact with each other is limiting me. I am also not expecting Cliff to model every single amp that pops into people's minds, so I am hoping to "crowdsource" knowledge of, in this case, solid state amps.

If one needs an accurate model this doesn't apply, but for practical purposes: I have been able to get passably close to other clean SS amp tones by employing a well chosen IR along with the Jazz 120. With a SS amp, and the complexities of tube gain and saturation off the board: A substantial difference in overall character accrues just to the speakers. The distinctive voice of the Jazz 120 vanishes if you run it into a 4X12 with any of the iconic rock'n'roll speakers, and while those probably don't not fit the bill: Speakers that have a relatively even response tend to work well: Fanes, Lynchbacks, Redbacks, and some of the 1x15s for guitar can be coaxed into a tonality much in the character of the Lab or Acoustic (depending what cabinets they were paired with). EV12s are worth investigating, too: more focused than the airy chime of the original JC-60s. Speakers with an overt mid resonance (like a V30) I can't recommend, but Creambacks can work for some flavors. As some SS amps have an overdrive channel, or if you need more beef, an FET drive block should be able to provide the appropriate extra thickness. Anyway, IR changes vastly expand the range of what the Jazz 120 can do.

Back
Top Bottom