Soldano SL-60 - yay or nay?

SockPuppet

Inspired
This amp kind of feels like the son Mike Soldano wish he never had. I've just found one for sale for about 700 $. But there is barely any information about it on the internet that I can find. Anybody got any experience with them? :)

They are a cheap Chinese made Soldano amp designed to appeal to the lower end market. Sort of like a Jet City or Hot Rod 50. $700 is about what it's worth, personally I'd give it a miss, NOT the flag ship Slo 100 tone. There was also cheap a preamp and matching power amp in the same line.

They are a cheap Chinese made Soldano amp designed to appeal to the lower end market. Sort of like a Jet City or Hot Rod 50. $700 is about what it's worth, personally I'd give it a miss, NOT the flag ship Slo 100 tone. There was also cheap a preamp and matching power amp in the same line.

Not entirely true, they are japanese made, with quality transformers and parts, though clearly not as high quality as the "real" US made Soldanos.
I own and have owned quite a few Soldanos, and currently have a SLO, a X99 and a SLS-105 poweramp. The SLS 105 (to me anyway) sounded clearly better than the Mesa's and Marshalls I've had and on par with the VHT. Just IMHO of cause and YMMV.

Having said that I'd personally pass on the SL-60 and the SLO in the Axe sounds spot on IMHO.

They are a cheap Chinese made Soldano amp designed to appeal to the lower end market.

That's kind of what I thought, even though there are some low-end stuff that actually sounds good. But what I've heard other people say about it is that it's kind of mediocre but rare.

Not entirely true, they are japanese made, with quality transformers and parts, though clearly not as high quality as the "real" US made Soldanos.
I own and have owned quite a few Soldanos, and currently have a SLO, a X99 and a SLS-105 poweramp. The SLS 105 (to me anyway) sounded clearly better than the Mesa's and Marshalls I've had and on par with the VHT. Just IMHO of cause and YMMV.

Having said that I'd personally pass on the SL-60 and the SLO in the Axe sounds spot on IMHO.

Yep, the SLO in the Axe sounds amazing! I actually own a Decatone 100W head that I'm using with the axe. I'm probably going to give the SL-60 a test run, at least I will hear what it sounds like :)

Just tried it today by the way! To be honest, it wasn't that bad actually. Definitely no where near as good as the SLO or its younger brother Hot Rod, but it still had that Soldano character. I ended up not buying it though. Just couldn't feel the mojo.

I owned both at the same time. I really liked the SL60 to be honest. It sounded better to me than every hotrod i heard. My SLO is a much better amp by far (and much more expensive) so there was no need to have both. I can tell you this the SL60's are very hard to sell without giving it away. In short, they get a bad rap for being an import, but are very good amps.

Back
Top Bottom