So whats your opinion on Apple music

I use Sonos at home so that's holding me back for the moment. Looking forward to compare it to Spotify when Sonos support has been added, later in the year apparently. The thing that has made me stick with Spotify over the competition up until now is Spotify's support for adding my own music. That wasn't possible with Rdio or anything else last time I looked and is a very handy feature. I assume that I'll be able to create playlists in Apple Music with streamed and from my iTunes library combined?

I use Sonos at home so that's holding me back for the moment.

Apparently by EOY: Apple Music will support Sonos by year’s end -- you can always stream though an AppleTV though.

The thing that has made me stick with Spotify over the competition up until now is Spotify's support for adding my own music. That wasn't possible with Rdio or anything else last time I looked and is a very handy feature. I assume that I'll be able to create playlists in Apple Music with streamed and from my iTunes library combined?

You'll like Apple Music then -- the streaming vs. personally-uploaded-to-cloud stuff is very integrated. When I "like" streamed content it starts to show up in My Music, mixed in with my "physically" owned content I've got there already (I was already an iTunes Match subscriber to keep all my bought stuff in the cloud).

You can mix personal content with streaming content in playlists.

I like it so far. If the curated experience and/or radio grows in depth it will be even better. So far, so good for my streaming needs. I've been more into hi-quality listening from CD/HD lately but there's a place for streaming as well.

Looks like they finally implemented the functionality from when they bought out LaLa. I'll probably give it a test run in a few months (let them work out the bugs first).

Meanwhile there are reports of serious issues with Apple Music.
It adds DRM to your own recordings (rehearsals, gigs etc.).
And it may replace unique recordings (bootlegs etc.), or lossless audio files, with its own stuff because of its matching mechanism.
I'm out until this is sorted.

iTunes Radio is still nice.

It adds DRM to your own recordings (rehearsals, gigs etc.).
Apparently only if you don't have iTunes Match. And only if you download a song you own on a device where you've never downloaded it before. So keep your local backups of your owned music before you turn it on!

iTunes Radio is still nice.
The three skips an hour limit on Radio drives me nuts. It's what's kept me on Rdio all this time. Did they drop that restriction?

Yes, but those "only ifs" and "not ifs" make it too complicated.

Running iTunes Match + Apple Music + iCloud Music Library + Genius: totally confusing to me.

Add to that: iTunes. The worst interface Apple has designed ever, especially when syncing a mobile device.
And adding Apple Music made it worse: the interface now changes, depending on enabling/disabling Apple Music.

It's just music playback.

Last edited:
Do you seriously expect to keep your OWN music streaming only with no local backup? That is just stupid. Sorry. Otherwise, you always have a non-DRM copy and you know exactly where it lives. It is hardly a big deal. If you want a non-DRM backup service that is Match.

Can't help you with the UI that is personal taste, since I have all the iOS gear it is perfect for me, but I get it if you prefer something else. This is just so much better than Rhapsody/MusicMatch which is what I have been using since before the iPod even existed...

The three skips an hour limit on Radio drives me nuts. It's what's kept me on Rdio all this time. Did they drop that restriction?
This has never been a restriction for paying customers. A Match subscription is enough AFAIK but a Music sub should get it for you as well.

Really? That's good news. I was almost at my limit.
This rolls out with the next major iOS update from what I saw on the net.

This has never been a restriction for paying customers. A Match subscription is enough AFAIK but a Music sub should get it for you as well.
Nope. I pay for iTunes Match and can only skip three songs an hour on iTunes Radio. Has been that way since...forever.

Running iTunes Match + Apple Music + iCloud Music Library + Genius: totally confusing to me.
Yea, they have intersecting technologies here and they're rollout strategy doesn't seem to convey they've put a lot of thought in to how they'll collide (or not).

No, it uploads the non-iTunes songs to iCloud and makes it available for streaming whether it is on iTunes or not. I have some of my personal clips on it for example.
That's interesting... but the DRM issue, replacing songs, and all still makes Apple music sound pretty unworkable for me. I'll wait till it sorts out.

What I really want is either a) a high-capacity iPod-type device (Fiio or whatever) where I can carry all my music, or b) a phone that holds like 500GB. The phone would be perfect because that way you don't have to carry two devices. But those probably won't be developed until the phones' OS and apps, next-gen HQ video, etc, grow to take up a large chunk of that capacity... so no real advantage there.

I do like hitting up Pandora or Spotify sometimes; I find some cool stuff I didn't know about. But unfortunately, streaming has pretty much killed the viability of strong consumer support for those high-capacity devices and has made them niche products.

I think it's great, I'm a Match subscriber as well and they are entirely integrated. I listen to some semi-out there stuff and I haven't run into any problems streaming - Tigran Hamasyan, Tony Danza Tap-dance Extravaganza, and John Zorn were all there for streaming. Those aren't representative of what I listen to every day but the first two are fairly obscure so I was happy they were available. I spend about $50 to $60 per month on music so $10 per month is a no-brainer for me.

This is the end ... I don't like spotify or whatever streaming service ...
Plùs Apple store let some cents over the music they sell ...
Music is somenthing that have to do with musicians ... Not Sellers!
I hate this shit ...
I have a lot and purchese a LOT of music from Bandcamp because I think as a "musician" that we need to revert this and let the musicians gain the most .

If a band is not top rated and can't afford super-touring live ... Extintion is the only end of this...

I remember some time ago , on the radio the speaker was telling about the songwriter of GARBAGE really ashamed by all this crap .

50.000.000 of download/streaming of his band in 2014 ... Less than 40.000 USD

Are we kiddin' ?? If we want to make of that a living ... This streaming services needs to stop or at list be a LOT more expensive.

I buy music , having iTunes ( but most of the time I don't buy on theStore) and I have 60GB of music in my phone . Period

Reactions: DNW
Back
Top Bottom