Software to convert standard notation to tab?

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I am not really impressed with Tux Guitar, so I am looking for an alternative.

I would like to be able to transcribe piano notation to guitar tab and bass tab.

The problem is some piano notation is voiced too low or high for Tux Guitar to transcribe. I end up with a blank tab staff or frets higher than 24.

So what other software do you recommend?

Can you be more specific? What format is the piano notation? How much of the work do you want the program to do automatically?

Most of the standard notation is in old score books. I don't mind rekeying the standard notation.

The issue I have with tux guitar is, unless the notation is in a specific staff range , it doesn't automatically give me a tab notation. Keying in both sets of notation is a bit of a pain.

I'm not sure anything can deal with that automatically note by note. Does TG allow transposing a series of notes by octave and having the tab appear when in range? Deciding how much of a phrase to shift probably makes more sense than the program moving only out-of-range notes.

I'm not sure anything can deal with that automatically note by note. Does TG allow transposing a series of notes by octave and having the tab appear when in range? Deciding how much of a phrase to shift probably makes more sense than the program moving only out-of-range notes.
TG actually doesn’t let me do that. I literally have to transpose the notation down or up an octave as needed to get the tab to generate. It's a pain.

I use Sibelius. It's hi-powered software, that can do a million times more than notation-to-TAB (and is pretty expensive) but it certainly does what you're looking for, and then some.

Yes. For my students, I use Sibelius. A little expensive for what you need though. I generally write everything out in standard notation. When my students don't read I convert it to tab.

Of course, there is also Guitar Pro, but I'm not sure it will do what you want ... worth checking out if you are not familiar with it ...

Back
Top Bottom