• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

so what's up with high gain stuff on the II?

bluesmostly

Inspired
I think I read something about this on here a few months ago, but that was before I got my AXE II, and I can't track it down right now.

I find the high gain amps sound 'grainy' and 'scratchy' with the same amount of gain on the dial compared to the gen 1 models. Do I have to approach how I set up these amps in a new way with the II?

I set up a couple of my favorite presets that I use regularly on my Standard with the Recto Orange amp and the FAS Lead amp, for example, dialed in the same way, and it sounds like a chainsaw buzz happening over top of the tone.

Whasup?

xrist04

Fractal Fanatic
Reset the AMP block to defaults, and start tweaking from the default values. The power-amp modeling has been amazingly reworked on the II, especially in v.4 and v.5.

Study the Release Notes. Tweak with your ears, not your eyes. :) Be sure to check out the Dynamics parameter (AMP block) and the Speaker Motor Drive parameter (CAB block).

Some awesome tones await you.

vAmp

Fractal Fanatic
I find the high gain amps sound 'grainy' and 'scratchy' with the same amount of gain on the dial compared to the gen 1 models.
You mean "audibly"? You probably can't compare the dials, esp. MV.

Do I have to approach how I set up these amps in a new way with the II?
No, it's still by ear ;)

Possibly some RTFRN ;)

Help will be on the way. Sorry for the kidding...

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
I'm pretty far seperated from the Ultra and II, it's been about 9 months of AxeFX-less hell, but I'm of the opinion that they do respond differently, sound differently and are in fact two different pieces of gear. Which makes that extra $500 I spent feel justified. ;)

It wasn't like I had to relearn how to program it, I actually find that I can dial in something how I want faster and that some of the stuff I would do that got me into serious trouble tonewise doesn't happen as much. Basically I'm looking less often for advanced parameters and stuff to get take something out that I don't want or add something that isn't there. But I've always done all of my tone tweaking by ear so I never worried about my knobs matching something specific so it may not be as big a deal for me as it would be for some others.

I do think that this is much of the reasoning behind there not being an Ultra to II preset conversion or even someone making a 3rd party app....it probably just wouldn't work.

Top Bottom