So, who's holding back?

skyko

Inspired
I did download all the stuff (expecially the manuals) and have been reading the manuals and forum posts but so far, I'm just waiting until the dust settles. 5.07/1.04 works nice for me and I'll wait a bit to understand what the "golden" point in time will be to upgrade. The goal will be to go from a stable/mature version to another stable/mature version withou having to apply multiple upgrades in short time.

What's your strategy?

that's not a bad idea, and actually quite refreshing to hear rather than "i want 6.0 yesterday!" but do realize that you can save all your presets and backup your system, upload the new firmware, try it, and if you don't like it, go right back to where you were.

there really haven't been any major problems, except you may have to adjust or re-do your amp blocks. but that's par for the course right?

I try to be reasonable and wait until the end of our gig on saturday evening, but then, most probably after the last tone played, I'm going to install FW6. ....... but I cannot guarantee that I won't switch before!

I updated. I have mainly rehearsals and no gig for ten days. Worked
Out perfect timing wise to go for it and enjoy. Installed it all yesterday and will be tryin it out later tonight at rehearsal, 6.0 style! Lol

I'm holding back till after work hours. They're working the streets here and last week they accidentally cut the electricity cable...! :eek:
I was quick to inquire if they had ever heard of firmware updates!?! :evil:mrgreen

I'd only hold back if I were buried in recording duties or busy with gigs and rehearsals to that extent, that I had no chance to go through my patches.
Even then, as Chris pointed out, you can always revert by saving your prior firmware and making backups (which I do regularly).

The fact, that this release has been tested by so many (FAS and beta team) and for a long period makes me extra confident that there's no reason (bugs, stability) to hold back.

I'm waiting until the weekend, that way I'll have plenty of time to make whatever adjustments are necessary.

Holding back because I want to upgrade all at once and have no midi cable. Ordered it yesterday from bestronics

I'd been holding back on making 'keeper' presets on 5.07 as I only got the Axe2 on the same day that particular firmware update was released but 6.0 was already being discussed - so v6.0 and stock presets went onto Mr Axe this morning first thing! No chance to actually play it yet ....

No reason to hold back for me. I have gigs every weekend, but I knew I could save my go-to 5.07 presets and reload them after upgrading (which I did). It's really just minor tweaks or resetting the amp in the preset that will put you right back in the game. I liked the new presets so much that I started my personal banks at channel 100 to leave that first 50 in place.

5.07 sounded pretty darned good, so you're not losing anything holding out until you're comfortable making the hop. Once you have the time, cables, editor, or whatever you need to update I think you'll find what most everyone else has: it's a great update and worth the little time it takes to reset and get everything back where you need it.

One thing I HIGHLY commend you for is taking the time to read the release notes and instructions carefully before jumping in. Literally every glitch (which was all of 2) I encountered was from not following instructions provided and going from memory. Very, very smart to do what you are doing, kudos to you on that!

I planned to hold back a few days, but got sucked in by the excitement & upgraded when I got home last night. I've been on "patch change hold" for 2 weeks, so I was anxious to get back in and work on things. I only have 2 main patches that I consider close to being finished and they both need some work with 6.0. If you are close to a gig, you better have some time to work on patches before the gig if you upgrade to 6.0.

I guess it depends on your situation. I loaded up a v6 release candidate and did a 4-hr gig 2 hrs later. I'm current (part of being a tester) on all firmwares - Axe and MFC - and have latest AxeEdit.
I have had no issues with gigging v6 !! Done TWO of them with it already.

As has been mentioned earlier - you can always go back to a prior firmware. Make sure you backup your banks and system settings first for both Axe and MFC. Upgrade to v6 and 2.0. If you are not happy, re-install the older setup and you are back where you were. Whole process takes less than 15 mins.

The MFC-101 release notes say: MFC-101 firmware 2.1 is now in pre-development. It will add a dedicated LOOPER CONTROL mode.
Now that would make me upgrade without hesitation ;)

As has been mentioned earlier - you can always go back to a prior firmware. Make sure you backup your banks and system settings first for both Axe and MFC. Upgrade to v6 and 2.0. If you are not happy, re-install the older setup and you are back where you were. Whole process takes less than 15 mins.

Did not know that, this changes a lot ...
Where can I download the old firmware(s) and old version of Axe-Edit?

I still have the Axe-Fx II FW but not MFC and no old version of Axe-Edit available ...

I still have the Axe-Fx II FW but not MFC and no old version of Axe-Edit available ...
Kind of goes with the whole doing backups thing. You should always keep backups of both firmware and AxeEdit versions. Some maybe up on the web site without direct links. IIRC there was an [original, not Axe-II] wiki article on how to do that...

Go back through the posts in the relevant sub-forum and find the un-stickied post announcing the version you want. e.g. firmware 5.07 is announced in this post...

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...xe-fx-ii-firmware-version-5-07-available.html

Or just click below...
http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware+presets/axe-fx-2/5.0/axefx2_5p07.zip

I don't ever hold out, but I am crazy so don't listen to me. :D

I have loaded beta firmware and reprogrammed everything hours before using it live... and beta guys are crazy by nature. ;)

Back
Top Bottom