Sold it all and taking the plunge

MNPlayer

I am awaiting payment for one last vintage Boss chorus pedal. When it is packed and sent, I will officially have sold it all to take the Axe FX plunge.

I sold a Marshall JVM 410 H head and matching 1960 Lead cabinet, a nice Genz Benz acoustic amp and all of my pedals and pedal board.

Now, I'm just waiting for the invitation e-mail for my Axe FX II XL. It's been a while since I've been this excited about a gear purchase.

Congrats
thumbsup.gif

The MFC 101 is on my wish list, along with a pair of powered monitors. Unit first, wallet recovery, monitors, wallet recovery, MFC 101 - big grins!

WOW! You did have a lot of very nice equipment. But I think you will be pleased with your decision...just remember...there is a learning curve! But with the help you can get here, it will not be anytime until you are jamming to your own sounds!

I have had my axe fx II for a couple of years and just now have gotten in a MFC 101...nothing wrong at all with getting each piece as you can afford it...matter of fact...I think it is the smart thing to do!

The MFC is awesome but I would recommend getting a 2nd hand FCB1010 or the like, on the cheap while you are in wallet recovery mode, as without a midi controller, your ability to control while playing will be severely limited IMO, and judging by your post, you will be without the MFC for a while.

Congrats man!

Read up on Cliff's Notes section, the manual, and wiki while you're waiting to help curb the curve.

Then give yourself time with the machine and you won't miss any of your old gear.

Oh, and +1 to what Severed said. Look at used POD HD500's too, since they have a built in expression pedal. I use it with my AFXII without any problems.

I did the exact same thing and have never been happier about a gear purchase.
Now you've got limitless tone options and your back will never stop thanking you...

Welcome to the club (in advance). Take some time to familiarise yourself with the AxeFX when you get it and you will be a happy chappy.

It's not that I couldn't grab the MFC now, it's just that I have some home improvement projects that are at the front of the line at the moment (along with a family vacation). The vacation and home projects are what will necessitate wallet recovery more than the unit itself. Had it not been for ebay and paypal fees gobbling up so much from the sale of my gear (ouch!), I could have bought the unit and had money left over. As it is, I'll be a few hundred short of buying the unit after the sale of everything else.

So, I suppose I should have written: Axe Fx XL, basement family room remodel and vacation, wallet recovery, monitors and MFC - big grins!

I'm somewhat looking forward to the learning curve. I'm guessing I'll be a regular here with questions once the unit arrives and I begin digging into it.

Welcome to the brave new world. You may have sold some gear but you gained way more than you lost. My FX is the best piece of gear I ever bought. Other gear just gets older. Fractal gets better.

Its the best piece of gear I ever bought! In 35 years of searching for tone I cant imagine anything else! Plus the effects are way better than all the Eventide's I have ever owned. I kept it simple at first with mine and experiment now. There are some very helpful and knowledgeable people right here.

Congratulations man, good move! :)

Just some advice, be patient with it! I kid you not, the first month I had my AxeFX II I regretted it and thought I made a huge mistake. Everything I did just sounded bad, and there were so many parameters... but after that month I start creating tones that sounded really good, and getting to know the unit and how it works is all part of it, so when yours arrives don't freak out if you can't get it to sound amazing right away. Take your time, and the payoff will be WELL worth it. :)

Wow you sold some really awesome gear. Way to commit. I'll caution you. You may be a little disillusioned at first. With each FW update the Axe-FX sound better out of the box and you'll immediately notice a wide range of tones, but for your axe/playing/song etc. some patches can sound like crap. It took me a long time to dial in patches that I like and I still don't think I'm there. Several years ago I sold a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and Marshall 1960B straight cab for a Line 6 Vetta and it was the worst decision I've ever made. To this day I miss that amp but I think I'm now getting better results, especially since I work in the room right below my son's after he's gone to sleep which would be impossible with the big tube amp.

Do you mean studio reference monitors? If you mean monitors for playing live you can get by with one to start; probably always. Definitely you'll want two nice CC pedals. I have one for volume and one for wah in almost every patch but of course you can do all kinds of other amazing things with them.

Welcome to the club. I hope you find total contentment.

Congrats MN!! Seems more and more are doing the same thing, myself included!!! Tho I didn't sell off any of my gear...yet :) NOW.....where's that email for the XL? Much like you, I haven't been this excited in a long time over new gear, and the waiting is driving me crazy!! Until then, this is what I still have to play with. hope the axe takes care of lugging around the majority of this :)home rig.jpgstudio rig.jpgIMG_3261 (1024x712).jpg

Last edited:
I also have a JVM 410H with a 1960 cab. Don't have the heart to get rid of it.
Even though I haven't turned it on since getting my Axe in October.

I will add to that...congrats for taking the plunge!!! You can also look at it this way, the axe may take some time to learn and to wield its full potential, but not only will you come to terms with great tone, you will learn so much about the ways in which you would naturally go about tone in the analog world. Its just a win win all over the place:encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom