So what "modeling mode" are people liking?

I have reset my amp blocks as well as global settings and still find the "smooth" setting is the only way to stop high gain patches from being muddy with less oomph.

Authentic.

The one exception is the use of ideal/smooth when using the Bias Tremolo effect in the amp block with models that have a lot of crossover distortion when used. This coupled with raising the Power tube Bias abates the unwanted distortion considerably.

I also prefer the Authentic modes as I like it 'raw, rude, and nasty' too but man is it cool that you have the option to have smooth/polish tones available on a preset by preset basis. This flexibility is amazing...we can indeed have it all now!!

I had to change my post, as my opinion has been informed by my Dizzy patch, which has a GEQ block pre-cab with some mids taken out. I can't seem to get an 'un-adulterated' version I like. Even with amp mids low.

Examples:

Dizzy patch, mids at 6.5, no GEQ, no mic:

Dizzy patch with 0 mids, no GEQ, mic 67 cond:

My preferred patch - mids at 3.7, GEQ -5 @ 500, 67 cond:

While the other modeling settings might help, I still like the general feel and overall character of 'authentic'.

Last edited:
On my main preset, IDEAL/SMOOTH seemed to add volume, which was cool but also some unwanted characteristics. Authentic and smooth both sound nice - so far sticking with authentic.

Not directing this at any of the posters here, but I wonder if you changed the names the extent to which that would change people's impressions of which sounds best. Specifically, I wonder how many people would pick "authentic" no matter what?

that's a tough one, because with a word like "authentic" comes a lot of assumptions.

i'm not sure people are saying "authentic sounds best" rather than choosing it because they want to sound as close to the real thing as possible.

So far for the tones I use most and the patches I've put together from scratch, Smooth seems to work best.

As someone else said, I don't "dislike" any of them. I already know where I'll be using authentic in two patches, one I already have and one I'm working on.

This is some cool shiznit! I LOVE the tweaking and discovering new ways to do things.

Like Scott mentioned, I'm handling the setting on a preset basis but all of them have their place IMO. I like the ideal and smooth for my high gain stuff but I'm not sure if I'll like that with every high gain preset.

The more we play with this, I'd be curious to see if certain folks like certain settings based on the other aspects of their rig. For example, I wonder if everyone that uses a real 4x12 cab instead of FRFR likes "authentic" or folks that only use computer speakers like "ideal", etc.

Back
Top Bottom