So, what's everyone's favourite amp model?

So far I'm really into the Friedman and Bogner stuff for high gain tones. I really like the DR Z and /13 models for clean with just a bit of breakup, and for straight up clean the Roland JC120.

i’ve only been digging into my new AX8 for just over a week and have only really delved into some Plexis - my current fave is the 100w (1970) - but if they’re anything to go by, I can’t wait to start listening to the ‘Fenders’, other ‘Marshalls’ etc.

For what it’s worth - and I am a complete modeller newbie - i’m loving the Plexis (especially the 100watt 1970). I’ve used them with my vintage Strat as well as my 20-year-old SG... and they sound SO good - with minimal tweaking.
But it seems like an almost beautifully, endless musical pit worth exploring - especially once you bring the rabbit hole of endless IRs into the equation... enough to drive a guitarist mad (in a ‘good’ way 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Brit 800 has been a staple for me for a few years, its very close to my two JCM800's just not as heavy to tote around, "Plexi 50 Nrml" and "Plexi 100 Jump" are all staple of my sound.

I have it narrowed down to a couple dozen, but a few favorites are starting to emerge. In no particular order:

Hipower Jumped
6G4 Super
6G12 Concert
Friedman Small Box
1987X
DC30
IIC+ (I have the Toosie+ pack from ML)
AC20 EF86
Prince Tone Reverb

kind of surprised to not see the engl and soldano as for me they have been favs across several modelers for solo.

c++ is 14 distinct types of awesome.

love the twin - esp silverface.

love the bassman.

I'm a 2-channel guy so:
C++ for the screams
JC120 for the whispers

But I can´t really do a closed choice because I love Friedmans, Usa Leads, Brit Pre, the first Fenders...everyday is diferent!

6G4 Super
6G12 Concert

I've been auditioning all the amps in the AX8 over the last couple of weeks since I'm using, and experimenting, with new IR's and have 'discovered' these two amps that I never really connected with before. They are both now on my short-list for certain single-coil tones.

Still my all time favorite Marshall in the box....

Lately I've settled on the Nuclear Tone....still enjoy the AC-20 EF86 Treble and the occasional Hot Kitty though. Gotta revisit my original "favorite", cranked Deluxe Verb, with the new firmware.

still enjoy the AC-20 EF86 Treble
I was just playing my Electromatic Duo-Jet through that, after playing through the Supremo and the DC30 for a bit this evening.

I decided the Gretsch/AC20 EF86 Treble with both pickups on and the neck volume dialed back just a smidge was the perfect sound for a song I wrote in 1987. Just a tiny bit of hair/snarl when you dig in, and sparkling clean when picking lighter. Great muted sweep picking percussiveness compressed just perfectly to sit in the mix without sounding too ratty. Jangle for days on the softer, picked arpeggio parts.

'discovered' these two amps that I never really connected with before. They are both now on my short-list for certain single-coil tones.
I, sadly, passed on buying a 6G4 for $400 back in the early '90s, because I wanted an amp with reverb. :( Ended up with a '72 Super instead.

Now there is a 6G12 sitting in a shop in Scottsdale, asking $3400 or so.

Back
Top Bottom