So where are AXE 1 and AXE 2 made in?

I didn't get any solid answer to be honest, other than Cliff's statements that it is made in USA. I just asked how much of it and what parts of it are actually made in USA. I didn't really get any replies to that. Instead I got lots of 'humorous' replies.

Maybe if you share with us why you're interested in more details than what Cliff has already given you, you would get the answers you're after? That is, if you're not just trolling :)

FWIW the TigerSHARC DSP is made by a company called Analog Devices with some more info here:
Analog Devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(I'm not sure though if that's the kind of answer you're after)

I didn't get any solid answer to be honest, other than Cliff's statements that it is made in USA. I just asked how much of it and what parts of it are actually made in USA. I didn't really get any replies to that. Instead I got lots of 'humorous' replies.

Then that's your answer. What more do you require?

There is a difference say in a Fender made in Mexico/Korea/... than one made in the USA.

Do you, if you are being honest with yourself, believe that this is due to the fact that they are made on different sides of the border? Or could, perhaps, the fact that they are made to meet different price points be the most important factor?

my question is if the electronics and the chassis of the Axe are made in the USA. Or if it is assembled in the USA. I just want to know out of curiousity. Nothing more. But I am aware of Cliff's statement, but this doesnt answer my aforementioned questions.

what exactly is my answer? anyway, I understand that this information I am asking about is not really known by someone here.

That's sort of obvious, no one here works in the logistics department for Fractal. No one knows what you are asking except Fractal and it's interesting that you are so focused on it.

You have Cliff's statement; if that's not sufficient enough for you then you'd do far better contacting the people directly that know.

I think the original designs were drawn on a US napkin with a US biro one night in a US bar over a few bottles of Bud?
thinking on it some more... Bud is a US beer modelling a Czech one..
maybe that's where the whole Axe modelling thing comes from..
"I wonder if I can get this modelled beer to sound like a JCM800.."

I therefore deduce that the Axe is made in the US with Czech modelled thought processes..

That's sort of obvious, no one here works in the logistics department for Fractal. No one knows what you are asking except Fractal and it's interesting that you are so focused on it.

You have Cliff's statement; if that's not sufficient enough for you then you'd do far better contacting the people directly that know.

I am not a long time member of the forum. I am not sure whether this information has been open or not. I don't care that much to bother the fractal people with such a question. I'd rather focus on enjoying my Axe as soon as it arrives. But I was really curious on my question. 'Made in USA' is a strong marketing point of Fractal's. You can't argue that. And nowdays electronics are mostly made in asia. So that led me to my thoughts and questions.

I remember when the AXE II was being released, the gentleman That was building the boards had a bunch of pictures showing the boards being assembled. you should be able to search for those. Honestly though if you want the real answer, I would do what Scott Peterson said, just ask the source, as they are extremely forthcoming with all the info, they really have nothing to hide and the only reason why people are joking with you about it is because it really doesn't matter. The real question is will they stand behind their product if it fails, and all you have to do is follow the forum for awhile and realize that they do.

I don't know of any other small company (in the Music Business), that cares more then Fractal, when it comes to their customers. when you are the beneficiaries of the kindness that they give, you will fight tooth and nail to support whatever mechanism it is that they need, period.

Haven't checked the links, but here are some old quotes I had (on G1 probably) from Cliff:

