So you can't have the switches 1+2 and 3+4 do extra?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
What I mean is they can't be 4 additional instant access switches that are different than your other IA's. From the thread I used it seemed as if it only did redundant IA's. Is this correct?

I wanted it to be the 4 main I use all the time. Delay, Boost, Plex Delay and EQ. Then have the FC top 6 be IA's for other things. This can't be done?

What I mean is they can't be 4 additional instant access switches that are different than your other IA's. From the thread I used it seemed as if it only did redundant IA's. Is this correct?

I wanted it to be the 4 main I use all the time. Delay, Boost, Plex Delay and EQ. Then have the FC top 6 be IA's for other things. This can't be done?
You can assign external switches separately if you want to. They don't have to be stand-ins for existing internal switches.

It can absolutely be done. Using the FC-6, the four external switches would need to be configured using switch numbers 7-10.

It can absolutely be done. Using the FC-6, the four external switches would need to be configured using switch numbers 7-10.
But I have a FC12 and I don't have 13, 14, 15, 16 like your FC6 can go to for placement.....literally can't place. Maybe an update Mr. Chase? Pretty please with algorithms on top!

My belief is that you assign them to an unused switch in a particular layout.

So unless you’re using every switch in every layout. You’re fine

My belief is that you assign them to an unused switch in a particular layout.

So unless you’re using every switch in every layout. You’re fine

Ok...so I don't have to be in that layout for me to use it in another?

Ok...so I don't have to be in that layout for me to use it in another?

Correct. An external control switch can be assigned to any switch in any layout, regardless of what layout you currently have selected on the FC. Pick a layout you don't use, and you have 12 available switches to assign.

Correct. An external control switch can be assigned to any switch in any layout, regardless of what layout you currently have selected on the FC. Pick a layout you don't use, and you have 12 available switches to assign.

I truly don't think this was clear anywhere I've looked. Maybe it was, but not stressed in stupid layman's terms for a jackaloon like myself. Anyways thanks!

I remember seeing this in the release notes when the feature was added... haven't used it yet tho, so I had to look for the note.

STAND IN SWITCHES - This feature broadens the capabilities of external footswitches on the FC-6 or FC-12. Previously, external switches could be used only as modifier sources. Now, an external switch can operate globally as a “remote control” for any switch in any FC layout. For example, imagine an FC where Layout 6/Switch 1 has been set to "BANK +1" (tap) and "BANK -1" (hold). When we assign an FC External Switch as a stand-in for Layout 6/Switch 1, that external switch performs the bank up/down functions, even when Layout 6 is not loaded on the FC. The stand-in is an exact surrogate for the onboard switch, and can even be used with per-preset functions. Find the new “Stand-In Switches” page in the “FC Controllers” menu under SETUP. NOTE: Momentary switches will probably be preferred for use as stand-ins, because they more closely mimic the behavior of the on-board switches.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fc-features-notes-for-firmware-5-07.150309/post-1786644

Zionplayer is correct. I neglected to mention in my post that the external control switch gets tied in via "Stand In" switches. Sorry...When I don't have the Axe in front of my, my terminology isn't always spot on.

But I have a FC12 and I don't have 13, 14, 15, 16 like your FC6 can go to for placement.....literally can't place. Maybe an update Mr. Chase? Pretty please with algorithms on top!
There are four empty slots on Layout 9. That's what I use for mine, and it works out fine. :)

Second lunch time I've tried to get the switches 1+2 and 3+4 to work Independent of the other main switches on the FC 12. No luck. Any guidance? Be nice if the Axe Fx III had a easy assignable way of doing this. Seems like a major work around and I'm confused on how to do this.

Second lunch time I've tried to get the switches 1+2 and 3+4 to work Independent of the other main switches on the FC 12. No luck. Any guidance? Be nice if the Axe Fx III had a easy assignable way of doing this. Seems like a major work around and I'm confused on how to do this.
Just pull up the parameter you want to use, and attach a modifier to it. Each external footswitch on each FC shows up in the list of available modifiers.

Just pull up the parameter you want to use, and attach a modifier to it. Each external footswitch on each FC shows up in the list of available modifiers.
I've tried with no luck. The Youtube video that is going over this uses a FC6 not an FC12. Just not understanding how to do something that I think should be super easy. User error obviously but I'm about to give up on it. Anything that takes 2 lunch hours to try and get set up and still doesn't work seems like it is a little convoluted. I've been a Fractal user for over a decade and very familiar with setting things up....this is completely escaping me.

I've tried with no luck. The Youtube video that is going over this uses a FC6 not an FC12. Just not understanding how to do something that I think should be super easy. User error obviously but I'm about to give up on it. Anything that takes 2 lunch hours to try and get set up and still doesn't work seems like it is a little convoluted. I've been a Fractal user for over a decade and very familiar with setting things up....this is completely escaping me.
Use the instructions I wrote above, one step at a time. Which step isn't working?

Last edited:
Just tried the steps @Rex laid out and worked perfectly with both switches on my board - Assigned the Input Boost modifier to FC1 Ext. Switch 1

Works as expected. Reassigned the same modifier to FC1 Ext. Switch 2 and had the same success.

Reactions: Rex
Use the instructions I wrote above, one step at a time. Which step isn't working?

I'm sorry but still not getting this. I feel like I'm going to F something up. I just want my 4 ext switches on the back of the FC12 to globally Plex Delay, Filter Boost, Delay and my main lead sound on patch #1 that I can access globally. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

I see how to set the Ext Switch up for turning the bypass on/off in the Plex Delay.....but that is not global. I want it across everything that Ext Sw #1 is PLEX DELAY.

Last edited:
I'll be back at studio this evening for some tweaking. Hope someone can guide me in on this. Sorry that I can't seem to set it up right and appreciate the help immensely!

Back
Top Bottom