Soccer WC

The game sucks, both goals for France weren't right imho. But Croatia will return!

I really disagree. Best final ever and a well desurved win.
I do not understand what you mean about " not right "
1st was an own goal, 2nd a clear penalty ( handball), 3rd and 4th just brilliant goals.

IMO the best team won and croatia was lucky 3 times before even getting to the finals.
But it is ok to disagree ;)

Congratulations France. World Cup champions.

Alas, I’m 49 years old and I fear I’ll never see England win the World Cup in my life time. Still, we’ve always got 1966. :)

Reactions: Ole
Congrats France!

Although outside of an own goal, and a video decree'd hand ball penalty, Croatia seemed like the better team for most of the game. Score doesn't really reflect the actual game.

Regardless, a great team wins even when they don't play their best...and France won.

Ron

I really disagree. Best final ever and a well desurved win.
I do not understand what you mean about " not right "
1st was an own goal, 2nd a clear penalty ( handball), 3rd and 4th just brilliant goals.

IMO the best team won and croatia was lucky 3 times before even getting to the finals.
But it is ok to disagree ;)
1st goal came from a freekick which awarded for a Griezmann dive. In that same kick Pogba looked offside and was interfering with Mandzukic who scored the own goal. Why no VAR there?
Most professional observers agree that the VAR penalty call was a joke of a decision. No way that Perisic inetentionally played the ball. It was ball to hand no other way around. Perisic had no time to intentionally react to the ball being 30cm behind the French player who missed it and was up in the air coming down, his arms in a natural position for that action.
re Croatia being lucky in ET for 3 games - always need some luck but they were not outplayed for any of those games. You could more rightly say they were unlucky not to finish them in regulation time.
Maybe France are a better team overall & would win more times than not when playing Croatia, but Croatia were in the ascendancy in this game and France were gifted 2 goals by the officials against the run of play. Who knows what would have happened if these gifts weren't given - maybe France would have still won - but we didn't get a chance to see due to the officials.

In open play up until that match turning point Croatia looked the far better team.

Still everyone is allowed their own opinion & in the end it's the name engraved on the cup which is remembered by history. Unfortunate end to a great world cup.

Oh & what about the gentlemen on the podium not giving the Croatian female president an umbrella while first Putin & then Macron got one? I thought Putin was a tough SOB nut maybe he's allergic to rain.

In all honesty : these are just a few opinions. Sure, there were decisions that not everyone would agree too, and the ones that don't like them are the ones you find being the most vocal. But they're not necessarily the majority.
Why ask me for them when you wouldn't accept them anyway? They seem to be in the vast majority. Go google some opinions you find that suite yourself better then.

Just for you, here's another one from some famous Danish goalkeeper you may have heard of (or perhaps not):

Why ask me for them when you wouldn't accept them anyway? They seem to be in the vast majority. Go google some opinions you find that suite yourself better then.

Sorry, I was asking for evidence that shows that the majority of experts agree.

Sorry, I was asking for evidence that shows that the majority of experts agree.
It seems pretty obvious based on a random google search...
Sorry, but I haven't got the inclination to scour the net for every experts opinion nor to start a poll. You can go for your life though.
You've made up your mind, you're welcome to it.

They won 4 to 2 not 1 to zero. Jeez...
Are you new to the game? If not, you should understand that the game is not based on isolated incidents that are totally independent of each other. See Schmeichel's thoughts on the matter in the video posted above.

That's without even taking into consideration the first France goal which resulted from a dive, the subsequent free kick & an offside that could be given for interfering in play. If you think this game/result was not affected by these decisions then I really have nothing left to say. Enjoy.

Are you new to the game? If not, you should understand that the game is not based on isolated incidents that are totally independent of each other. See Schmeichel's thoughts on the matter in the video posted above.

That's without even taking into consideration the first France goal which resulted from a dive, the subsequent free kick & an offside that could be given for interfering in play. If you think this game/result was not affected by these decisions then I really have nothing left to say. Enjoy.

