So, what's everyone's favourite amp model?

Favorite amp model? Gimme a break: Monogamy has its place, but not when it comes to guitars and amps: I’ve gone full harem since I got the AX8; This is my chance to bang whatever I want as long as I want.

That said, not including the one night stands and month long affairs: The perennial favorites I return to again and again:

5F8 Tweed Twin: sparkly and clean on the surface but gets dirty in a hurry.
Bandmaster - such impeccable manners - and I can take it home to Mom.
Tweed Deluxe - because its a Tweed Deluxe
Ruby Rocket - a legato lead tone that makes me feel like a rock star
Carol Ann Tucana - does it all and does it well
Freidman 2018 - The EL34 muscle car I’m driving around at the moment. (I always need some sort of Marshallesque ride, know what I mean?)
Morgan AC20 - for that EF86 Vox action
Hiwatt - If you really crank it: it sings with a fabulous saturation, note definition, and balance between plain and wound strings that is unique (AFAIK) and on the AX8 you can do it at lower than Live at Leeds sound pressure levels.
ODS-100 - a PITA to get excited, but a real screamer once you get it going.

Last edited:
PLEXI 50 HI 1
In particular Moke's version of it.
Since I got it, It really satisfies most all my wants in just one amp using scenes for input trim controlling the gain factor!
Works SO well with my volume knob to clean up if needed.
As a side note, the presets I have purchased from Moke have all been wonderful!
I can tweak if I want to, but would rather PLAY than fiddle. ;)

Favorite amp model? Gimme a break: Monogamy has its place, but not when it comes to guitars and amps: I’ve gone full harem since I got the AX8; This is my chance to bang whatever I want as long as I want.

That said, not including the one night stands and month long affairs: The perennial favorites I return to again and again:

Freidman 2018 - The EL34 muscle car I’m driving around at the moment. (I always need some sort of Marshallesque ride, know what I mean?)
Hiwatt - If you really crank it: it sings with a fabulous saturation, note definition, and balance between plain and wound strings that is unique (AFAIK) and on the AX8 you can do it at lower than Live at Leeds sound pressure levels.

Fantastically written. . . Bravo sir, Bravo!

Today Sir, you win the Oscar for best internet post

Lately,

For leads Brit 800 Mod just Cranked!
For Praise and Worship Matchless D30
For heavy rhythms 6160 Block, Recto 1 Red, FAS Modern
For cleans Double Verb, Deluxe Tweed, Buttery, Shiver Clean

1. Orange Rockerverb
(Orange OR has been my main amp for years, so i tend to get back to Orange amp sims and the RV sim is azing)

2. Marshall 800: Goes well with most of styles of music so whenever I can't decide which amp goes well with a prticular song, this amp is the safe choice.

3. Morgan AC 20: Beautiful Tone

4. Trainwreck Liverpool

I am really enjoying this thread, and learning as I go.

I see the phrase "IR" -- by which I interpret to mean "Impulse Response" -- mentioned a couple of times. This is foreign territory for me. I vaguely understand IRs to be "software" (as opposed to hardware) or "parameters" which are used to simulate the effect of playing through certain types of speakers and/or cabinets -- is that basically correct?

Does the AX8 have a selection of IRs already programmed into it, meaning that IRs would be a selection parameter when configuring one's sound -- or are the IRs one more thing to buy? Just trying to wrap my brain around the idea a little better.....

Favorite amp for what?

For high gain?
For cleans?
For medium gain?
For blues?

I think the question is better answered within that context.

I am really enjoying this thread, and learning as I go.

I see the phrase "IR" -- by which I interpret to mean "Impulse Response" -- mentioned a couple of times. This is foreign territory for me. I vaguely understand IRs to be "software" (as opposed to hardware) or "parameters" which are used to simulate the effect of playing through certain types of speakers and/or cabinets -- is that basically correct?

Does the AX8 have a selection of IRs already programmed into it, meaning that IRs would be a selection parameter when configuring one's sound -- or are the IRs one more thing to buy? Just trying to wrap my brain around the idea a little better.....
The AX8 had a great selection of built-in IRs. But it is also something where you can buy more. If you find out which kind of speaker you like, you can find IR libraries based around this particular speaker

I've been digging the Deluxe Reverb quite a bit lately. It works really well with @2112's workhorse drive pedal settings and also really well with the BB pre. Here, you are only hearing the amp and some spring reverb.

Lately I've been questioning the place of the mighty FAS Modern III as my main live amp but got some reassuring feedback yesterday.
I was thinking that maybe it's too low end heavy and not enough bite in the upper mids but a friend of mine of whom I think very highly in regards to guitar tones told me that my live sound is VERY similar to that of Gojira's. That lead me to the conclusion that I'm not changing shit

Ps. I use 5150 Green as my clean channel. All the choices in the world and that's the one I chose...

I'm loving the new 2204 model lately, as well is the Plexi 100W High, Soldano SLO, and Friedman Dirty Shirley models.

I want to love the Friedman 2018 but find myself going back to the BE V2 model. 2018 is pretty bright?

For clean tones, FTR37 Lo into a mix of a Blue and G12H30 1x12 cabs, as well as the Morgan AC20 and Deluxe Reverb.

Back
Top Bottom