Social media

Did you get rid of or never have social media? (Fb and/or IG)

• Don’t have it

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Have it but feel I manage it well.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Considering getting rid of it

Votes: 17 19.3%

• Total voters
100% got rid of Facebook.
Dont miss it AT ALL.

A couple time I have had to reactivate the account, to sign up for a show or something-
Within the first "refresh" after typing in password I am immediately nauseous.

I use IG but its just as bad.
Well not just as bad, since its more anonymous, but its still not great.

I deactivate it every once in awhile and suddenly, start accomplishing things.

Has Facebook, I don't have any problem with it, and it does not cause any negative issues in my life or with my mental well-being.
Deactivate it, and see what you think.

Youre addicted whether you know it or not.

Thats what they designed it to do.

Theres a reason in Silicon Valley they say "Not F*cked on Facebook."

Or why none of them use it, and wont allow their kids on it.

Best thing I ever did Bruce.
It was probably 8 or 10 year ago, and I was browsing through all the reposted bits of wisdom, and pictures of peoples lunch etc on FaceBook, when a guy that irks me (but was somehow one of my 'friends') had posted a bunch of pictures of his coffee.... It was that moment I thought 'what the fuck am I wasting my time on this for??', and I cancelled my account.... Now... when we go to restaurants etc, I'm the one without my phone in my hand, and I get to see and interact with those around me. Kills me to see a table with (say) 4 people on it, all scrolling on their phones. I guess eventually, the art of conversation will be lost!

Anyway - give it a go - You might miss some of it initially, but it's like when your TV breaks down. All of a sudden, you start doing stuff!!
Keep us posted.

Thanks
Pauly
I am standing in an aseptic clean room, all gowned up, LOLing at this post.

I read once that phones are some of the filthiest items we possess. Are they actually okay in a clean room? Maybe you have to disinfect yours to bring it in.
There is a dedicated clean room smartphone, usually in a bag. Rarely leaves. It is Spored in, and IPA wiped through numerous Material transfers. Allegedly there are 0 particles containing anything to contaminate in this area. By alleged I mean I run the MET machines that say there are 0 particles. It is a grade A space.

I sign-up for FB a long time ago, over 15 years at least. I only did that to reconnect with a friend and singer from a band I started in the '90s. Now, we'll talk over email or phone, but never FB.

Otherwise, I'm not using FB - never look at it unless someone I know DMs me.

When I have looked at FB, I feel about it like I do about smoking. Glad I never started, because it would be bad for my health and I'd have a hard time quitting.

I use Facebook only for the dating feature. I have like 3 friends on there. I do use Messenger as a chat app though.

I have an Instagram account, only because it forces you to if you want to use it all. I have 1 "friend" on there and no uploads.

So even though I have both, I don't use them as Meta would hope for.

I think it is toxic, poisonous. It is spilling over IRL with the way people drive and rudeness. The pandemic and lockdowns didn't help either. The only use I have for Twitter is following other web developers and staying current with technology and finding cool tools for that. I follow some guitar and some spiritual people. I never engage there or on the long Facebook argument threads you see. I check in rarely to see about high school and college friends. My news feed on FB looks like a scrolling MySpace of bad memes. I follow some guitar people, and a few groups. The guitar group is pretty ok, it is just basically a NGD look at this beauty type of thing. I stopped watching news and checking headlines every day. I've gone weeks without looking at it, just hear from other people. Those things are out of my control. I just try to be a better person and helpful and kind to others IRL.

I'm busy and I work my butt off. I spend more time with my labrador, Jax, than people. Keep it simple.

I have Facebook but unfollow everyone, I just use it for groups about my hobbies - basically the same deal as this forum.

I understand why people don't like social media in general though, I find looking at news stories on social media depressing. Never do I feel more out of step with people as when I see how people use news stories to vent their hate and worldview and how cemented people become in their views when they find like minded people. In that sense, I think you could argue social media is radicalising people and dismantling society, making it harder for us to all find common ground, rather than bringing us together.

Mainly use facebook messenger for family groups - trying to get them migrated to Signal.

Twitter - I don't tweet, I use it more as a sort of RSS feed - so who you subscribe to will dictate how good/bad your feed is - I also disable the "algo" by just configuring the feed to display the latest posts. I mostly follow tech/engineering stuff, sciency stuff. Ocasionally I'll see what's trending.

I don't post on Instagram, but just follow some guitar stuff, manufacturers, musicians - I don't use this often - once in a while I see a Fractal Audio post here and there, or ernbie ball guitars, etc.

I don't use tiktok, snapchat - or any of the other things younger folk use these days.
Youtube shorts - as if attention span wasn't bad enough already - I occasionally will watch some of these.

all of the above. don't get me started on the snakes-in-the-grass social media moguls and 'influencers.' who are they influencing anyway? who's more influential? the fools or the influenced that follow? and, social media is only part of the nonsense. the so-called media, driven by popularity (ratings), greed ($$$), advertising tactics that make the used car sales force seem honest and ethical. etc. is the same brainwashing. ive even been keeping 'location' turned off so that prevents me gaining access to most online destinations anyway. some things you can't help or avoid. for example, i'll confess i still have a fb account but it's only to communicate with friends in other countries and family that don't live near. meanwhile, when i'm feeling adventurous i'll catch up on the hundreds of 'terms and conditions' contracts i'm forced to read, consider and choose, or not, just to window shop online for anything. and continue entering my contact information a zillion more times along with security credentials that are required for access, required to be as complex as possible, required to change all the time and most of the time because i can't rememnber the cryptic gibberish i chose last time for a password. is it just me or does anybody else have that 1 place/site/destination at least that you can never remember your pw for and end up having to request a pw change every time? i'm always trying to reduce my online/social media time, daily. my primary reasons for internet service at all is friends and family, the ease of access to hear and share music from around the world, the wealth of music information available and my fm3. now i'm rambling. i digress. you started it! :D

i wonder how much time, in hours, will a person born today spend entering/typing contact information and login credentials in their lifetime?

hold my social media calls. i'll be under the headphones. knock hard!

Back
Top Bottom