Maybe instead of asking google you should try to read some of the top pro reffs take on this.
First goal was not a dive, second was a clear penalty, and the croatian 2nd... well...

They were by far the worst team on the field allthough they gave france a good match.

France won the 3 prefinals clear and square, croatia got VERY lucky in all 3 and in at least 2 of them they were outplayed. (DK and UK)
If you cannot see this, then you must be croatian, and that is ok :)

Ha! Okay, from “RT”, Russia’s propaganda arm that has been engaged in a new Cold War against the West for years and were even caught meddling in the most recent French elections. “The People’s Champions”? More propaganda. Just bonkers and you are swallowing it up.

France won fairly and in accordance with the rules. I don’t think the players of the Croatian team, the guys out there sweating on the field and giving it their all in contest the means everything to them, would appreciate people circulating fantastical and emotionally driven stories that they needed luck to have gone even more in their favor (once again) to have won against the 2018 world’s best team as proven in a high-pressure situation.
Croatia came in 2nd place! That’s pretty damn spectacular considering that they just faced off against: “The Entire Fucking World”! They are national heroes, at least for a little while. Why sully their achievement. Holy shit! 2nd place against the world!

P.S. it’s a sports match with grown men kicking a ball round.

^^^^
In reply to Ole:

Don't agree with most of this but that's OK, haven't got the inclination to refute all your points, doesn't matter much. Football is a very subjective thing and everyone seems to see the same game or individual players differently ("He's great", "No, he's rubbish").

Don't know any top refs personally so I can't ask them (I assume this is what you have done, :) ) If the top ref you're referring to is Graham Poll, well he's given 3 yellow cards to one player in a match so...

Anyway, France have got their name on the cup so congratulations to them. They are formidable champions and with a fairly young team should only get better. Hopefully for the neutral they will start to play a more expansive brand of football which, with their personnel, they are more than capable of.

BTW, loved the Danish team of the 1986 WC - great jerseys too - which I managed to get a hold of for my brother back in Australia when I was spending time in Aarhus, Sonderborg, Holstebro & of course Kobenhavn.

Reactions: Ole
Ha! etc.
P.S. it’s a sports match with grown men kicking a ball round.
You're drawing a long bow there fella! Not sullying the Croat's reputations, was just reporting that France received considerable help from the ref in this game, which many professional players & refs expressed and which I agree with. As stated earlier, I am not even claiming that the final result would go the other way if those IMO, very questionable, calls didn't go the other way. We'll never know though because those calls did happen & apart from the actual goals put on the scoresheet, they also affect the way the game is subsequently played, which can change everything.

Croatia did brilliantly & they will be feted as heroes and rightly so, regardless of our insignificant discussions about football on a music gear site.

And yes, "it’s a sports match with grown men kicking a ball round" but what a wonderful game it is because it reflects life, with it's twists and turns, chances missed, luck both good & bad etc. And like life, it is not always fair...

Have a good one.

^^^^
In reply to Ole:

Don't agree with most of this but that's OK, haven't got the inclination to refute all your points, doesn't matter much. Football is a very subjective thing and everyone seems to see the same game or individual players differently ("He's great", "No, he's rubbish").

Don't know any top refs personally so I can't ask them (I assume this is what you have done, :) ) If the top ref you're referring to is Graham Poll, well he's given 3 yellow cards to one player in a match so...

Anyway, France have got their name on the cup so congratulations to them. They are formidable champions and with a fairly young team should only get better. Hopefully for the neutral they will start to play a more expansive brand of football which, with their personnel, they are more than capable of.

BTW, loved the Danish team of the 1986 WC - great jerseys too - which I managed to get a hold of for my brother back in Australia when I was spending time in Aarhus, Sonderborg, HOLSTEBRO & of course Kobenhavn.

Yea, great...
Just as I was ready to argue, you go and get all nice and have even lived in the same city as me... Pff.... :)

Actually there was an interview with 3 top pro reffs on danish tele and that is what i base my knowledge on :)

At least I think we can agree that it was a good match and most importaintly a very fair played final.

Back
Top Bottom