Soldering Question

Megadebt

Experienced
When soldering a wire to a pot for example, does the wire have to be in complete contact with the pot after the soldering tool has been removed, or is the solder itself good enough to conduct the electricity?

Thanks!

Cave Man

Personally while it may be ok not being fully in contact with the pot the potential for failure is there, I make sure that ive got a solid connection to the pot and flow the solder over the wire and pot.

I can handle the tabs on the pot. It's just soldering directly to the back of the pot I'm a lil leary about. I tried it once with a low power iron and i melted the guts on the pot.

I also have some heat sink clamps to use for the tabs on the pot - if needed.

Oh i think I see what youre saying. How do I know what side the wiper is on at any given time?

Forgive my ignorance.
Turn the shaft until it stops. The wiper will be by the lug in the direction you turned. Turning the shaft 1/2 turn away from the lug will put the wiper on the opposite side.

I always use heat sink clamps on the lugs.

Awesome thank you! I learn something new everyday. The more you know the easier it all gets.

I find this video to be very interesting.

Going to put new pickups in my old Pearl (the drum company) LP Junior Deluxe copy, but I'm cheating and getting a solderless harness. Plus the eyes are going and my hands are starting to shake when doing stuff like soldering.

Jonesyblues YouTube channel has a lot of great soldering vids. Has good closeups to his work as he's soldering and talks through with very good tips

As has been said, If you are having difficulty getting the wire to "stick" to the pot, then give it a minute for the pot to cool down before attempting to solder again, you can very easily fry out the pot if you over heat it.

Back
Top Bottom