Also, it's made in the USA. We've taken a stance against offshoring the production for now. It makes the product a bit more expensive but saves jobs in this country. We feel it also makes for a higher quality product.
-
The DSP is made in Canada. The boards are assembled in Wilmington MA. Final assembly is done in NH. The chassis is made in MA as well. There is NO production whatsoever done in Asia. Some of the components, of course, are of Asian origin but that's inevitable.
-
The only thing we're considering outsourcing is the sheet metal chassis. The manufacturing is still all done in the U.S. We can get the chassis for half the price offshore. Most of the other parts are made in China anyways, no control over that. But we stuff the boards and test and everything else right here in the U.S. /
The pricing after the waiting lists are gone is still TBD. It'll probably end up somewhere in-between. At the discounted price we're a bit under the required multiplier for the products. We're trying to shave costs by sourcing the chassis from China but we're still a bit high. FWIW, and this is totally my personal opinion, I've had a high-end competitor's unit for a couple weeks now. After evaluating that, I feel the Ultra, even at full MSRP, is a bargain.
-
I believe that outsourcing is one of the reasons the economy is in the mess it is in now. The problem with outsourcing is that it basically makes labor a worldwide free market. So American laborers compete with the rest of the world. Now the rest of the world has, on average, a much lower standard of living and therefore the American laborer is forced to accept a lower wage, either directly or indirectly (his job goes away and he ends up flipping burgers). Outsourcing benefits a small group of individuals in the short-term, namely CEO's and large shareholders as the company is able to lower costs and therefore increase profits. However in the long-term this advantage goes away since competitors follow suit and a price war ensues so the profit increase is only temporary. Even worse, this leads to trade imbalance and a steady flow of money out of the country. Those American workers are now making less and therefore have less to spend which causes a vicious cycle. I fought outsourcing at my previous company and used the arguments above but lost the battle to short-sighted upper management. I even got into a argument with a Senator over it. I tried to explain the problem to him (Republican) but, in typical politician fashion, he didn't really listen and didn't give a straight answer to anything I asked. The very wealthy have benefited from outsourcing and become far more wealthy as a result. Unfortunately they've traded away our future for it. I've been preaching this for years but no one listens. The only other person that seems to understand this is, ironically, Warren Buffet.

Last edited:
I am not a long time member of the forum. I am not sure whether this information has been open or not. I don't care that much to bother the fractal people with such a question. I'd rather focus on enjoying my Axe as soon as it arrives. But I was really curious on my question. 'Made in USA' is a strong marketing point of Fractal's. You can't argue that. And nowdays electronics are mostly made in asia. So that led me to my thoughts and questions.

If you go on the nitty gritty, you will probably see parts of the electronics that are not made in the USA. The solder, the wires, etc. are probably made elsewhere. I mean try to find an article of clothing in your closet. How many are made in the USA. I mean, how about the air that the Fractal workers breathe? Probably some of it came from another country due to the global current circulation. See how silly this can get?

does it really matter where it's made???

Some of us actually do care about this sort of thing.

The questions posed by the OP are not unreasonable. He's gotten a partial answer and is seeking more details. Again, not unreasonable. It'd be great if Fractal would disclose the info but it's obviously their call.

There are a lot of companies that use very misleading terms and marketing (and I am not in anyway implying that Fractal does). A while back I bought a very nice drum throne. They claimed that their product was "Made by an American". It said so right on the box. Loud and proud. I got it home and unpacked it only to discover that the actual metal stand part of the throne was in an inner box labeled made in China. I found this to be incredibly misleading and dishonest. Being the snarky fucker that I am, I called the company and asked if they were shipping Americans to China to build their drum thrones.

So I fully support when someone wants to get clarity on where things are made.

There is a difference say in a Fender made in Mexico/Korea/... than one made in the USA.

There is a difference because Fender made it so. They make the cheap lower quality stuff Asia, the slightly better stuff in Mexico, and the attention to detail stuff in the US.

they could also make attention to detail stuff in Asia or Mexico, but they choose not too.

Just because some or many companies have cheap stuff made over seas doesn't mean EVERYTHING made over seas is cheap stuff...

My mom and dad were both made in the USA. I was obviously made in the USA. I have serious flaws. Salma Hyek was made in Mexico.

Which would you rather cuddle up to tonight? :mrgreen

I've just had to examine a vast number of pics of her to ensure that what you are saying is true...
I think I need to examine some more
purely in the interests of being thorough..

in my case...
Made in England out of a hybrid of bits from Spain and Australia
which is why i am clearly defective and should have been returned whilst still under warranty..

My mom and dad were both made in the USA. I was obviously made in the USA. I have serious flaws. Salma Hyek was made in Mexico.

Which would you rather cuddle up to tonight? :mrgreen
Well even though I can't speak Spanish .....

Back
Top Bottom