So what's the deal with 24 fret guitars

All of my electric guitars have 24 frets and I prefer that.

The neck pickup is a touch closer to the bridge, which makes it less boomy than it otherwise would be. I also like to be able to easily grab the high Eb and E, which I do somewhat regularly.

Extra length of fretboard? The scale length doesnt change between a custom 22 or custom 24, the neck pickup placement is what moves.

• neck pickup will sound different
  • no bend to 2nd octave
  • potential variation in heel cutaway (dependent entirely on builder)
  • aesthetics.

My PRS Studio and SE245 both have 22. The other two both have 24. Generally speaking, I like neck humbuckers better on 24 fret guitars, or on SGs, where there is more space between the 22nd fret and the pickup. It seems to help a neck humbucker to have the extra brightness from being located there....

My PRS Studio and SE245 both have 22. The other two both have 24. Generally speaking, I like neck humbuckers better on 24 fret guitars, or on SGs, where there is more space between the 22nd fret and the pickup. It seems to help a neck humbucker to have the extra brightness from being located there....

Maybe I'll make a quick a/b later.

I have one PRS SE w/ 24 frets that I got for a couple of songs where I needed that high E, as others have mentioned. But I generally prefer the fatter tone of the neck pup on 22s.

I tend to rest the fingers of my picking hand on the guitar body, right near the PU's, so I have trouble picking anywhere but between them, so I can sort of feel where the bridge PU is, with my fingers. I find that if I intentionally move up (towards the nut) out of my "comfort zone", to get certain pinch harmonics, the bridge PU quickly affects that, sort of, getting in the way. So for that use case, having that extra room btw them may be a benefit.
But after getting my first 24-fret guitar, a PRS Custom 24, I found I just prefer having the extra notes available. I play a couple solos that have quick slides up to the 20th, 21st, and even 24th frets. Having the extra room a 24 fret neck has is helpful in those situations.
Does anyone know who first built a guitar with 24 frets? I think it mainly comes down to what you play, note-wise, and whether you can tell, and prefer, the difference in tone of the neck PU, depending on its placement. I didn't know that about SG's.

Maybe a better question is, "Why stop there?"

bbhtbgdrd7fgegjvgqq7.jpg

That's 31 frets!

Maybe a better question is, "Why stop there?"

bbhtbgdrd7fgegjvgqq7.jpg

That's 31 frets!
Realizing yours was a rhetorical question, I'd bet it simply comes down to diminishing returns: Being able to get your fingers to land accurately on those super-high frets, and the amount of body wood that then gets removed. Plus it just looks weird! ;)

But speaking of getting to higher notes than the fretboard has... Has anyone seen Bumblefoot's trick? This is so cool: He uses a metal thimble that he'll grab, and sort of pop it down onto the strings, near the bridge, effectively shortening the string length, and raising the pitch. Obviously we're talking about tiny increments of space here, not to mention having a really good ear, but to see him do it is pretty wild. So really, he could theoretically play a guitar with no frets. Oh wait, he does.
RonThal.jpeg

I bought my PRS Custom 24 in 2001 and I don't know why. I guess I figured two full octaves would be best.

I just purchased a Mark Holcomb PRS SVN Seven string guitar and it has 24 frets as well. First electric guitar purchase in 20 years!

Most of my guitars are 24 fret, and I find there are many times when I need the 23rd or 24th fret. I have 2 guitars with only 21 frets. Those will probably get sold. For my playing, anything less than 22 frets is not enough.

Back
Top Bottom