So what's the deal with 24 fret guitars

skolacki

Fractal Fanatic
I don't often hit the 22nd fret, so why would I want a 24? Does moving the neck pickup back a bit give it better tone? Just curious is all. They seem to be popular.

2 more than a 22 fret. 3 more than a 21 fret. Slightly brighter neck tone. Maybe easier to get lost. Easier to get neck harmonics. Other than that I’ve got nothing.

All up to what you play. If my band covers a tune that uses the high octave, I grab that axe (for example lots of Priest solos)

My 24s have more fingerboard overlap onto the body and less (or none) distance between fingerboard and neck pickup so 24 frets does not necessarily impact neck pu position which would vary its tone.

Not normally needed but I have had 1 or 2 solos that require you to hit that high E (or beyond) and for those tunes, it's easier than trying to bend that high note so far. It does also change the neck pickup location slightly so maybe that's a minor factor for some.

How about that stuff I read on 24 frets, the harmonic not lining up with the neck pickup? BS or maybe not?

How about that stuff I read on 24 frets, the harmonic not lining up with the neck pickup? BS or maybe not?
is it supposed to? if yes, wouldn't that mean pups need to be placed at exactly the same point along string length for all guitars of the same scale length? don't think thats the case - we need Andy Eagle for more insight

I'm pretty sure that spot is where the (open) string is not moving at all for the root harmonic. At any rate, it would only apply to open strings.

Some like the extra length 😳

Extra length of fretboard? The scale length doesnt change between a custom 22 or custom 24, the neck pickup placement is what moves.

• neck pickup will sound different
  • no bend to 2nd octave
  • potential variation in heel cutaway (dependent entirely on builder)
  • aesthetics

I generally stick with 22's because I like them.

When I'm on the 22 I'm often playing in E trying to bend to that octave. Not easy. It would be a good thing to just fret it instead. Thanks guys

I prefer the sound of the neck pickup in the strat position (24th fret) to the one on a 24 fret geetar.
I always feel the neck pup on a 24 fretter sounds more like the 4 th position on a strat, in between neck and middle.

I don't often hit the 22nd fret, so why would I want a 24? Does moving the neck pickup back a bit give it better tone? Just curious is all. They seem to be popular.
Lots of good insights above. I have to believe some of it is due to being trendy. I don't personally see much use for it, although some may. Same reason I'll never play a seven or eight string guitar; six strings are more than enough for me to handle!!!

Back
Top Bottom