So who is getting an 8 string Majesty!!?

That's not me, but wow! Multi-scale, huh. I had considered buying the 7 string 20th, but I stayed with 6. I'm quite content with 6 strings, although I may do a drop tuning on the 20th, maybe C standard.
I watched a very poor demo of the Majesty the other day, and he thought there was something wrong with the nut. Someone in the comments explained that it's a compensated nut to improve intonation at the lower frets. I've watched countless demos of Petrucci signature guitars and read lots of their specs, and in this 8 string video, this is the first time I'm hearing John even mention that.
I think that guitar is badass!

That's not me, but wow! Multi-scale, huh. I had considered buying the 7 string 20th, but I stayed with 6. I'm quite content with 6 strings, although I may do a drop tuning on the 20th, maybe C standard.
I watched a very poor demo of the Majesty the other day, and he thought there was something wrong with the nut. Someone in the comments explained that it's a compensated nut to improve intonation at the lower frets. I've watched countless demos of Petrucci signature guitars and read lots of their specs, and in this 8 string video, this is the first time I'm hearing John even mention that.
I think that guitar is badass!
Gibsons don’t come with compensated nuts, so it must be broken. I love his channel, but he should really do a little bit of reading on a $5k guitar before tearing it apart and wondering what everything is. (Not specifically about the compensated nut.) When it comes to anything Gibson related though, he’s brilliant.

Gibsons don’t come with compensated nuts, so it must be broken. I love his channel, but he should really do a little bit of reading on a $5k guitar before tearing it apart and wondering what everything is. (Not specifically about the compensated nut.) When it comes to anything Gibson related though, he’s brilliant.
:tearsofjoy: You knew exactly who I was talking about! Yeah, that review had several things wrong. He was definitely out of his element, and I cringed watching him play it.

I just looked over the details of the Majesty 8, and it looks like they're selling them direct from the factory, and only making 100. $4200 is not terrible at all, for, not maybe what the cost of making such a guitar is, but instead for what it is: JP's very first run of the 1st 8 string signature he's ever had.
On their site it lists them as sold out, so I figured I'd head over to Reverb to see if someone had one listed for double the price yet, and EBMM shows 1 available, pre-order, for January. If I had the money, I'd grab it for the collectible aspect. I don't see how you could get hurt.

The Majesty style took years for me to really like it. I suppose because I'm sort of a traditionalist, and old, haha. But once I let go of my notions of what a guitar should look like, and allowed myself to consider that styles advance, and that the guitar is designed to react quickly to everything you need to do, not unlike the race car analogy that JP himself uses, I came to really dig it. And once I owned one, I was done. It's an amazing guitar! And truly, there's a wide range of tones available as well.

Now that being said, I always thought the wider necks of the 7's looked disproportionate, which technically they are, since the bodies are all the same size. The only difference besides the neck width, is the headstock length. I felt they should've at least made the bodies slightly larger, even if not in the same proportion as how much wider a 7 neck is vs. a 6, but perhaps a half inch or so. Sure seems easy enough since they're all cut on a CNC machine. And now that I see the 8, it definitely looks a bit weird to me. But I imagine they had that discussion, and the result is what John wanted. But still an awesome looking axe, especially the fanned frets and angled PU's & bridge. Totally cool.

It's interesting how often times the most ergonomic design is not the most aesthetically pleasing design. I don't own a Majesty, but that's the reason I find it appealing. It looks like comfort was always the priority throughout the design process.

The Majesty style took years for me to really like it. I suppose because I'm sort of a traditionalist, and old, haha. But once I let go of my notions of what a guitar should look like, and allowed myself to consider that styles advance, and that the guitar is designed to react quickly to everything you need to do, not unlike the race car analogy that JP himself uses, I came to really dig it. And once I owned one, I was done. It's an amazing guitar! And truly, there's a wide range of tones available as well.

Now that being said, I always thought the wider necks of the 7's looked disproportionate, which technically they are, since the bodies are all the same size. The only difference besides the neck width, is the headstock length. I felt they should've at least made the bodies slightly larger, even if not in the same proportion as how much wider a 7 neck is vs. a 6, but perhaps a half inch or so. Sure seems easy enough since they're all cut on a CNC machine. And now that I see the 8, it definitely looks a bit weird to me. But I imagine they had that discussion, and the result is what John wanted. But still an awesome looking axe, especially the fanned frets and angled PU's & bridge. Totally cool.

That was my initial thought, too, at seeing it. Majesty body style is very sleek (long and narrow)
and with a massive neck like that the guitar ends up kind of looking like a Linebacker from Notre Dame.
All neck!! ;)
neck.jpg

Are 8 string guitars still popular? I feel like people were interested in JP playing an 8 string several albums ago. Now I feel like the novelty has faded. I could be completely off – maybe extended range guitars are still as popular as they were several years ago? I am not surprised that EBMM did a small run of these, but 100 guitars does seem a little too cautious.

Are 8 string guitars still popular? I feel like people were interested in JP playing an 8 string several albums ago. Now I feel like the novelty has faded. I could be completely off – maybe extended range guitars are still as popular as they were several years ago? I am not surprised that EBMM did a small run of these, but 100 guitars does seem a little too cautious.
probably more so than ever

Back
Top Bottom