So...which 7 pin midi cables work??

JohnBee

Inspired
I've read on the old forum that the rocktron 7 pin works great, now I read it doesn't. Mixed reviews on the Hosa cable. Which is the best one to use with the MFC in axe fx mode to get 2-way communication and power. I just don't read about any consistency on any cable.

A cable can always be knackered. Even when it's brand new. No matter what brand.
From a technical point of view, what you need is a cable with all 7 pins individually connected.
When at doubt, use an ohm meter to check.

I use a Rocktron 7 pin cable with absolutely no problems.
No mfc101 but a Gordius LG though, but that shouldn't matter; two-way communication and phantom power work flawlessly.

but see someone on the mfc-101 discussion said the rocktron worked on the gordius but not on the mfc. others confirmed it. but then others say it works with the axe fx. you can't open the package or the wire to check the connections before you buy it so what's the deal, are some just not connected well?

but see someone on the mfc-101 discussion said the rocktron worked on the gordius but not on the mfc. others confirmed it. but then others say it works with the axe fx. you can't open the package or the wire to check the connections before you buy it so what's the deal, are some just not connected well?

I've got two different rocktron 7 pin cables, neither of them work for 2way comms with the MFC & Axe-Fx, I can't get the tuner or IA switches working, i am in australia and somebody mentioned that the U.S. Cables may be different to the EUR/AU cables but i can't confirm that.
Someone else mentioned pulling their rocktron 7 pin cable apart to find that only 5 of the 7 pins are wired which does not enable 2 way comms with the MFC, the Gordius & LF's may work differently i do not know.

You know what? Fractal should make or have "official" midi cable that they approve. This will make such an issue much easier as a consumer...

+1 Best-tronics. Great quality, fast shipping. They have a 7 pin ( actually 8 ) "D" size panel mount receptacle for the front of a rack panel. I bought a second 4ft cable to sacrifice inside the rack so I can just plug into the front.

You know what? Fractal should make or have "official" midi cable that they approve. This will make such an issue much easier as a consumer...

G66 do that in the EU. They make their own up (high quality) which you are offered when purchasing the MFC.

As stated, with the MFC you need all 7 pins wired. I dont know how the gordius works - it maybe that only needs 5. Depends on the unit so you cannot draw comparisons. What you CAN do with any 7 pin cable is ASK if all 7 pins are connected. If the shop says yes and it doesnt work - get a refund. If they dont know, ask they to confirm it (which means they may open the package and check with a meter). TBH, I cant find ANY reference to all 7 pins connected on the rocktron. As soon as you connect a 5 way from Axe Send to MFC return everything works, even with the Rockton cable. Maybe theres some confusion there? Maybe some who say it works are actually using two cables and not realising thats why its working?

Just had a look at my Rocktron cable and thats definitely 7-core cable. I had a break in the cable which I had to repair so the cores are exposed. Now this was bought in the EU last year from Thomann so whether the design has changed since then I dont know. I use the Best Tronics one now, also 7 core cable, and heavier duty.

As stated, with the MFC you need all 7 pins wired. I dont know how the gordius works - it maybe that only needs 5.

For just two-way communication a std. 5 pin cable works. For phantom power the Gordius needs all 7 pins, too.

I think Rocktron gear (preamps and foot controllers) works the same, so there's no point in selling "Rocktron 7 pin cable" with less than all 7 pins wired.

Very strange that people report incompatibility in a few cases. As others said, first thing to check is if the wiring inside the cable is ok. It could just be faulty.

Why? there are no Rocktron products that use two way comms that Im aware of - why wouldnt they wire only 5 pins?

Standard MIDI needs 3 wires. A ground and a data pair. 5 Pin DIN connectors were chosen for convenience as they were readily available. Most 5 Pin cables only have 3 cores not 5.

When equipment started to have the facility for fantom powering it required another 2 cores. 7 Pin DINS were chosen with pins 6 and 7 being power so a 5 way carrying power couldnt be connected to a 5 pin socket that could accept it and damange the equipment. MOST 7 PIN cables are only wired with 5 cores.

The Rocktron 7 PIN cable - at least in the UE and Austrailia only has 5 cores. I chopped the end off mine to check (initially to wire it up myself to make sure it WAS correct) and it only had a 5 core cable. Not speculation - FACT.

