so what's up with high gain stuff on the II?

bluesmostly

Inspired
I think I read something about this on here a few months ago, but that was before I got my AXE II, and I can't track it down right now.

I find the high gain amps sound 'grainy' and 'scratchy' with the same amount of gain on the dial compared to the gen 1 models. Do I have to approach how I set up these amps in a new way with the II?

I set up a couple of my favorite presets that I use regularly on my Standard with the Recto Orange amp and the FAS Lead amp, for example, dialed in the same way, and it sounds like a chainsaw buzz happening over top of the tone.

Whasup?

Reset the AMP block to defaults, and start tweaking from the default values. The power-amp modeling has been amazingly reworked on the II, especially in v.4 and v.5.

Study the Release Notes. Tweak with your ears, not your eyes. :) Be sure to check out the Dynamics parameter (AMP block) and the Speaker Motor Drive parameter (CAB block).

Some awesome tones await you.

I find the high gain amps sound 'grainy' and 'scratchy' with the same amount of gain on the dial compared to the gen 1 models.
You mean "audibly"? You probably can't compare the dials, esp. MV.

Do I have to approach how I set up these amps in a new way with the II?
No, it's still by ear ;)

Possibly some RTFRN ;)

Help will be on the way. Sorry for the kidding...

I'm pretty far seperated from the Ultra and II, it's been about 9 months of AxeFX-less hell, but I'm of the opinion that they do respond differently, sound differently and are in fact two different pieces of gear. Which makes that extra $500 I spent feel justified. ;)

It wasn't like I had to relearn how to program it, I actually find that I can dial in something how I want faster and that some of the stuff I would do that got me into serious trouble tonewise doesn't happen as much. Basically I'm looking less often for advanced parameters and stuff to get take something out that I don't want or add something that isn't there. But I've always done all of my tone tweaking by ear so I never worried about my knobs matching something specific so it may not be as big a deal for me as it would be for some others.

I do think that this is much of the reasoning behind there not being an Ultra to II preset conversion or even someone making a 3rd party app....it probably just wouldn't work.

Back
Top Bottom