1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Sold my Friedman BE100

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lessthanone, Apr 12, 2014.

1. lessthanone

lessthanone
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Well, it was one of the best amps I've ever owned at doing the higher gain 80's tones and had a nice clean but lacked a little in the modern dept. Really cool guy from boston made me a great offer on the head and a charvel I had so I took it. Now Im on the fence and thinking either going Fractal again:encouragement: or perhaps trying a Suhr pt100. Pete happens to be one of my favorite current guitarist and I love everything he does. You only see glowing reviews of the pt100.

2. Fabio KTG

Fabio KTG
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

It won't be long before Cliff gets his hands on one and MIMIC's it.

R.D. likes this.
  3. #3 lessthanone, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    lessthanone

lessthanone
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

he already has a friedman and the axe fx lol. Its the reason I ended buying the real amp:D That amp is definitely the king of 80's metal and hot rod marshall tone. Realistically the axe fx was a better setup for me though. Im REALLY going to think this one out before I decide to drop cash on the Suhr PT100 or Axe FX xl though. Im SICK SICK SICK of buying and flipping lol.
    Heres a clip I had done with it when I had my axe fx

4. Fabio KTG

Fabio KTG
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I'll tell you what, mate: I love the bottom end "boing" in your clip. Sounds just like a real amp to me. Get an XL and put in the time to learn how to use it properly. It will evolve with your playing and tastes and has far more flexibility's than a real amp. I'm debating on selling my Mk 1 and getting an XL, but I doubt that I'd need all the new features. I do like the FASLINK idea though.

pima1234 likes this.
  5. RalphNYC

RalphNYC
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

What Charvel was it? An early 80s strathead??

6. musicdr

musicdr
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

My last tube amp was a pt100. I sold it to get a standard back in 2009. Great amp but I would find it very limiting now. There is just so much ground that the axe 2 covers I don't think I could be happy with just that anymore. It was the most noise free high gain heads I ever had. I rarely used a gate on it.

7. Shredology

Shredology
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I had a Suhr OD-100 SE+. I loved it but it was crazy loud. I think John Suhr is some kind of alien. Everything he makes is wonderful. However, I feel I get essentially the same tones from the AXE with a universe of pluses no amp will ever be able to give me.

8. lessthanone

lessthanone
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Im beginning to think selling the BE100 was a mistake... Bought a Bogner Ecstasy and Im not sure I like it at this point. Was trying to but it just has a weird kind of blanketed tone. Sounds good, but weird

9. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

People think Bogners are dark but they really aren't. The reason they seem that way is the pot tapers. Most people assume knobs should be set somewhere around noon. If you do this on a Bogner it's like turning the treble way down on a Marshall. Close your eyes and adjust the tone controls with your ears. Don't be afraid to turn them way up or way down.

10. Melten

Melten
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Do you know why they're like this? Is seems weird to me that this would be the intended behaviour (not doubting you, just trying to understand). The Diezels seem to have this same kind of taper as well, and sound very dark through a lot of the range.

11. stm113

stm113
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Does this same taper on the controls apply to the models in the Axe as well?

12. lessthanone

lessthanone
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Yea, I tried some forum bro's recommended settings today while juicing it up. Still didn't like what I was hearing. They're definitely interesting sounding "swiss army knife" amps but not for me. Some people also recommended doing some of the common mods on it but Im not a fan of modding,especially on a brand new $3500+ amp lol. Went back, just deciding if I am going to wait for the axe units to be back in stock or just order another Friedman

13. Kriig

Kriig
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I like the Bogners. Blue Modern is a killer sound.
    Thinking of buying a real one. I'm trying one tomorrow. Just to have a great amp in house.

14. BBN

BBN
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

You bought your Friedman back, huh?