It is possible I suppose to make equipment that can handle 2 way comms with a single data pair - which is why I asked about the Gordius. Of course it requires a 7 Pin connector for fantom power and 5 Pin for standard oporation - BUT, does it only need one data pair? I dont know which is why I asked.

It may be that in the US (and so US sources cables) the Rocktron ones are 7 core - or they make both 5 and 7 core cables available in the US. I dont know. However I know of 7 people now with 10 Rocktron 7 Pin cables between them in the UK and Australia and none work with the MFC for 2 way comms. At least 3 of those have been checked and only had 5 core cables.

Why? there are no Rocktron products that use two way comms that Im aware of - why wouldnt they wire only 5 pins?

I'm not sure I get the sense of this sentence together with this question, but:

I'm no expert on Rocktron gear, but at least the Midi Mate and the All Access both support phantom power and 2-way com., to be used for example with the Prophesy preamp (which I still own).
If not all 7 pins are needed - what's the point of using 7 pin at all?
By using pins 1 and 3 and actually using the preamp's midi in socket for midi out data the manufacturer already deviates from the midi standard.
So they could just stick to 5 pins, which are more available.

Don't get me wrong, I believe what you experienced and what you report.
It just doesn't make sense to me and doesn't fit my experience with a Rocktron 7 pin cable.
I don't know where mine's made and unless it's printed on the cable itself, I won't find out.

I'm not sure I get the sense of this sentence together with this question, but:

I'm no expert on Rocktron gear, but at least the Midi Mate and the All Access both support phantom power and 2-way com., to be used for example with the Prophesy preamp (which I still own).
If not all 7 pins are needed - what's the point of using 7 pin at all?
By using pins 1 and 3 and actually using the preamp's midi in socket for midi out data the manufacturer already deviates from the midi standard.
So they could just stick to 5 pins, which are more available.

Don't get me wrong, I believe what you experienced and what you report.
It just doesn't make sense to me and doesn't fit my experience with a Rocktron 7 pin cable.
I don't know where mine's made and unless it's printed on the cable itself, I won't find out.

The rocktron Midi Mate has only one way communication, it sends patch changes, cc's etc to the unit it controls but does not receive any info back from the unit as far as I am aware after owning one, which is why you have to programme the names of your patches into the midi mate, if it were two way the unit would grab the patch name from the unit it's controlling.

Last edited:
All Access only has one way comms well - Ive just sold one when I got the MFC which I bought BECAUSE the all Aceess doent support 2 way comms..

you have 7 Pins because power for phantom powering equipment is on pins 6 and 7 as I explained. a standard 5 Pin wouldnt allow this. That is the ONLY reason why 7 Pins plugs are used normally. It doesnt mean all the other 5 Pins are wired. Normally only 3 pins of a 5 Pin cable are wired - one ground and one pair for Data. In most 7 Pins the same 3 Pins are wired - Plus the extra 2 Pins (6 and 7) for power.

Anyway - dont want to get into a bun fight here with why a MIDI cable wouldnt have all 7 Pins conencted - needless to say not all do.

for the OP, ANY cabe terminated with 7 Pin DIN connectors, where all 7 Pins are connected will work (same goes for all 5 Pins of a 5 Pin cable if you dont need fantom power) - thoses that dont have all pins connected will not give 2 way comms.

My advice is to ask the seller before you buy if all 7 are connected. If they cant tell you ask them to find out - either by testing them with a meter or contacting the manufacturer. If they wont do that or still can tell you - DONT BUY IT !!. If they tell you yes and it then doesnt work, send it back. if you can test it before you send it back (with a meter) do so - and if not all 7 are connected complain to the seller as they told you they were.

Everyone seems to be missing the point. As far as i know the GC Pro doesnt handle 2 way comms either. It is ONLY when 2 way comms are needed and ONLY if those comms are carried out down 2 Data pairs (rather than some kind of duplex system down a single pair). for one way comms and fantom power the rocktron works fine

I will be able to tell you one way or another tomorrow as I now have an MFC and ordered the Rocktron cable. I also emailed Thomman to ask them but they havent replied. I'm in UK

Back
Top Bottom