Sold a guitar, it arrived damaged

I just got some pictures. It looks like the 2 screws at the edge of the body have slightly pulled out about 3/16 of an inch.
Thanks for your replies so far.
I have shipped at least 10 guitars before and never had any issues.
Regardless of source, it’s there. You won’t have much luck with shippers, even insured, because they get so many fraudulent claims that they act as if all claims are fraudulent... right or wrong, if the package was accepted by the buyer, they’re done with you.

On the plus side, fixing screw holes in wood is a breeze and shouldn’t represent a large repair bill. Best to bite the bullet and get it done. Whether as a business or individual, sometimes you lose money on a sale. Reputation and integrity has always been worth more to me than profit margin, so if it isn’t clearly buyer damage, I stand good for it.

Not for neck screws. ;)

For neck screws, if it was a maple neck, I would make or buy some maple dowels or use some other hardwood, glue them in and then use a drill to make a starter hole, slightly smaller than the diameter of the screw. Won't go anywhere.

The other option, which I've used on my Strat project (which I posted on the forum) is to use wood epoxy. I installed a 2-point trem but the holes we're slightly off. I filled the holes with wood epoxy, then I bought a template and jig to hold the drill vertical. I re-drilled the holes, hammered the anchors in and that bridge is not going anywhere. Just as much tension on the trem. as there is on a neck.

Reactions: ESW
Some random internet buyer isn't going to fix this themselves of course, even if some of you here are quite capable. They should either ship it back to you, so you can fix it or get it fixed yourself, or they should get a quote from a mutually agreed on repair person local to them, and you pay for it.

Some random internet buyer isn't going to fix this themselves of course, even if some of you here are quite capable. They should either ship it back to you, so you can fix it or get it fixed yourself, or they should get a quote from a mutually agreed on repair person local to them, and you pay for it.

True, but my point is, it's an easy fix if the buyer takes it to someone to have it fixed, as you suggested. It should not cost a lot and the seller can cover the cost or come to some agreement. Much better than having it shipped back and risk it being damaged again, then the seller is left with scrap lumber or having to deal with the courier. If the headstock had snapped off or something more serious, that would be a different story.

I've been wondering why shipping damage should exclusively be the seller's responsibility. The original transaction is ostensibly to the benefit of both parties.

Or maybe the moral is to insure the package, so it's neither person's problem, but that could well end up a mess too.

For neck screws, if it was a maple neck, I would make or buy some maple dowels or use some other hardwood, glue them in and then use a drill to make a starter hole, slightly smaller than the diameter of the screw. Won't go anywhere.
That's the right fix. Drill and dowel.

So... none of this is good but...

Fedex and UPS don't have insurance they have 'declared value'

Which is- pay us to tell us what it's worth and we'll think about it later

Fedex and UPS always decline a claim, and then it's a fight to just appeal appeal appeal
and if you're lucky in 4 months and 3-4 appeals you'll get HALF on a good day of what the repair was

Given it's a guitar- they'll probably 100% disclaim and say 'you didn't pack it right- if you did it wouldn't have got damaged'

If the guitar was a decent enough price and the customer is happy with a repair- which I wouldn't be because that could make the guitar worth half- pay it out of pocket immediately. Then deal with Fedex/UPS- but don't expect anything. And if you could throw back the cheap repair money at the customer and solve the problem- it's the best you can do here.

UPS denied two claims where the package was insured. If there’s no obvious damage to the outside and the buyer accepts the package the claim will be denied. For that reason I’d never ship a glue in neck like a Les Paul. I have half a dozen guitars I’d have sold long ago if I trusted shippers. I’ve seen and heard stories of UPS employees dropping packages 3 feet from out of the truck onto the ground. It could be a $2000 guitar or a $1000 TV they don’t care. The word fragile is almost a challenge.

UPS denied two claims where the package was insured. If there’s no obvious damage to the outside and the buyer accepts the package the claim will be denied. For that reason I’d never ship a glue in neck like a Les Paul. I have half a dozen guitars I’d have sold long ago if I trusted shippers. I’ve seen and heard stories of UPS employees dropping packages 3 feet from out of the truck onto the ground. It could be a $2000 guitar or a $1000 TV they don’t care. The word fragile is almost a challenge.

USPS has a way to document damage at delivery- so they can do delivery confirmation while notating it was left damaged...

DHL, FEDEX, and UPS- shockingly do not

Back
Top Bottom