Sold on 1024 IRs now

JoshuaLogan said:
it doesn't sound drastically different to me. if anything, it might just be the sound of the orange IR

It is not going to be drastic, it will sound like the same cab but with a bit more clarity (for lack of a better word). Yes a big part of it is the different cab. As I said, I A/B them w/ 512 cabs and found them to make a noticable difference. I already load the cabs I like into the axe-fx and I don't have the time nor the inclination to go thru loading them again. Guitardojo asked for a clip of it, it was for him.

The best you thing you can do is try it for yourself. I am just relating my experience, nothing more.

JoshuaLogan said:
it doesn't sound drastically different to me. if anything, it might just be the sound of the orange IR

It sounded different enough to make a difference on my ultra. YMMV.

Mik.

JoshuaLogan said:
You need to try it yourself before you pass judgement. The difference is subtle, but the remaining pieces of the puzzle to completely simulate the sound of an amp through a guitar cab are indeed subtle, and to me they are worth pursuing. You may decide that a subtle item like this is not worth the resources it costs, but you can't know that without trying it.

Jay Mitchell said:
JoshuaLogan said:
You need to try it yourself before you pass judgement. The difference is subtle, but the remaining pieces of the puzzle to completely simulate the sound of an amp through a guitar cab are indeed subtle, and to me they are worth pursuing. You may decide that a subtle item like this is not worth the resources it costs, but you can't know that without trying it.

Exactly.

javajunkie said:
GuitarDojo said:
javajunkie said:
Ok, I've been back n forth on the whole 1024 sample IR thing. Is worth the hastle? So I decided to convert some impulses and A/B them. With AlbertA's updated utility, it is so simple and sounds fantastic. Setting delay2 up for every patches that uses it is inconvenient but well worth it and you can just copy the setting after you do the first one. This coupled w/ the new warmth parameter really has added some depth to my tones.

Post some sounds. Like to hear the diff.

He you go:

1st 1/2 stock cab 25w, 2nd half 1024 orange cab w/sm57 (I added the R121 mic on it as well - I like what it did to the tone). Quick progression, then single notes on each.

http://www.javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/25wthenorange.mp3
If I'm understanding this properly, this is one of Cliff's cabs against the 1024 Orange, right? I don't know if that really makes for a valid comparison of IR techniques. Did I misunderstand the setup?

scarr said:
Did I misunderstand the setup?

No, you did not

Again, it doesn't make a valid comparison, I said that in a previous post. I never intended it to be a direct A/B. I have things the way I like them and am going to keep them that way. That means all my user cabs are 1024 now. There is nothing to direct A/B anymore.
In my first post I said I A/B'd the 512 w/ 1024 and really liked the result. guitardojo asked for a clip comparing the two. I said I already loaded my user slots w/ 1024 but I did have a patch that used to use the marshall 25w that I now use the orange 1024 cab w/. It was for guitardojo's consumption and not intended as anything other than that. My OP was just stating my experience nothing more.

finstah said:
javajunkie said:
finstah said:
definitely enhanced your tone.

Not sure if I recall something in the old forum on this, but is there a step by step how-to to implement this?

look at the top of this forum :D

Man I need to eat more blueberries to boost the brain. Ha ha

Thanks Java

Where did you get that Orange cab sim? I've been using the Cali cab on one side and Clawfinger's hotties on the other but would LOVE to get a hold of the Orange sim.

I don't remember. It was in a folder w/ about 200 other IRs I have accumulated.

finstah said:
if you ever find it please share. :D

You should look here ===> viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22

I digged them out from "Non-fal_impulses" folder on the clawfinger site. Then you have to get the conversion utility AlbertA created, convert these small wav files to 48kHz and send them to your AFX.

That's what I did anyway,

Mik.

mik said:
finstah said:
if you ever find it please share. :D

You should look here ===> http://fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22

I digged them out from "Non-fal_impulses" folder on the clawfinger site. Then you have to get the conversion utility AlbertA created, convert these small wav files to 48kHz and send them to your AFX.

That's what I did anyway,

Mik.

I'm already using the EAW480 one's. I thought he converted them already in his updated IR's?

mik said:
Just tried 1024 IR cabs, yet again ....

HOLY SH!T BATMAN (repeat again and again). :shock: :shock: :shock:

It did take some trial and error to find a suiatable cab that paired ok with my existing amp settings (I am a lazy bastard, can you tell ?) but what an awesome result !!! Love it. Scanned through Clawfinger's orange cab IR's wav files and one of them just clicked.

Yes I am sold too. Now I just have to test it out at the practice and the gig and see how they translate live.

v6.0 - 1024 cabs ... anybody ? I would love that option.

Mik.

Mik, pardon my ignorance, I'm trying to figure this 1024 thing out, but for using Albert's utility, did you choose a single wav file from the list of orange files which albert's utility then spliced into 2 sysex halves?

Also, if I wanted to take a IR like clawfinger's marshall ew480, which I really like, would i pass that single sysex in to split into the halves? I guess I'm wondering at what point is the wav or sysex at a high enough "resolution"(not sure if that's the word) to split into halves for use as 1024?

This is a fascinating subject which I'm trying to grasp, I appreciate all the info so far and the technique given by Jay was well as the template put up by java. Thanks everyone.

mattc41 said:
mik said:

It did take some trial and error to find a suiatable cab that paired ok with my existing amp settings (I am a lazy bastard, can you tell ?) but what an awesome result !!! Love it. Scanned through Clawfinger's orange cab IR's wav files and one of them just clicked.

Yes I am sold too. Now I just have to test it out at the practice and the gig and see how they translate live.

Mik.

Mik, pardon my ignorance, I'm trying to figure this 1024 thing out, but for using Albert's utility, did you choose a single wav file from the list of orange files which albert's utility then spliced into 2 sysex halves?

Also, if I wanted to take a IR like clawfinger's marshall ew480, which I really like, would i pass that single sysex in to split into the halves? I guess I'm wondering at what point is the wav or sysex at a high enough "resolution"(not sure if that's the word) to split into halves for use as 1024?

This is a fascinating subject which I'm trying to grasp, I appreciate all the info so far and the technique given by Jay was well as the template put up by java. Thanks everyone.

They have to be wav/aiff files. The time plot will show you if there's enough samples to even be worth splitting into 2.
Also you can compare the frequency response between both. For example select 1 piece and do a "refresh plots", then select 2 pieces, go to the frequency response tab and then press refresh plots. You should see the difference there, look at the low frequency response, it should be more "defined". If it doesn't really change, then its probably not worth it.

AlbertA said:
mattc41 said:
mik said:

Mik.

They have to be wav/aiff files. The time plot will show you if there's enough samples to even be worth splitting into 2.
Also you can compare the frequency response between both. For example select 1 piece and do a "refresh plots", then select 2 pieces, go to the frequency response tab and then press refresh plots. You should see the difference there, look at the low frequency response, it should be more "defined". If it doesn't really change, then its probably not worth it.

Thanks Albert, that's perfect. I'm going to explore this tonight, I really appreciate the detailed response, that makes a lot of sense!

AlbertA said:

Thanks Albert, great info

Hey Java, I downloaded your 1024 template and noticed a few things. I don't think the amp was panned hard left, delay hard right, cabs panned center as described by Jay in his post. Was this intentional? Doesn't seem like it would work right without the panning (delayed signal only goes to Cab IR Right).

Thanks,
Ben

benjam said:
Hey Java, I downloaded your 1024 template and noticed a few things. I don't think the amp was panned hard left, delay hard right, cabs panned center as described by Jay in his post. Was this intentional? Doesn't seem like it would work right without the panning (delayed signal only goes to Cab IR Right).

Thanks,
Ben

It was on my patch. Some how that did get saved right when it transferred over to axechange via the editor. I'll upload it manually instead of thru the editor.

Back
Top Bottom