Sold a guitar, it arrived damaged

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
So I sold an basically new EVH and the buyer contacted me to say it arrived damaged. He said the shipping box didn't appear damaged
but the neck screws have pulled loose and the action is now super high.

Has anyone had to deal with (UPS, FedEx, etc) in regard to filing a claim for a repair?
If so, how did that go?
Thanks

I shipped a guitar back to the factory for warranty work, in the factory shipping box(es), it arrived with the classic headstock break. UPS basically told me to f**k off, since the box wasn't crushed. Happily, the factory was pretty righteous about it, cost me a little for them to fix it, but not too bad.

Good luck :)

I'm sorry, not wanting to start a rabbit trail, but the neck screws pulled loose? Seriously doubt it happened during shipping, if it 'happened' at all. I have bought and sold over 30 guitars online, most of them bolt-on necks, during all times of the year (Inland NW) and not once has this occurred, buying or selling. I would ask for photos and a statement from the buyer, then contact a few luthiers and stores to find out if they've experienced it or if this is really even possible.

I've read horror stories of boxes falling off of 3-storey high conveyor belts inside UPS facilities...

Imagine a guitar in a case inside a box falling from 20-30 feet in the air.

If it landed flat (or even mostly flat) I could imagine little to no apparent damage externally, but that kind of force could easily cause serious damage to the guitar inside.

Good luck with your claim. I hope it gets resolved quickly.

A 30ft drop should leave an imprint on the cardboard inside the box.

That sounds awfully suspicious. Neck screws dont just come loose. If the box wasnt tampered with, my BS alarm is at full volume.

A 30ft drop should leave an imprint on the cardboard inside the box.
Probably true... But when someone looks for "damage to the box" they aren't looking at it like a forensic scientist ;)

They're going to look for holes or crush marks, etc.

Yeah I should have voiced the same skepticism as others about the claim, instead of concentrating on the shipper situation.

I've never heard of neck screws ripping out like that. You'd think the wood would splinter long before all 4 screws pulled out. And how is the result of that high action, not a detached and majorly trashed neck and/or body?

I'd tell them to just ship it back, but they'd probably bust it up to cover their tracks.

As @warlockII said, this is why selling online scares me. I don't really want people coming here either, which is why I haven't sold most of the gear I should have sold.

You can’t actually win a claim against a buyer on practically any platform, so I’d offer a shipping-comped return or ask them to present a written repair bill from a professional that you can consider covering.

I would have no fear shipping guitars double-boxed, in a hard case with head, neck, and horns cushioned in the case.

Shipping in a factory cardboard box is tricky. Not much padding. Especially a high value guitar (over $900), I wouldn't do it without insurance. USPS has a 70 lb limit, so not many large packages bouncing around. UPS and FedEx also do freight and super-heavy items so you can run into a big one sometimes (>150lb), though they are processed manually, not on Rapistans or conveyors.

Claims aren't usually a big hassle, but they will likely want pics and the recipient may have to take it to a local site for inspection, depending on value and circumstances. There usually MUST be some outer box damage, or they will get suspicious.

Loose screws as is being described is odd. Unless the neck got "clotheslined" by a heavier load with the body still braced and that somehow stripped the screws?

I would agree that the neck would likely break before the screws got yanked even a little, but I suppose it depends on angles and velocity.

It may have just taken a spill and had the fall broken in a weird manner, near the headstock. The leverage necessary though.....hmmm....

I just got some pictures. It looks like the 2 screws at the edge of the body have slightly pulled out about 3/16 of an inch.
Thanks for your replies so far.
I have shipped at least 10 guitars before and never had any issues.

I just got some pictures. It looks like the 2 screws at the edge of the body have slightly pulled out about 3/16 of an inch.

Would you mind posting a pic.? Trying to picture what screws would be close to the edge of the body.

Back
Top Bottom